PDA

View Full Version : My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

Caleb
Aug-05-2018, 9:31am
I turned 44 not long ago and for some reason found myself shelling out cash for a shiny blue Fender Stratocaster. I've not played electric guitar in many years but I'm having a blast. My poor mandolin hasn't been out of the case for days. I'm now Jonesing for a Marshall amp. What kind of madness is this? Midlife meltdown? Will it pass? HELP.
:crying:

lenf12
Aug-05-2018, 9:55am
It could be worse. You could have taken up golf :))

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Roger Moss
Aug-05-2018, 10:16am
"Gam zeh ya'avor"

Marcus CA
Aug-05-2018, 10:53am
170016the best of both worlds

lenf12
Aug-05-2018, 11:18am
170016the best of both worlds

And you don't need a Marshall amplifier. A Fender will do quite nicely.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Bertram Henze
Aug-05-2018, 11:21am
It could be the beginning of cool multitrack recordings and videos. :cool:

stevedenver
Aug-05-2018, 11:22am
I turned 44 not long ago and for some reason found myself shelling out cash for a shiny blue Fender Stratocaster. I've not played electric guitar in many years but I'm having a blast. My poor mandolin hasn't been out of the case for days. I'm now Jonesing for a Marshall amp. What kind of madness is this? Midlife meltdown? Will it pass? HELP.

Not for several years...longer if you get in a band.

Marshall....? 2204.

Or a clone, freidman, etc.

Btw, fenders are lovely too. Use a pedal...or.....
Go big.....a matchless dc 30r.
Id skip the stacks....makes yer pant legs flap, and big grin, but, hard to move, no longer practical...ive got a 6100 in blue...love it. Pita to travel with compared to a 1x12 50w combo.

Bertram Henze
Aug-05-2018, 11:23am
And you don't need a Marshall amplifier. A Fender will do quite nicely.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

...or a Vox AC 30

Caleb
Aug-05-2018, 11:26am
Not for several years...longer if you get in a band.

Marshall....? 2204.

Or a clone, freidman, etc.

Btw, fenders are lovely too. Use a pedal...or.....
Go big.....a matchless dc 30r.
Id skip the stacks....makes yer pant legs flap, and big grin, but, hard to move, no longer practical...ive got a 6100 in blue...love it. Pita to travel with compared to a 1x12 50w combo.

Yes, Fenders are nice too. Last time I had an electric rig I had a Crate Vintage Club, which is basically like a Fender Blues Jr. Very nice amp, and it looked the "vintage" part since it was all blond and gold. These can still be had on the used market for a song. As far as pedals go, I'm a guitar-into-amp kind of player. All those pedals are a distraction. Just give me a good guitar and a good amp with reverb and I'm set.

Mark Gunter
Aug-05-2018, 11:27am
I bought a new Gretsch acoustic last month, G9521 Style 2 000 slotted head 12-fret to play around with. It took me about a month to warm up to it, but I've had such a blast with it this week I've gone all week without touching the mandolin until this morning. No worries about it for me, though, my love for mandolin hasn't dwindled. Sometimes guitars just call out to me these days. I like the sound and size of the mandolin too much to give it up; someday I hope to be an adequate player on it.

lenf12
Aug-05-2018, 11:42am
I like the sound and size of the mandolin too much to give it up; someday I hope to be an adequate player on it.

Don't we all??? :crying: ;)

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

stevedenver
Aug-05-2018, 12:21pm
Yes, Fenders are nice too. Last time I had an electric rig I had a Crate Vintage Club, which is basically like a Fender Blues Jr. Very nice amp, and it looked the "vintage" part since it was all blond and gold. These can still be had on the used market for a song. As far as pedals go, I'm a guitar-into-amp kind of player. All those pedals are a distraction. Just give me a good guitar and a good amp with reverb and I'm set.

Peavy classic 30 , good tube amp, very affordable, tweed too!
Hot rod devilles are superb, affordable imho, and i have one, amp that is...lol.

I happen to get chills when i hear a "fender through a fender", clean.

