PDA

View Full Version : MK strikes again.

357mag
Jul-20-2005, 6:45pm
Got caught up in a feeding frenzy the last month or so to spend a Grand or so on a new/used mando. Uh Uh. Just didnt have the dicipline. Needed a fix and needed it fast.
There was a MK "Classic" in The Classifieds. $550.00 almost mint with an Allen tailpiece and case. Got some pics. Gorgeous flame wood--- Oh well. Sent the MOs this morning. The next few days will be very strssful while I wait for it.

If it plays as good as it looks, I will again revel in affordable mediocraty. Michael Kelly rules! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

JEStanek
Jul-20-2005, 6:52pm
Hope you enjoy it.

Jamie

acumando
Jul-20-2005, 7:25pm
Looks like somebody snatched up the last of the $350 Legacy O's at MF... if i wasn't in the middle of a long-distance move i would've gotten one myself...

still some f-holes left, looks like
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7....3 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=guitar/s=acoustic/search/detail/base_pid/511753/)

bjc
Jul-20-2005, 7:49pm
and they had those lower line A's for $199 at MF...for a beater how bad could it be? Please, no Loar owners need to chime in...tee hee :-)

JKWMD
Jul-20-2005, 8:00pm
I purchased a MK Legacy Deluxe from MF for $299 as well. Just didn't like the workmanship or the dull sound. I sold it for a pretty nice profit (>$130) on eBay and ordered a Mid-Mo. Was that wrong? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Steve Cantrell
Jul-20-2005, 8:47pm
My Legacy Deluxe is a great mando with a good tone that has drawn compliments. A good bit of mando for the money. Maybe I just got a good one. So...is that wrong?

bjc
Jul-20-2005, 8:58pm
Every mando is different...just like everyone of my Les Pauls are different...some good, some not so good (I've sold the "not so good") but when you get a good one you hold on to it...

Steve Cantrell
Jul-20-2005, 9:02pm
I think you're right about that. Sure, I'd love to upgrade, but I don't think I'll be selling this mandolin with a great sound just because it says "MK" on the headstock. Sorry if I got a little peeved there. Life is good.

357mag
Jul-20-2005, 9:09pm
When I bought my first MK a little over a year ago, I was brand new to the mandolin. I bought it on the strngth of three things. It had a fairly good reputation on here. It was affordable, and to be honest, MK has some pretty slick advertising. It was/is a Firefly and is a 2003 from what I understand. I got it used, and after a set, it is quite acceptable for what it is.
Since then I have heard alot of folks complain about the detail in finishing and the general concensus seems to have gone down.(MK? Are you listening?)
The one I am getting is about a year old so I will have to wait and see.

pickinNgrinnin
Jul-20-2005, 9:46pm
It's possible you paid too much for the MK.

Elderly was selling this one new for $500.00 An upgraded tailpiece is nice but it's hard to imagine an MK would have that high of a resale value. The used mando market is not that whippy these days.

MK's were the rage here about a year or so ago. Did you get an approval period from the seller?

JKWMD
Jul-20-2005, 9:51pm
It seems like the Pac-Rims are pretty hit or miss. I've heard awesome Kentuckys and I've heard some pretty cruddy ones. I've heard an amazing Morgan Monroe and I've heard some really nasty ones, too. The MK I bought from MF could have most certainly sounded better after a professional set-up, but I still didn't like the loose tailpiece, the finish work in the scroll, or the finish. I had 45 days to return and figured I would give eBay a shot in the interim. Glad I did!

