PDA

View Full Version : Wintergrass Headcount

G_Smolt
Jan-15-2004, 2:15pm
Hey, we need to get a headcount on all of the Cafe folks going to Wintergrass. #How many here will be at Ken's mando tasting?

This is mandoPete's question, posted on another thread...so, Who is gonna go?

I'll be there...I'm vetting the stable for the next month, trying to decide which 2 mandos to bring. At first, it was the Hughes and the Coleson, but now it might be the Ward and the Gatt...hmmm...so little time...

Scott Tichenor
Jan-15-2004, 2:30pm
Possibly

Spruce
Jan-15-2004, 2:43pm
I'll be there with mandolins and tonewood...

I'll be vending, so stop by the Orcas Island Tonewoods (http://www.rockisland.com/~tonewoods/) booth and show me a mandolin....

Looking forward to it...

Bruce

peterbc
Jan-15-2004, 3:19pm
I'll be there. I have it easy, I only have to choose between two mandolins, and seeing as one is electric... I'll bring my F style. I havn't figured out what days I'll be going, or where I'll be staying, but those are just minor details, right?

Oddname
Jan-15-2004, 3:51pm
I'm going to try and make it, but I'll have to see what the work load looks like and if I can come up Thurs/Fri.

-Dan

FishwaterInc
Jan-15-2004, 4:18pm
More than likely I'll be there on Saturday...not that the world of Mando Cafe is shaking with excitement on this news though http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mrmando
Jan-15-2004, 4:20pm
I'll be running the Rigel booth again. Should be interesting. Jimmy Gaudreau will be performing at the festival, so I'm hoping he stops by the booth.

Keith Newell
Jan-15-2004, 4:58pm
What day will the mandotasting be?
Keith

Brier
Jan-15-2004, 7:21pm
I will be there. The last "Tasting" was Great!

Peter.

mandolooter
Jan-15-2004, 7:24pm
Me too!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

scgc.om
Jan-15-2004, 9:25pm
I'll be there Thurs aft - Sun pm. Went for 1st time last year - loved it!! Trying to get more sleep saved up beforehand - last year I slept only 4 or 5 hours per night. Mando tasting will be great - also hoping to bend Greg Boyd's ear a bit.

Jan-16-2004, 6:36pm
I'm sure this has already been posted but when is the event?

zeke
Jan-16-2004, 7:23pm
I guess it's getting toward that time where all good li'l west coast pickers migrate to Tacoma for the winter festival fix. I'm in.

Keith Newell
Jan-16-2004, 7:42pm
I'll try again...WHEN is the mandotasting? I can only go for a day so I would like to try to do it on the mandotasting day.
Keith Newell

peterbc
Jan-16-2004, 9:42pm
I think it's Thursday. How does the tasting work? Is it just a bunch of people in a room swapping mandos? Also, is there some sort of set time for it? I won't be able to leave Seattle until Thursday at about 5:30 (if I'm lucky) but would like to see, hear, and play other instruments.

Mando Medic
Jan-17-2004, 1:01am
The Mandolin Tasting is tentativly scheduled for Thursday night. Problem is scheduling. There is a new bluegrass documentary showing that night and Third Tyme Out is also performing that night. That's a lot of competition. Do you think we can get an audience with those odds? Ken Cartwright

mandopete
Jan-17-2004, 12:55pm
Thanks for the post Mark!

I will be there, but may not be able to make it Thursday night as work gets really busy in February with my semi-annual business review at the software factory.

I am hoping to sit down for some mando-swapping (it's like wife-swapping without the guilt!) I hope to have use of the radio room, which makes a nice venue for this sort of thing.

Mr Tichenor - please let us know if you are comming, I would be really great to meet you after all of these years!

mandopete
Jan-17-2004, 1:02pm
I'm sure this has already been posted but when is the event?
Right here (http://www.wintergrass.com)

Tacoma, Washington

Mando Medic
Jan-27-2004, 11:46am
We have a green light for a mandolin tasting and recording at Wintergrass for Thursday evening. I would like to know how many folks on this list are, A. Going, and B. Would be able to loan us their mandolin for the tasting?

Mando Medic
Jan-27-2004, 12:02pm
Hit the darned send key before I was finished! Haven't really settled on a them yet, but do want to consider mandolins under $1500 and instruments that have not been tasted yet. Might have time for two tastings. Please contact me at kenc@wvi.com.

Pete Martin
Jan-27-2004, 12:15pm
I'm going.

ericwall
Jan-27-2004, 8:03pm
Everyone, please bring your high end mandolins for me to try. I'm looking eagerly to upgrade my 2000 Lebeda F5 and desperately need to try mandos I can't find in my area. I may have to make it Ken's shop. I will be there from Friday noon to Sunday!
Look for the bewildered bearded guy with stickers on his mandolin case! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tim Saxton
Jan-27-2004, 10:15pm
I am going and will be staying at the Venue. Will be there thursday afternoon till sunday evening.

Tim Saxton

Richard Polf
Jan-28-2004, 2:36am
I'm going.

Richard Polf

JamesBryan
Jan-29-2004, 4:13pm
Got the green light to leave wife and kids to fend for themselves for 2 days, will drive up from Portland Fri am. #and return Sun. noonish. #Sorry to miss the tasting. #Locals wanting to carpool, drop a line.