Otho, i am a les paul/tele guy. Like dirt too.
Id strongly suggest ceriatone, they build superb marshall, hi watt, matchless, and other clones, and use the right trannys for vintage sound. P-t-p wired, superb, a great quality and way easier to bias than older marshalls. Way less too. Just no nameplate, which i got over long ago.

Yeah 44 might have some impact.....seems the bug bit hard around that age for me too, disposble income, career stability, no longer young or cute.....etc...

Way cheaper than a new girlfriend or ferrari...just for perspective....lol.

Caleb
Aug-05-2018, 12:55pm
I know Marshalls aren't everyone's cup of tea, and the hybrids in particular, but back in the early 2000s when I was heavy into the blues, they had a line of amps called Valvestates with tube preamps. I've always wanted one and plan on getting one to go with my Strat. I'll keep you all posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgYFxxrVLk

I wish the guy had used a Strat...

F-2 Dave
Aug-05-2018, 4:35pm
Know what you mean. My telecaster stays tucked away most of the time, but recently after buying a super cheap MIM Duo-Sonic at a pawn shop, the guitar bug has bit again. The tele is out and plugged into the silver faced Princeton Reverb, ready at a moments notice to wail away (as soon as I have the house to myself). Enjoy your Strat.

darrylicshon
Aug-05-2018, 4:45pm
I have many guitars, don't play them much, so I bought the Eastwood Morris The Cosey , it's a lot of fun to play and it looks like a F style , it's the one in the middle

jaycat
Aug-05-2018, 9:26pm
I played a buddy's electric bass at a jam Friday night, and guess what, yesterday found myself at the local music shop forking over for a bass and bass amp. Spent this morning playing along with Muddy Waters songs...

MikeZito
Aug-05-2018, 9:54pm
For a very brief time, my mandolin took a back seat to a stunning Gretsch G5422G 12-string electric . . . I guess 8 strings weren't enough to try to keep in tune!

Dave Greenspoon
Aug-05-2018, 10:04pm
Nice! Not the wisdom, nor the idiom, I expect to see here. Gam zu l'tovah!

soliver
Aug-05-2018, 10:05pm
It'll be ok, Caleb, once your Stratocaster is done digesting and poops out your Collings, you can just send it over to me. I'll take care of it for you.... I'll PM you my address :))

Jack Roberts
Aug-05-2018, 10:06pm
I've been ignoring my mandolin for the past few weeks in favor of a hand-built dulcimer. I've been trying to figure out the dulcimer, which is almost completely, but not quite, not the same as a mandolin...

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-06-2018, 3:03am
Enjoy it Caleb. I do play my Tokai elec.Guitar every now & again & it's a real buzz !. I spend much of the time trying to programme the most ridiculous sound effects into my old Zoom 9002 effects processor,
Ivan:grin:

mando_dan
Aug-06-2018, 8:41am
Funny, I'm 47 and for no good reason at all I recently bought a Fender MIM Mustang equipped with P-90s. Cheap but FUN guitar that oh so wants to play CCR AND Nirvana! My amp is little tube Bugera V5 that can actually be played at home acceptable volumes due to a built in attenuator that drops the voltage down to either 1 or 0.1 W. After swapping the two stock China-made tubes and replacing the stock speaker with an Eminence 820H it sounds superb! The funny part about all this- I'm a terrible guitar player, have zero free time, and have next to no expendable income for frivolities like this. Middle age hit hard....

Perry
Aug-06-2018, 9:14am

I spent many year with mandolin even to the extent of not touching my guitar(s) sometimes for almost a year at a time. But then I picked up my guitars; learned to flatpick on them then started learning solo jazz guitar.

I still play the mandolin and love it but there is something way more satisfying about a guitar especially in a solo (by yourself) context.

I have several nice acoustics. On the electric side I recently got a Danocaster Tele and usually play it through a Headstrong Lil King which is a Princeton Reverb copy. Here is a sample of both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulZ1mLWugAw

MediumMando5722
Aug-06-2018, 11:49am
My main squeeze is an ‘87 USA Standard Strat w/ Texas Special pickups. They sound great set really low. I play it through an old Super Reverb, with a handful of dirt boxes. 11s, highish action, usually tuned Eb. You might say I’m into SRV :)

What Strat did you get?

jaycat
Aug-06-2018, 12:04pm
Nice playing Perry.