357mag
Jul-20-2005, 9:56pm
No. I bought it straight up. Didnt even know to ask about a return policy. The seller was legit and represented the mando for what it was. The set up I did on my own because of arthritis in my left hand and need a low action. Is a keeper. Even if I ever get in a position to afford a more serious instrument, Ill hang on to it. Most folks who have played it, like it and say its a pretty good value for the price. Hope the new one is as good.

arbarnhart
Jul-21-2005, 9:07am
I shop and buy at the low end, but I would be really cautious about a used low end mando. There are good ones out there, but if you read this thread the people that are the happiest talk about never selling. I have a '77 Takamine dreadnaught ("lawsuit" Martin copy) guitar that I will never sell. I have had two different guitarists, both quite skilled and both who own some nice instruments, tell me never to sell it but if I get desparate and stupid to call them first. One of them told me I probably would get under $500 for it and would probably have to hold out for some time to get close to that figure and there is no way I could get another like it for under a grand. Now, it is possible that someday I will have a few nicer ones or just not really care and sell it anyway. But the ones trading hands more often are probably not so special.

As I said, there are certainly exceptions, but I would want to play it first or have an approval period before I jumped at a deal on a used one (major caveat - if the model sells well and commonly for more on eBay, then I would be less afraid because I could just sell it).

Even buying cheap instruments new remotely, I do note that I am a discerning customer and will return the instrument for repair or replacement if it isn't a good one (politely tell the vendor to cherry pick mine if they don't want it back). My $200 Washburn had been removed from the plastic bag, bridge set reasonably well and strings detensioned only slightly for shipping. The finish on it is perfect. I know from discussion with others that not all of them ship that way.

Guitar Jeremy
Jul-21-2005, 9:21am
"I do try however to play the heck out of whatever mando I happen to be #playing. Way more fun than trying to come up with big bucks especially if you are married and or have kids."

I was happy to read that. I have a Phoenix because I'm a professional musician, and I needed a professional mandolin. However, I had to stop spending money on just about everything for several months to afford it, and that process was extremely difficult and frustrating at times.

Having more than my share would be a way to escape from my life. Sometimes, I fall into that pit. It is fun to constantly dwell on a next purchase, but I would rather use that energy for my relationships and artistic aspirations.

Keith Erickson
Jul-21-2005, 10:15am
357mag,

Best of luck to you on the your new MK. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Zimm
Jul-22-2005, 9:13am
I hope you enjoy your new MK. I have owned a Firefly Flame for a year and a half and I love it. I will confess that I played a few dozen MKs and not all of them sounded that great, but with a little patience I found one with great sound (to my ears anyway). I'd love to get one of those a-styles one day. Oh, and a legacy-o...

-John.

good_ol_al_61
Jul-22-2005, 9:41am
357mag:

Have had my MK Legacy Elegante Limited for about 4 months now. Love it. Does just what I thought it would do.

I still get compiments from those who own Flatirons, Gibsons and others. Three weeks ago, David Long picked it for a minute and said, "not bad". The compliments I mostly get are about the good looks of the instrument. A semi-endorsement to me is when Jesse McReynolds played it. I mentioned to him that it was an inexpensive import. He half-smiled and put his finger into the f hole and peered into the hole at the construction. "Well, it still sounds good and it looks well made." he remarked. Then he handed it back to me with a positive nod and look of approval. Very positive and wonderful moment for me. What more do you need than that?

I have however, just ordered an Arches A style. I will always keep my MK especially for use at jams. I will use my A for playing at family gatherings where a chop is not needed.

I hope you will enjoy your MK's as I have mine.

phriend2spin
Jul-22-2005, 9:43am
I too just bought the MK Legacy Deluxe and I love it. This was an upgrade from my first mando that was an electric/acoustic crafter. I play the crafter in a big church just about every other Sunday so I wanted to get something nicer. I looked around for the best deal and when I saw that musiciansfriend.com had these mandos for cheap I couldn't resist. My only complaint is that the first fret is a bit harder to play but man this thing is awesome. I am totally impressed with the finish and details. The tone is sharp and has great bite. I mean how can you go wrong with a $699.99 mando that was now $299.99? This has to be the best deal out there.