Will get a room somewhere else in town and will be roaming with ears open, esp for swing tunes. #Anyone up for a swing jam, let me know! #Will be carrying cell ph: 503-708-1286 #[w/ buzzer on and ringer turned off! #cell phones ringing during jams, there's another 'new millenium' phenomenon for you...]

Jim

mrmando
Jan-29-2004, 9:36pm
Hi Ken -- are you bringing that Jethro to the tasting?

I will be at the Rigel booth again and should have some other Rigel-goodies to sample.

I am on the Steve Smith Siren tour list, and a while ago I calculated that if everything went according to plan I would have that instrument during the week of W'grass. I don't know if it's still on track or not. If I happen to have it then I will certainly make an effort to get it entered in the Tasting.

On a related topic, would anyone allow me to unroll a sleeping bag on your hotel room floor for a night or two? Send me a private message about this. I can pay $20 or so but I can't afford the going price for a bed.

Mando Medic
Jan-30-2004, 12:17am
What I would like to do for the mandolin tasting is to taste instruments under $1500. So if you have a new or used, commercially or privately made mandolin that sold new for under $1500 Please contact me at kenc@wvi.com and we'll see if we have enough for a tasting. The last two years we have tasted lots of high end things, this year I'd like to got the other way. There will be one Loar in the mix, just to keep it interesting. Ken Cartwright

Mando Medic
Jan-31-2004, 12:27pm
The other direction we may look at is small builders that retail their instruments for under $2000.

oldwave maker
Jan-31-2004, 1:03pm
the old wave booth will be there thurs-sun featuring several stringed wooden toys under 2k, a nekkid mesquite fhole a topped with some of spruce's new mottled redwood, the banjojoke bass, etc, stop by for some fresh melon......happy to toss anything in the tasting ring

Mando Medic
Feb-01-2004, 8:02pm
Bill, I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Do you make any mandolins under $2000? Ken Cartwright

Richard Polf
Feb-02-2004, 2:40am
Mando Medic,

I'm almost afraid to suggest it, but I'd like to offer my Tacoma M3 for the tasting in Tacoma (sorry, just couldn't resist). I really like mine, but many people in the Bluegrass world just don't care for them. I'd love to finally hear for myself how it measures up (or not) against instruments of similar price range.

Thanks, Richard

oldwave maker
Feb-03-2004, 2:11am
Ken- my a's are still 1850 usd, still trying to decide on an advertising slogan:
'inexpensive and built to stay that way'
'none of our mandos suck'
'when 'good enough' costs more than a mexican liver transplant'

Keith Newell
Feb-07-2004, 4:04am
I cant make it till Friday to Wintergrass but some really good friends of mine will be there Thursday and will bring my A style mandolin (most recent creation). If I can get it into mandotasting great if not just play the Cr*p outa it for me so it opens up more...it has about 2 hours playing from a local session on it.
Keith Newell
http://home.comcast.net/~mandolinkgn/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

thunderplucker
Feb-11-2004, 3:52pm
I will be there all four days. I would like to hook up with folks to do some pickin. I will also have all of my fossil walrus ivory bridges, picks, and other parts as well as one of my flamed redwood top F mandolin and a new flight case prototype if anyone is intereted. you can email me at kurt@huskyacoustics.com or call on my cel 907-841-7011 if you want to get together and pick at the festival or see any of my products for sale. Hope to see you all there.

Slim Papa
Feb-17-2004, 11:40pm
I'll be going, my 9th year now. Wouldnt miss it, (Well ok,I missed the first one)

Scott Tichenor
Feb-19-2004, 4:51pm
With Ken not coming and no Mandotasting, where's the party?

Spruce
Feb-19-2004, 5:12pm
We can have a little mando-tasting at my place...

Or maybe we can get the same room that the mando-tasting has been for the past couple years and have our own?

I know of at least 3 Loars that will be floating around and a lot of good new mandolins, so it should be a hoot...

mrmando
Feb-19-2004, 6:42pm
Well, I e-mailed Ken to ask him whom at Wintergrass to contact about the room.

If that doesn't pan out, let's do Spruce's place, or the Rigel booth (we can "taste" 7 or 8 Rigels).

G_Smolt
Feb-19-2004, 7:11pm
We should just take over the hallway in front of the ballroom...

I am bringing a new Hughes, a CE Ward and a Coleson, and my roomie G. Fisher will probably be armed with his usual, formidable arsenal of Brentrups, Laplants and Smith Creeks.

Mebbe we get the resident HRD, Chef and Tonemeister Scott T. to play all of our mandos...?

Feb-19-2004, 7:32pm
How many Kansans going? Anyone want to earn a little bit of money?

Scott Tichenor
Feb-19-2004, 7:43pm
Ken just called and the MandoTasting is back on!

mandolooter
Feb-25-2004, 9:01pm
Startin to get a little antzy here, Wintergrass starts tomorrow! Just put on the J74's for the tasting but I hate em. Maybe when they die down some they'll sound better. The FT74's sound way better on my mando to me and Im so used to the ease of my pick sliding over em it's gonna take some getting used too just to play like normal now. I'll see ya folks there!
Jeff

hickeymad
Oct-06-2019, 6:01am
New to the cafe. I’m going!

Mandobart
Oct-08-2019, 7:24am
New to the cafe. I’m going!

Welcome! You realize this thread was about a get together 15 years ago - I don't know if there is anything cafe-specific for Wintergrass 2020. We had a similar mando tasting that Martin put together a few years ago at Wintergrass.