Caleb
Aug-06-2018, 12:16pm
My main squeeze is an ‘87 USA Standard Strat w/ Texas Special pickups. They sound great set really low. I play it through an old Super Reverb, with a handful of dirt boxes. 11s, highish action, usually tuned Eb. You might say I’m into SRV :)

What Strat did you get?Sounds like a nice setup. I bought a Squier Deluxe Strat in daphne blue. It has the Duncan-type pickups, but I scrubbed off the logo from them. I have always liked the high-end Squier stuff, and the Deluxe model had the neck shape I wanted. I’d made some offers on Reverb with no takers, and out of the blue one popped up on my local Craigslist. I’ve been having a blast with it.

Elliot Luber
Aug-06-2018, 12:44pm

I take a mandolin hiatus about once a year to play guitar solidly for a few weeks. It clears my head and eventually inspires me with a new perspective on mandolin. Also, it reinforces just how bad I have become on guitar. LOL

jesserules
Aug-06-2018, 5:24pm
I turned 44 not long ago and for some reason found myself shelling out cash for a shiny blue Fender Stratocaster. <>What kind of madness is this?

Insufficient information.

Daphne blue? Lake Placid blue? Sonic blue? Mystic Ice blue? ...

Caleb
Aug-06-2018, 8:49pm
Insufficient information.

Daphne blue? Lake Placid blue? Sonic blue? Mystic Ice blue? ...

Daphne (see pic).

BrianWilliam
Aug-07-2018, 6:39am
+1 for Stevie!

My strat has been in the closet under the stairs for 5 years.

What Strat did you get?

Mando Mort
Aug-07-2018, 7:40am
I multi-task between Mando, acoustic and electric guitars, electric bass and keyboards. I enjoy playing them all!

roysboy
Aug-07-2018, 10:09am
As they might have said in Spinal Tap " Well......its two more strings than a mandolin isn't it ?" ( or two LESS ...hmmmmm ? )

The place I happen to be sitting determines what I like playing best at that moment . A chair with arms means I'll pick up my mandolin . A chair or stool without arms meansI'll pick up the guitar . A Lazy Boy means " Don't wake me 'til dinner ".

LostVenture
Aug-07-2018, 1:01pm
To the OP.
You know that there are 24 hours in a day, right?
That's plenty of time to spend with all of your instruments.
I have 30+ electrics and 4 mandolins, always a couple of each in easy reach.
Just saying !!!

Bertram Henze
Aug-07-2018, 1:14pm
You know that there are 24 hours in a day, right?

Not counting the night...

catmandu2
Aug-08-2018, 7:35pm
Ive been an acoustic musician for some 40 years. But my first instruments were guitar and sax (my first real electric was a 68 tele, eventually replaced with this boutique tele). E gtr and tenor sax - two instruments that top anything else. Currently I spend all my time on bass clarinet playing with my kids - my daughter has claimed possession of my saxes, so I'm on clarinets :)

vetus scotia
Aug-15-2018, 10:00am
This is one of those threads that, when it first appeared, I thought, 'well, I'll never contribute to that.' (Haven't owned or even played an electric guitar in 20 years.) Ten days later and I just picked up a Tele from my local music store. It is only a rental. For now. It is 'Fender month' at the shop, and I can easily convert my rental into interest free financing....

lflngpicker
Aug-15-2018, 10:40am
Hi Caleb, I definitely get you, man. I vacillate between my love of blues electric guitar played through a tube amp, my singer songwriter acoustic stuff (my main gig all through life) and my now five year mandolin obsession with folk and blues. The age does play a role in all this though... LOL! Just go with it! Get the Marshall-- now me I love my Peavey Classic 30 with the gray tweed and SRV matched tube set, but just sayin'! Dan

CES
Aug-15-2018, 10:43am
As we get back into youth worship services this fall, I'll be dusting off my Tele and amp, I'm sure, especially as a couple of our guitar players have graduated and headed off to college. At some point I want to get a jazz box and a solid body with double humbuckers, but we just downsized, so not until I move some acoustic stuff along...