357mag
Jul-22-2005, 10:38am
Well thanks for all the good words, fellow MK,rs. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
I feel better already. My current one is also a Firefly. And coincidentaly, the first fret on it was also hard to play. A set up cured that though, and it plays very nicely now.
Guess Ill recieve my new/used one early next week. Maybe even Saturday(maybemaybemaybe).

Keith Erickson
Jul-22-2005, 10:56am
Well thanks for all the good words, fellow MK,rs. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
I feel better already. My current one is also a Firefly. And coincidentaly, the first fret on it was also hard to play. A set up cured that though, and it plays very nicely now.
Guess Ill recieve my new/used one early next week. Maybe even Saturday(maybemaybemaybe).
You know come to think of it, I had experience the same problem on the 1st fret with my MK A+. #

I just decided to continue to work at it and deal with it. #The mandolin sounds great and I'm able to achieve the sounds that I desire.

I wish you the best of luck. #It sounds like you are having fun with MAS on your MK's. # #

gnelson651
Jul-22-2005, 1:59pm
Interesting about the 1st fret being hard to play. I had the same experience when my $299 MK Legacy DLX from MF which arrived last Friday.

I spoke to MF about not receiving a warranty card. Apparently, MF just sends the instrument as received by the manufacturer. No setup in none. Of course, for a low price of $299 for a $699 MK, I wasn't expecting it to be set up.

Also had intonation problems on the treble side of the 10th fret. A professional setup cured the intonation problem but the action still seems too high for me. My fingers hurt after I play it awhile. I don't have this problem with my Eastman 805, the action is like butter. Wonder if the 1st fret problem has anything to do with the radiused fingerboard? Although, a few months ago I played a Rigel A Natural and the action was smooth as silk.

Anyone else buy a $299 MK from MF or Music123? If so, how was your experience?

Glenn Nelson
Las Vegas, NV

357mag
Jul-22-2005, 2:34pm
Glenn, along with what ever else was done to my Firefly when I had it set up, it was very visible that they cut the string notches deeper in the nut. That cured the first fret being hard to play. I even had light strings put on it because of this dang arthritis and it is fine now. No issues at all.
Im curious to see if the one being sent shows the same problem. If everything is OK and its just the first fret problem, I may just try to deepen then myself.

Tim Saxton
Jul-22-2005, 4:11pm
I just got my MF Legacy F4 mandolin. I pulled out of the box and tuned it up to pitch. It wont fret a clean note from the 6th fret to the 14th on any srting. Every one of those strings buzzes and rattles. I looked at the fret board and it seems to have a hump at the 12 fret or so. It then dips down and runs up to the nut. It is not a out of wack truss rod either. I adjusted the bridge and truss rod and this did not help. Unsure what to do. Maybe it needs to have the frets off and finger board planed and refretted.

I called MF and the are all out and wont exchange it for the more expensive ones they have in stock. I hate to send it back for a refund but I may have too.

Tim

ps. That is what I get for trying to buy one cheap.

357mag
Jul-22-2005, 4:46pm
Thats a shame. I would send it back in a heart beat and get out from under it. I was gonna say something before, but I dont know anything about the music industry. I was in the firearms business for many years at a distributer level so I dealt alot with the factories. They had whats called "Special production runs" X number of units would be turned out and distributed to discount houses like K-Mart etc. This was before the internet. These guns had many production and assembly corners cut to lower cost and addvertised cheap to the end user. Some got through the line OK and were fine. Others were junk. I just wonder if this is a similar situation. I saw the MK Lagacy O advertised at MF for $349.00. Elderly and others were holding the line at $745.00.?!?!?!
$299.00 aint exactly the cost of a loaf of bread.

GTison
Jul-22-2005, 4:55pm
send it back!

how bout MK vs. Eastman

357mag
Jul-22-2005, 5:48pm
No contest. I would love to have an Eastman. But with me, its a simple matter of economics. There will come a day when I can afford it but right now I need a MK type instrument to satisfy my M.A.S. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

arbarnhart
Jul-22-2005, 6:03pm
I called MF and the are all out and wont exchange it for the more expensive ones they have in stock. I hate to send it back for a refund but I may have too.

