PDA

View Full Version : Little Sadie (NMC)

Mark Gunter
Aug-16-2018, 3:57am
Got a couple new picks and a new capo in the mail today, and they sounded good to me on a new (cheap) guitar I bought last month, so I recorded this tune and made a collage video as a backdrop to include the lyrics. It's a little macabre, I know, I'm a sucker for murder ballads.

Lyrics:
"Hacks and buggies" - a hack is a type of horse drawn carriage; that use of the word is archaic now for the most part.
"standin' on a corner readin' a bill" - this refers to a handbill, probably a 'wanted poster'

ffBszfoI1hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBszfoI1hs

Bertram Henze
Aug-16-2018, 4:59am
What do you mean, ball and stripes - no death sentence? :cool:

Roger Adams
Aug-16-2018, 8:59am
One of my favorites old ballads. Nice job. That little Gretsch sounds great!

Drew Egerton
Aug-16-2018, 11:12am
nice job Mark! Always one of my favorite killin songs. Sounds great!

CES
Aug-16-2018, 12:06pm
Very nice, Mark! Amazing how good some of the less expensive flattops out right now (Gretsch, Recording King, and Seagull come to mind) are sounding. I’ve just downsized, otherwise I would have come home with a smaller bodied Recording King I played about 2 weeks ago...

Mark Gunter
Aug-16-2018, 2:14pm
Very nice, Mark! Amazing how good some of the less expensive flattops out right now (Gretsch, Recording King, and Seagull come to mind) are sounding. I’ve just downsized, otherwise I would have come home with a smaller bodied Recording King I played about 2 weeks ago...

I played a Yamaha 12 string yesterday at the music store that had a killer tone, perfect action, very nice grade AAA spruce top, near perfect fit and finish with bound fret board, etc. for $325 - hard to believe some of the stuff coming out of the Pacific rim right now.

John Kelly
Aug-17-2018, 5:24am
Great performance, Mark. I liked the contrast between the pace and brightness of the playing and singing and the gruesome subject matter of the ballad.

Jim Armstrong
Aug-17-2018, 9:38am
Great sound and video! Thanks for getting my Friday off to a good start.

Mark Gunter
Aug-17-2018, 10:05am
Your comments are much appreciated, thanks guys.

Mark Wilson
Aug-17-2018, 11:28am
That's a pretty neat video composition. Well done on the tune. What key was that? I've played it in Dm

MissingString
Aug-17-2018, 12:09pm
Love playing that song on clawhammer banjo. Easy but powerful.
Great version Mark! Thanks for posting this.

Mark Gunter
Aug-17-2018, 6:43pm
That's a pretty neat video composition. Well done on the tune. What key was that? I've played it in Dm

I've played this for years in Dm, Mark, but that day I left the capo on and played it in Em.

There are numerous songs I love to play capoed at 2, mostly in C (D), but I absolutely hate capos. I just got a Planet Waves NS capo in the mail on the recommendation of Chris Bowsman, and it works better than all my others so far.

One thing I particularly hate about capos even when they work is that they tend to interfere with my index finger knuckle when I play an F shape chord with thumb on bass, and it's a necessary chord shape for stuff I play. I think I might be able to adjust to this capo, though. On this Gretsch, the nut has sharp corners that also cause trouble with that chord, so I have to do a bit of work on it to round those over.

Another problem with this Gretsch was the dead flat finish on the neck, it felt a bit "abrasive" and just felt bad to my hand. I scuffed it with 400 grit paper and feels like a dream now.

Don Grieser
Aug-17-2018, 7:20pm
Sounds great, Mark. Thanks for posting.