PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin master Class by Brad Laird

csstanley
Jul-20-2005, 12:34pm
Well, I'm a little over half way finished with the book and am really enjoying the challenge.

The class is really meant for a nonbeginner like me. Its for those that have been playing for a while, probably longer than 5 or 6 months but if you have an idea on scales, "Nashville numbering" i.e. I IV V, and arpeggios you'll pick it up fairly quick. I was sort of use to this from playing guitar for 9 years now.

To start off he really emphasises learning the scales to every major and minor scale. He breaks them down G, G#, all the way through. You pick up on the minors from this.

He then jumps into Pentatonic scales and the purpose of using them in improvising.

It comes with a CD, which I haven't listened to yet, that has a metronome on it to get your timing down.

For someone with as little musical education as I have, which is none, its fairly simple and easy to understand.

I saw where Brad has posted this in the classifieds. If your looking for something good, then this is it. And just to let you know, I don't have any financial interest in this. Just a happy customer.

Oh yeah, he also has 6 different small self tests at the back to test yourself on what you know and need to work on.

There is a picture in their of a brain and underneath it says: It's not the type of pick you use. It's not the brand of strings. This is where it happens!

Here's the website: http://www.duck-wave.com/mandouniversity/

Flatpick
Jul-20-2005, 2:59pm
I've been going through the book myself and it has helped alot. I highly recommend it.

Great job Brad http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif Flatpick

AW Meyer
Jul-21-2005, 10:31am
I, too, have just been working my way through the book. Prior to getting the book, I just kind of looked to "discover" patterns up the neck that work -- a kind of haphazard method. Brad's book has brought order to my chaotic way of improving my improvisational skills.

I certainly prefer "theory based" instruction to those books and videos that show you how to learn someone's arrangement of a fiddle tune note-for-note. They don't do much to help the player understand why he or she is playing the notes.

Thank you, Brad for a great instructional book.

jim_n_virginia
Jul-23-2005, 9:26pm
Just got Brad's book yesterday and started on it today. It looks just as he described it, made for intermediate players looking to go to the next level.

It looks very interesting and I hope it will help me with my progress.

I e-mailed Brad and he said he was willing to help if I get stuck somewhere.

I like the book so far because it is just not another book full of licks but something that will make me think.

good luck everyone in their studies! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Flatpick
Jul-27-2005, 9:18am
This is a Great Book, I've learned much and there is much more to learn. Some great practice tips and scales and arpeggios. If you learn everything that is offered in this book you will no doubt go to the next level and beyond.

Flatpick http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

csstanley
Jul-27-2005, 9:29am
I've finished the book and going through the Appendix.

May go through the book again to re-take everything in. A LOT of information in here. Very good stuff. I've learned SO much more in the last month or two than the last 6 months on the beginning Mando book.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-03-2005, 11:41pm
I'm about half way through the book and I love it. It is packed with good usable stuff.

But I can tell I may have to go over the book again or maybe a few times to get everything to stick. Hard to believe there is so much info in such a thin book.

I don't know it this book will take me to that next level (I certainly hope so though!) but I know I will be heading in the right direction. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

AW Meyer
Aug-04-2005, 10:38am
I emailed Brad the other day to give him some feedback about the book and he informed me that a second book is on the way that picks up where Mandolin Master Class leaves off. I eagerly anticipate the new one.

csstanley
Aug-04-2005, 11:21am
Cool

I've finished it altogether and really just thinking on what I've read. I plan on going over it again to sak in more.

I have to say that it has helped me in my right hand left hand coordination a little better. Working on those arpeggios and scales and really thinking of what I'm doing on the fret board and striking the strings.

It's even helped me with music theory. All around this is a great book to have. And I can't wait for the next one to come out.

Sherry Cadenhead
Jun-18-2017, 9:46pm
Where can I find this book? I can't find where to buy it from Brad and it's not available on Amazon.

Mark Gunter
Jun-19-2017, 12:04am
You can get it here Sherry: https://payhip.com/bradleylaird

It's only available in e-book (PDF) format these days. I recently started a study group on this book, and Brad pops in there from time to time to chime in. You're welcome to join us if you want to: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=311

Sherry Cadenhead
Jun-23-2017, 7:06pm
Thanks, Mark!

bradlaird
Jun-23-2017, 8:24pm
Thanks Mark and also Sherry... Wow! I can't believe this thread started in 2005! That old website address in the first posting has been defunct for a pretty good while. Mark posted the correct link.

Have fun and happy pickin!

Sherry Cadenhead
Jun-23-2017, 10:04pm
Thanks Mark and Brad. The package download I bought won't open after downloading it on my tablet and when I try to open the study group site​, I get a message mobile access isn't supported. Any suggestions? If not, I'll try the Verizon store.

bradlaird
Jun-24-2017, 8:40am
Sherry, I just sent you an email with a few questions and suggestions since it easier to help you with back and forth emails rather than here on the cafe.