Contact MK directly. The mando is supposed to have a full manufacturer's warranty in a ddition to the vendor's return guarantee. The one difference is that MF will pay shipping for defective merchandise returns and you might have to pay shipping for a warrantied repair, but I would ask MK if they would pay shipping since it is brand new.

Tim Saxton
Jul-22-2005, 7:17pm
I called MK and they were gone to NAMM. They will be back on monday. I hope they would exchange it for me.

I took it the local luthier and he said the right repair is to have all the frets pulled and the fret board replaned and a total refret job. He also said that we could plane, crown, and dress the frets. However, the repair would chew away alot of the fret material that is there.

The problem is that the fretboard extension is too low. When the board was glued on it created a hump at the 12th fret.

Tim

357mag
Jul-22-2005, 7:42pm
That really seems like you should get satisfaction from somebody on that. Sounds like it never should have left the factory.DONT LET ANYBODY MONKEY WITH IT THOUGH.THAT`LL WIPE OUT THE WARRANTEE.
Good luck.

Hal Loflin
Jul-22-2005, 10:21pm
bigmon23 (Tim), When you call MK back ask for Tracy Hoeft. He is the guy in charge of MK. I met him two years ago at Merlefest at their booth and bought a mandolin from him. I had several set up questions after the purchase and he had given me his buisness card. He is a very nice guy and is very professional and proud of the MK mandolins. I feel sure that he will make it right for you.

banjomanva
Jul-22-2005, 10:48pm
I have a MK legacy evolution. I bought it from Musicians Friend also. Besides their packaging being VERY POOR and the mandolin not being set up correctly (it was set up, but not right) I am pleased over-all. The evolution looks funny without any binding, but the sound is incredible. (after i set it up correctly that is)

Keith Erickson
Jul-23-2005, 9:19am
The problem with buying stuff off the of the internet like MF, is that it get's bounced around in the mail like crazy. Regardless if it is USPS, FEDEX, UPS or DHL, the guys that handle that stuff at the air cargo and transfer stations, don't give a hoot what you have inside.

I kind of reminds me of that Samsonite commercial back in the 70's when they had those gorillas beatin' the living daylights out of the luggage before the passengers picked up there luggage from the airport. ( boy am I showing my age ) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Anyway, in short, If I can't try it out first, I'm not getting it. I've learned that a few months back.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

gnelson651
Jul-23-2005, 11:40am
8_String_Keith :

Anyway, in short, If I can't try it out first, I'm not getting it. #I've learned that a few months back.

It would be nice to be able to try before you buy but when you live in the Mando Desert, its hard to do so without taking a major trip to CA. Its cheaper to mail order and then return it if its not up to your liking.

Glenn Nelson
Las Vegas, NV

Tim Saxton
Jul-23-2005, 12:03pm
I agree 100%

Tim

Keith Erickson
Jul-23-2005, 4:19pm
8_String_Keith :

Anyway, in short, If I can't try it out first, I'm not getting it. #I've learned that a few months back.

It would be nice to be able to try before you buy but when you live in the Mando Desert, its hard to do so without taking a major trip to CA. Its cheaper to mail order and then return it if its not up to your liking.

Glenn Nelson
Las Vegas, NV
Glen,

I live in El Paso. The mando market is pretty much non-existant here. While I was in Tuscon, I went to the Folk Shop and found lot's of mandos.

To be honest with you, if I would have seen my MK A+ on the internet, I would not have purchased it.

The rule of thumb is when we go out of town, we try to find the nearest music shop with quality mandolins.

mpeknox
Jul-23-2005, 4:22pm
Tracy is the person you need to contact. You can also contact him through email from the MK website just type his name in the subject header so it gets to him.
Tracy is definitely the man to talk to. I was interested in getting a new nut for my MK and when I contacted him, he just mailed it out to me free of charge. He really is concerned about customer satisfaction.

walshb
Jul-24-2005, 5:48pm
I'm new here, and a (very) beginning mandolin player, and I recently ordered an MK Deluxe online. Can someone tell me what gauge strings they put on the MK's? Thank in advance!