I'm an acoustic guy at heart, but it's always fun to play around with these things, and amplification is so much simpler with them (than picking out the right mic or pickup for the room, working out the EQ, and squelching feedback)...

jim simpson
Aug-15-2018, 12:49pm
My wife asked why I got a new electric guitar (Italia Maranello) when I only play out with mandolin. I still enjoy electric instruments even though I haven't gigged out with one in ages.

Daniel Nestlerode
Aug-15-2018, 3:27pm
Hybridize your urges. :)

I spent an hour playing along to guitar tracks on YouTube videos the other night.

Daniel

Mike Black
Aug-15-2018, 11:24pm
Hybridize your urges. :)

I spent an hour playing along to guitar tracks on YouTube videos the other night.

Daniel

I agree, Hybridize your obsessions! That's what I did. :)

I'm loving playing, and can't get enough of, my 4 string electric octave mandolins.

catmandu2
Aug-16-2018, 11:05pm
https://youtu.be/h6r25HyQSkE

Rush Burkhardt
Aug-17-2018, 7:09am
Try this on for size! The Eastwood Teleolin! :popcorn:

Caleb
Aug-18-2018, 10:04am
Hi Caleb, I definitely get you, man. I vacillate between my love of blues electric guitar played through a tube amp, my singer songwriter acoustic stuff (my main gig all through life) and my now five year mandolin obsession with folk and blues. The age does play a role in all this though... LOL! Just go with it! Get the Marshall-- now me I love my Peavey Classic 30 with the gray tweed and SRV matched tube set, but just sayin'! DanHello, Dan. Like you I go back and forth from singing songs on acoustic to mandolin and now to electric. I still haven't bought a good amp, but have been doing tons of research. The market seems to be flooded with cheaper amps that try to sound like tubes, and tube amps that are expensive and sound great. I still like the old Valvestate Marshalls but am starting to see other options. I've actually been having a great time playing unplugged while sitting around the house -- just getting my fingers used to the bluesy shapes again. Lots of fun. I'll keep you posted on the amp front.

I've been trying my hand at Strat setup too. I'm not very good at stuff like that but am trying to learn. But... I see a trip to my local tech in my future....
:))

Caleb
Aug-23-2018, 9:40am
Get the Marshall...
Ok, you talked me into it.

dhergert
Aug-23-2018, 2:01pm
It could be worse. You could have taken up golf :))

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

... Or banjo. Or bass. Or Dobro. Or fiddle. Or drums. Or accordion... Or...

Wait, you're playing ELECTRIC GUITAR???? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mandosmiley:

vetus scotia
Apr-25-2019, 6:41pm
This is one of those threads that, when it first appeared, I thought, 'well, I'll never contribute to that.' (Haven't owned or even played an electric guitar in 20 years.) Ten days later and I just picked up a Tele from my local music store. It is only a rental. For now. It is 'Fender month' at the shop, and I can easily convert my rental into interest free financing....

So a couple weeks ago I returned the MIM Tele (I had put it in the basement to make room for the Christmas tree, and it was not getting played much). I thought I was over my momentary electric phase. But then I go to the store for some mandolin strings, and see that it is Gibson month. No one told me that the body of an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO would be so redolent of a mandolin! (Though it is fairly obvious now that I think of it). And the tone through a tube amp? Well, it is so pure it feels practically acoustic!

belbein
Apr-25-2019, 7:34pm
I think the Moderators need to step in and stop this madness before it spreads !!!

