PDA

View Full Version : Stra-do-lin Questions

TurkeysintheYard
Aug-26-2018, 6:20am
Morning Mando Fans, I have recently come into this little gem. What I know is that it's solid top, no truss rod, and has been played. I need better pics of fretwear, but def filed down. Anybody take a guess on the year? There's absolutely NO markings other than the head stock. Not sure if the top is carved or not. It's not flat. The Nut has seen better days too. I have not done anything to it yet, tuners are iffy, but it's close to playable! The bridge sits flat. The intonation is close, but not there. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks Everyone.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-26-2018, 7:30am
Mid to late 30's. Take a look at similar models in the Strad-O-Lin social group and post your pictures there as well.

TurkeysintheYard
Aug-26-2018, 9:10am
Mid to late 30's. Take a look at similar models in the Strad-O-Lin social group and post your pictures there as well.

Thanks Mike. Will do.

Jeff Mando
Aug-26-2018, 9:15am
Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Nice old Strad! I would start with new strings, then lubricate the tuners, and set the intonation. Then you can see how she sounds and determine what else, if anything, is needed. (lower action, fretwork, etc.)

Mandoplumb
Aug-26-2018, 3:41pm
Gibson mono steel strings before they became Sam Bush. I remember those, bought more than one set.

allenhopkins
Aug-27-2018, 3:35pm
Top (and back) are heat-pressed into domed profiles, not carved. SOP for less-expensive instruments of that era (and the present era).

I have one nearly like it, though with replacement bridge and tuners. It's my standard go-anywhere mandolin, the one I throw in the back of my car when I'm going someplace where there may be music. Just got back from taking it to "Crooktop" festival in Bradford PA. Great instrument for the price, can hold its own with much pricier mandolins. Congrats!

TurkeysintheYard
Aug-30-2018, 6:12pm
Thanks Allen, much appreciated. I'm not sure about the fret wear. first few are pretty flat, like they've been file down considerably. I'll probably just break down and bring to my local Luthier here in town, he's a pretty good guy.

Randi Gormley
Aug-31-2018, 10:21pm
Your luthier may be able to see inside the f -holes for a date stamp -- that's how I found the age of mine. It was stamped on the inside of the back up near where the fretboard begins. just a thought. nice strad.

TurkeysintheYard
Sep-08-2018, 6:16am
Thanks Jeff

Strabo
Sep-28-2018, 7:34am
I have a Stradolin of similar vintage. The tuners were balky and frustrating to use so I replaced them. I also installed a modern adjustable bridge (Cumberland) so I could set the action where I want.

It is a wonderful instrument -- it's not particularly loud, but it has excellent tone on all strings and plays beautifully and expressively. It is also quite versatile and seems to play all types of music equally well. I keep it handy so I can pick it up and play it at a moment's notice.

Stradolins are not especially visible or widely known in the mandolin world, certainly not like the Gibsons, Collings Webers, etc. Also, Stradolin history seems to be quite obscure, but nobody seems to care. These instruments are highly appreciated by those who have discovered their unique charm, especially their ability to outperform their modest dollar value.

You are fortunate to have acquired this little gem. Good luck with it!

allenhopkins
Sep-28-2018, 10:42am
... Also, Stradolin history seems to be quite obscure, but nobody seems to care...

I would mildly disagree with that statement. Here's (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9811671) a search on threads discussing "who made Strad-O-Lins?" -- and it only covers those threads mentioning Homenick Bros. as the possible manufacturers. Other "suspects" include Oscar Schmidt and Favilla.

Part of their puckish charm, the uncertainty as to their origin. It's really weird that no one has found a definitive answer -- some obscure centenarian stating that he/she worked in the Whatever Brothers factory building Strad-O-Lin mandolins.

And, of course, there could have been several sources for Strad-O-Lins. A conundrum...

MikeEdgerton
Sep-28-2018, 4:52pm
We do know who owned the brand name. They were a distributor and not a builder. I'm in Camp Favilla. It's not like nobody has tried to figure this out. I've devoted more of my life to trying to find out than I care to think about. :cool:

Gregoryp
Jan-04-2019, 12:10pm
Judging from the head and fret board, I'd say it is Favilla. Can't place the date because I don't know if the notched f-hole had a time period. 1940's?
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/35121-Stradolin/page3

Gregoryp
Jan-28-2019, 4:01pm
As late as 1950's? Model 7705?

Dave Fultz
Jan-29-2019, 6:47pm
Nice looking instrument. It’s a real peach.