Tomorrow night I should be http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif and I can't wait!

Hal Loflin
Jul-24-2005, 5:58pm
I have tried several brands and have settled on D'Addario J-74s (guages: .011-.015-.026-.040). You can get them on eBay for around $7.50 per set but Dix Bruce was selling them for $6 per set on the Cafe Classifieds. I have owned three MKs and used J74s on all three and they were great.

banjomanva
Jul-24-2005, 6:17pm
Hope you enjoy your new MK. Dont be too suprised if you have to raise the bridge immediately, especially if it came from Musicians Friend, but that is very easy to do.

walshb
Jul-24-2005, 6:24pm
Thanks for the quick replies!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

bjc
Jul-24-2005, 6:34pm
Tim, sound like you got a dud of all duds...I can't believe they won't let you upgrade...I bought something though MF and it got beat up in shipping. The guy on the line asked if I wanted to upgrade...I declined, but that seems a little strange to me...I mean, it's like you're saying I want to give you more money and they are saying no, no we couldn't possibly accept more money...guess it depends on who picks up the phone when you call....

Tim Saxton
Jul-26-2005, 11:50am
Ok,

I called and spoke with Tracy. He told me that there was nothing that he would do for me. He would not trade, repair, or exchange it. It was a close out color and not being replaced. He said that if he was to take it back it would have to be through MF. Well, as you all know, they wont exchange it because it was a close out and they have no more.

Just a word to the wise....... you get what you pay for, or in this case........what you don't.

Tim Saxton

JEStanek
Jul-26-2005, 12:06pm
Tim,
Bummer, I would say try again with everyone. The squeaky wheel get the grease. This is no way to maintain customer loyalty. MK has models going from $300->$1K. If you get treated right your chances of staying in the family or buying through MF are higher. Maybe a well written letter would help. Also, you could write and CC the better business bureau of MKs home town. That's alot of money to get a bum mando. MF would should be able to write off the cost and help you out...

Jamie

gnelson651
Jul-26-2005, 12:10pm
I recommend you read the warranty at Michael Kelly (http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/warranty.html).

Seems to me they are refusing to honor that warranty and in that case, any MK owner should be deeply concerned. The MF website did state that this mandolin came with a "2-year warranty on materials and craftsmanship."

In fact, I noted that MF has another set of $299 MK Legacy Deluxes for sale. Tim, get on the phone to MF right away to see if you can now trade your defective model.

I recommend that we, as the mandolin community and especially those of us who own a MK, write directly to Tracy that we will not stand for this #type of treatment of one of our own and will boycott their product.

Also I would register a complaint with the BB in Clearwater, Florida where MK is doing business.

Calling Mark Lane...what is your take on this?

357mag
Jul-26-2005, 12:23pm
Ditto, ditto and ditto. Close out or not. Discontinued or not. Its still a brand new instrument and the warrantee should be honored. If it was a set up issue, I suppose I would just go ahead and spend the extra money and have it made playable. But from what you have said, it sounds downright defective and never should have been shipped.

I would be glad to participate in a write in campaign with the folks from this forum if MK doesnt make it right.

gnelson651
Jul-26-2005, 12:48pm
Just a quick update, I wrote to Tracy Hoeft indicating my displeasure with his refusal to honor the warranty. Tim indicated that the mandolin is repairable so it is not a matter of a replacement. MK should either honor their warranty or forget getting any business from this community. I encourage that we need to write Mr. Hoeft that we will not forget this incident until it is properly handed.

Glenn Nelson
Las Vegas, NV

357mag
Jul-26-2005, 1:11pm
Glenn,to where do we write?

Tim Saxton
Jul-26-2005, 1:21pm
Let me just clarify this.