Caleb
Apr-25-2019, 8:02pm
My fling with the Strat/Marshall set-up was fairly short-lived. I think it was a semi-midlife meltdown thing for me. I'm back to my books, acoustic guitar and mandolin: but my 18-year-old son loves the Strat, so I'm glad I got it.

indexless
Apr-25-2019, 8:43pm
it hit me when I was 55, I'd been deep in acoustics and never picked up and electric after I quit a band in Boulder in 1979,No it's 11 years later and Telecasters.....(insert Homer Simpson drool here)...then amps, so many flavors, each it's own little bundle of sonic fun, enjoy it and play like you mean it

Peter Barnett
Apr-25-2019, 9:57pm
Party on dude!

Daniel Nestlerode
Apr-26-2019, 7:09am
My fling with the Strat/Marshall set-up was fairly short-lived. I think it was a semi-midlife meltdown thing for me. I'm back to my books, acoustic guitar and mandolin: but my 18-year-old son loves the Strat, so I'm glad I got it.

See?
You shoulda grabbed a 4 or 5 string emando. You'd still be playing it. ;)

Daniel

lflngpicker
Apr-27-2019, 3:09pm
Ok, you talked me into it.

Did you hold on on to the Marshall, Caleb? Looks like it is in great shape! Let me know if you want to sell it one day! :) So your son loves that Strat! Good for him. :)

Caleb
Apr-27-2019, 7:33pm
Did you hold on on to the Marshall, Caleb? Looks like it is in great shape! Let me know if you want to sell it one day! :) So your son loves that Strat! Good for him. :)

Yes, I held on to the Marshall. It was exactly the model I was looking for and it's a keeper. I'm not a tube purist and was quite taken by the Valvestates back in the early 2000s when I was heavily into electric guitar. I never got one then because I had a wonderful little Vintage Club blonde amp by Crate (sold off when the acoustic thing got hold of me). My son loves to get the Marshall out and play through it. I think I paid a guy $200 for it via my local CL.

lflngpicker
Apr-29-2019, 12:57pm
Yes, I held on to the Marshall. It was exactly the model I was looking for and it's a keeper. I'm not a tube purist and was quite taken by the Valvestates back in the early 2000s when I was heavily into electric guitar. I never got one then because I had a wonderful little Vintage Club blonde amp by Crate (sold off when the acoustic thing got hold of me). My son loves to get the Marshall out and play through it. I think I paid a guy $200 for it via my local CL.

Caleb, I too had a Vintage Club blonde -- mine was the 20 watt version. So Valvestate-- I haven't played through one of those before but I am aware of the preamp tube/solid state combination nature of it. I will check one out sometime!

Caleb
Apr-29-2019, 10:14pm
Caleb, I too had a Vintage Club blonde -- mine was the 20 watt version. So Valvestate-- I haven't played through one of those before but I am aware of the preamp tube/solid state combination nature of it. I will check one out sometime!Wow, cool coincidence there with the Crate, Dan! I think mine was only 10 watts but it was insanely powerful and loud since it was all-tube. The downside is that it was one channel, but I used a compressor pedal and a tube screamer (and some reverb) with it, and I could easily just dial back the volume on my Strat to get cleaner tones. But when I dialed it back up I'd get the coolest bluesy tones. It was a lot of fun and it was part of a wonderful musical season of life for me that I sometimes miss. But that's mostly about the people I was playing with and not the gear. Another thread there!

Again, I'm not tube purist or any kind of amp purist, but I love the sound of the Valvestate. It reacts to touch and feel like a real tube amp, and long before all the technology got so crazy and realistic. If you can find one from the late 90s/early 2000s, do grab it up. You can get them for a song, and they were made in the old English Marshall factory; and, if taken care of, will probably last a good lifetime.

MikeZito
Apr-30-2019, 6:53am
For the past 9 months my mandolins seemed to have vanished behind this dizzying array of electric mayhem . . . but this past weekend I somehow managed to break though this fortress of amplification and find my beloved Kentucky KM272 quietly and patiently waiting for my return.

Michael H Geimer
Apr-30-2019, 9:08am
Strat has not been picked up since getting this EM200 from our Classifieds last week. Also putting in a good word for the fantastic Vox AC30 as tube amp of choice for this household.