But, for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this (about your difficulty in getting things up and running on a tablet) I have a page on my site which I wrote to offer some insight and suggestions:

http://www.bradleylaird.com/mandou-site/tips-for-downloading.html

I am going to suggest that it might be better to go first to my own site for more information (and descriptions, sample pages, etc.) (http://www.bradleylaird.com/mandou%2Dsite/) rather than directly to "download store" because it is there where I attempt to advice iPad users, etc. about the easiest way to get the materials.

Lastly, I will say that it will always go with fewer technical hiccups if a person uses their laptop or desktop for downloading. Almost every case of "technical difficulty" is traced back to a tablet or phone. There are some things those "smart" devices are really good for, but downloading and unzipping PDFs, folders full of MP3 tracks, video files (in some cases), etc. and "playing them" is almost surely easier on a full-blown laptop or desktop system.

Lately I am seeing a few examples of boomers who have set up their elderly parents up with a tablet device and they may not even have another "computer." I put computer in quotes because it is easy to sometimes assume that a tablet will do anything a "computer" will do but it's just not so. One issue that often arises is storage space. If a person is downloading 8 mandolin video lessons they may simply not have enough available space on their tablet gizmo to handle all of that. But the complications only start there. I will not go through the list of possible issues because there are just too many tablets/smartphones out there to address them all. In the interest of full disclosure: My 9 year old has an iPad but I don't and I sometimes have to ask him how to use it! :crying:

Bottom line. If you have a laptop or a desktop computer that's the way to go. And, as always, whenever a person has some difficulty I encourage them to send me an email (just hit contact at the top of my home page) and I will do my level best to help in any way I can. Messages via Twitter, Facebook, in a forum, etc. might be missed but a standard email I'll see pronto.

Mark Gunter
Jun-24-2017, 8:54am
Sorry for your troubles Sherry. There are tons of great stuff to help you in the general forum here, and there are also many social groups here you may someday wish to browse and join. Unfortunately, the mobile version of the site does not support the extra stuff, so if you are on a tablet and wish to see the extras that this site has to offer, you can switch from "mobile" to "full site" view. Look for a link at the bottom of the forum mobile page.

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-28-2017, 3:48am
Just going to wait to download this onto my laptop Thursday. Using a borrowed tablet right now and waiting a couple more days to get the laptop back from the shop will be worth it. I think this course is what I need to get me to the next level.

Bill Kammerzell
Jun-28-2017, 3:57am
That $35.00 for the complete learning system looks like a heck of a deal! I will be copping that Thursday as soon as the Head Geek brings my machine back to the house! Great Brad! (NFI).

Posterboy
Jul-10-2017, 5:06am
I've just bought the Mandolin Learning System as a guitarist with his 1st mandolin some structure to my fumbled learning will be well received!!!!

fishing_with_john
Jul-10-2017, 7:14am
I also have found quite a bit of use from Mr. Laird's books and his podcast! Good stuff.

choctaw61
Jul-23-2017, 12:39pm
You can't go wrong ordering the comeplete learning system(NFI)!I ordered it and there's enough info to keep one busy for a while. I absolutely believe it will take u to most any level your striving for.

smokinop
Jul-28-2017, 9:53am
Hey y'all,
Just bought the complete learning system from Brad & found this group on the Cafe. I've been seriously playing mandolin for about 10 years, mostly fiddle tunes. Until recently, I was gigging in a couple of different bands mostly playing electric & acoustic guitar but due to some family issues have given most of that up. I still play guitar at church & the occasional fill in or charity gig. Like I said, this past year has been filled with personal issues that have kept me away from the mandolin. This past weekend I went to an old-time music jam and there were no mandolin's so I had a chance to play it a lot & actually remembered some things...bottom line is I had a blast playing. I have really missed playing the mando and having met Brad a couple of months ago I thought this would be a great time to regroup & go through these courses. I just started on the Master Class material last night & I'm attempting to approach these lessons thoroughly without rushing or skipping the "hard" stuff. My goal is to learn to improvise better along with cleaning up some severe technique issues that I seem to reinforce every time I play.

Thanks to all who are contributing to this group. I look forward to learning along with the opportunity to make new friends.

Kevin O'Lear

Posterboy
Jul-31-2017, 3:02am
These books and his podcast episode Practice vs Playing are my guiding light at the moment

A#Bb
Aug-30-2017, 7:37am
Brad's "Mandolin Master Class" book is one of the best i have found. Very well written and Brad makes it easy to understand. Thanks Brad for all your books and videos that you have done for those of us who love playing the mandolin!