As I stated in an earlier post as well to Tracy. The frets need to ALL be pulled off and the entire board replaned and then refretted. This is the correct repair.

Furthermore, this is something that should not have to be done with a NEW mandolin regardless of a discontinued color or closeout etc... One that was taken out of a factory box. It was not purchased as a "Scratch and Dent" or "Refurb". It was new.

Tim Saxton

gnelson651
Jul-26-2005, 2:50pm
The email address is:

info@MichaelKellyGuitars.com

Be sure to put in the Subject line: To Tracy Hoeft

I just received a nice reply from Tracy. He indicated there is another side to this story in that Tim is demanding a new instrument and hung up on him when told he should deal through MF first. As Tracy noted, he can't communicate other options if a hardline is taken.

In reading the warranty, MK has the option to either repair or replace. Since Tim indicated that the instrument is repairable, MK has the "sole discretion" to repair the instrument. Based on this limited knowledge, I think that Tracy and Tim, along with MF need to work this thing out themselves.

It seems I have gotten myself in the middle of something I may not truly understand.

IMHO Tim, my suggestion to you is to try and work this thing out with Tracy and MF. It seems that these parties will work with you if you take a more moderate line of reasoning, to take the hardline will not get you very far. As a trained negotiator, I can recommend to you to look to these other options. If MK will repair the mandolin for you at no cost, you'll be ahead with a good bargin mandolin that is now and is under warranty. But this is my opinion and I won't say anything more about this unless there is more reason to do so.

Glenn Nelson
Las Vegas, NV

Tim Saxton
Jul-26-2005, 3:16pm
Ok.

I was not demanding what so ever!!!! This is BS. I asked......not demanded if he could exchange it for me. Through him. He told me that it would not be worth it to take it back and send it back to the factory for repair.

I said ok. He said I should get the problem worked out with MF and that he could not help me.

I can send it back for a refund. That is not a problem. I just wanted that mandolin. Thats all.

I did not hang up on him. We ended our conversation with a plesent good bye. Our conversation was not hostile. It was professional. He was professional.

My line of approach IS moderate. All I was hoping for was a solution from MK as suggested by several members of this board. There was none offered or given. MK did not offer to repair the mandolin. MF will refund my money. Thats cool. I just wanted to have that mandolin. The Legacy O regardless.

Glenn can you send me a copy of that email??

Tim

DryBones
Jul-26-2005, 8:40pm
new to posting here but have lurked for a while. Finally pulled the trigger on my first mando purchase. Found a dealer with a new lefty (yes,lefty) MK Legacy FS complete package. MK hardshell case,strap,tuner,extra strings,DVD the works..for $542 with free ship...did I do ok? I didn't want to start with a junker so I spent a few extra bucks for what I hope is a better "starter" give me some feedback please and thank you.

DB

357mag
Jul-26-2005, 9:32pm
DryBone,if you got a good one, you did OK. An FS sells in Baltimore for $545.00 at a shop. So your price was right. Im fairly new to this myself. I have two MKs(just got#2 today)If you followed this thread, there can be bad ones out there too.
Alot of folks on here have MKs and they are as good as anything out there in that price range. Good luck with yours.

DryBones
Jul-26-2005, 9:44pm
357mag,
yeah, that was the price range I was finding on the web for righties,not a lot of lefties to be found. I got free shipping and all the extras so I was hoping it was a good deal. I was told it was ordered by mistake on a special order for 1 but they ordered 2 so they were trying to move it out of inventory. thanks for the feedback. I will post when its in my hands.

DB

gnelson651
Jul-26-2005, 9:55pm
Tim,

I don't want to get into the middle of the "He said, she said" trap.

I did more then my part by sending my comments to MK on your behalf, based on what you told us happened. It is now a matter of perception, where perception is the reality. I thought I could try to help but it seems it is back firing.

Now its up to you to work it out however you choose. I'm done with it at this point.

Good luck with whatever path you take.