Charlie Bernstein
Apr-30-2019, 9:15am
I played a buddy's electric bass at a jam Friday night, and guess what, yesterday found myself at the local music shop forking over for a bass and bass amp. Spent this morning playing along with Muddy Waters songs...
Yup. Willie Dixon was The Essence - the granddaddy of 'em all!

Caleb
Apr-30-2019, 7:26pm
For the past 9 months my mandolins seemed to have vanished behind this dizzying array of electric mayhem . . . but this past weekend I somehow managed to break though this fortress of amplification and find my beloved Kentucky KM272 quietly and patiently waiting for my return.

176371Love the Gretsch... and the RIC too!

MikeZito
May-01-2019, 6:40am
Hey Caleb:

Yes, the Gretsch is an amazing guitar - it is the only 12-string I have ever owned over the years (and I have owned at least 6 or 7) that has just the right tone to match my singing voice, and was only about 1/3 cost of my former beloved Rickenbacker 12-strings . . . and whenever i bring it to a gig, people love the black and gold look.

Even though the previous owner of my Ric 620 committed a terrible sacrilege but putting unknown humbuckers in it, the guitar still has a distinct tone - and cost me 1/3 of what a 620 would normally go for, because it had been so uncommonly modified.

Caleb
May-01-2019, 10:53am
Hey Caleb:

Yes, the Gretsch is an amazing guitar - it is the only 12-string I have ever owned over the years (and I have owned at least 6 or 7) that has just the right tone to match my singing voice, and was only about 1/3 cost of my former beloved Rickenbacker 12-strings . . . and whenever i bring it to a gig, people love the black and gold look.

Even though the previous owner of my Ric 620 committed a terrible sacrilege but putting unknown humbuckers in it, the guitar still has a distinct tone - and cost me 1/3 of what a 620 would normally go for, because it had been so uncommonly modified.You’ve got just about every tonal possibility covered with your collection! Very nice. Have you considered taking the Ric back to stock pups?

lflngpicker
May-01-2019, 1:37pm
Caleb, Good to know about the tonal spectrum and tube like tone from the Valvestate. Thanks for that! And love those guitars, Mike! Thanks for the lineup pic! :mandosmiley:

MikeZito
May-02-2019, 6:44am
Caleb: I already have a Ric 360 to give me the traditional 'Rickenbacker Tone', so I am leaving the humbuckers in the 620. The tone is something like the mating of a Ric with a Les Paul . . . jangle with some extra heft at the bottom end.

Dan: That pic is only part of the family - check out my profile for a few more pictures . . . that will still leave the collection photographically incomplete.

To get back on the subject of this thread: How does everyone else find their way back to the mandolin after electrics get in the way? With me, it was just a matter of feeling like their was something missing in my music (even though I had been busy with guitars, bass, keyboards, writing, recording) - and inexplicably suddenly realizing it was the lack of mandolin that was causing the musical hole.

catmandu2
May-05-2019, 12:32am
Good heavens, I'll wax poetic over spilled electric gear! I just remembered all the synths I've owned...my first was a DX7 - that I never learned to program - nor my second, a SC Prophet 600. I had a Rhodes then too... Ah life!

Where is the lament emoji?!! :crying:

lflngpicker
May-06-2019, 7:58am
He Guys, Loving this electric and amps discussion! Michael G-- the Vox AC30 along with the Fender Princeton tube version are both on my dream list. The AC30 can handle anything!

Greg P. Stone
May-06-2019, 9:08am
OK, I got back into the tube amp game with a Peavey Classic 20, an 18 watt using EL84s with the original 10" Eminence proto Ragin' Cajun. Also picked up the matching extension cab. After a few years my main tube amps became a pair of Ampex 2010 6V6 10 watt tube amps with 8" JBLs. I swear that these sound like my old Twin Reverb. I still use the Ampex's but ... the #1 amp for me until death do us part is now a 12 watt Tweed Deluxe 5e3 clone with a 12" Jensen which they tout as a reproduction of the original. To make it perfect I need to do the negative feedback mod.

Caleb
May-06-2019, 11:07am
To get back on the subject of this thread: How does everyone else find their way back to the mandolin after electrics get in the way? With me, it was just a matter of feeling like their was something missing in my music (even though I had been busy with guitars, bass, keyboards, writing, recording) - and inexplicably suddenly realizing it was the lack of mandolin that was causing the musical hole.For me it's all about simplicity. Electric guitar is cool and fun, but it's a serious hassle (especially when one doesn't have a music room) to drag all the stuff out and get it all set up. But I can go grab my acoustic guitar or mandolin and, after tuning, start playing. Plus (and not to get weird) there is something earthy and simple and fundamentally basic and human (to me) about acoustic instruments and what happens when we play them. No amps or cables or feedback or loops, just simple sound. I don't feel as if I've described it well at all, but that is what always ends up calling me back to acoustic instruments.

Charlie Bernstein
May-09-2019, 6:19am
For me it's all about simplicity. Electric guitar is cool and fun, but it's a serious hassle (especially when one doesn't have a music room) to drag all the stuff out and get it all set up. But I can go grab my acoustic guitar or mandolin and, after tuning, start playing. Plus (and not to get weird) there is something earthy and simple and fundamentally basic and human (to me) about acoustic instruments and what happens when we play them. No amps or cables or feedback or loops, just simple sound. I don't feel as if I've described it well at all, but that is what always ends up calling me back to acoustic instruments.
In the house, acoustic and electric are equally easy as long as you don't plug either in. For gigs, acoustic and electric guitars both mean a lot of peripherals for most people, although it's very true if you're just playing an acoustic someone else mic, it doesn't take any more than that.

Rehearsals are where I find the big difference is. At acoustic practices I just need an instrument, electric practices need a lot more lugging and set-up.

Caleb
Jul-08-2019, 11:41am
Well, the midlife meltdown continues... First, my mandolin got eaten by a a Stratocaster, and now the Strat has been eaten by a Les Paul. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it’s an Epiphone and not a “real” LP, but it does have Les’s autograph on it, so there. I’ve never owned a LP or any guitar with humbuckers till now.

I put the Strat on Craig’s List not long ago to see if I could get some trade offers. A fellow came along with this LP. He said it was only a few months old. I checked the SN and he was right (made Dec 2018). Through the Marshall it’s an absolute beast. I’ve been learning a bit of Rockabilly and early Rock and Roll lately and really wanted a Gretsch, but this trade was too good to pass up, and the LP absolutely nails early Rock sounds.

As far as quality goes, this guitar is _extremely_ well-made, came stock with Grovers and very decent pickups, and the finish is absolutely flawless. It’s really incredible what one can get for the money these days (the plain top Standard sells for 5 bills new). When I started playing guitar back in the early 90s, an “import” guitar of this quality did not exist (well, maybe Fender Japan, but they were pricey).

Anyway, I’m having a blast. An old friend just got a drum set and is learning to play (more midlife meltdown!) while I’m relearning how to play Rock and Roll, so I see some semi-regular jam sessions on the horizon with the only goal being fun.

Now I’m geeking out on fancy reverb pedals...

roysboy
Jul-08-2019, 12:04pm
Well, the midlife meltdown continues... First, my mandolin got eaten by a a Stratocaster, and now the Strat has been eaten by a Les Paul. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it’s an Epiphone and not a “real” LP, but it does have Les’s autograph on it, so there. I’ve never owned a LP or any guitar with humbuckers till now.

I put the Strat on Craig’s List not long ago to see if I could get some trade offers. A fellow came along with this LP. He said it was only a few months old. I checked the SN and he was right (made Dec 2018). Through the Marshall it’s an absolute beast. I’ve been learning a bit of Rockabilly and early Rock and Roll lately and really wanted a Gretsch, but this trade was too good to pass up, and the LP absolutely nails early Rock sounds.

As far as quality goes, this guitar is _extremely_ well-made, came stock with Grovers and very decent pickups, and the finish is absolutely flawless. It’s really incredible what one can get for the money these days (the plain top Standard sells for 5 bills new). When I started playing guitar back in the early 90s, an “import” guitar of this quality did not exist (well, maybe Fender Japan, but they were pricey).

Anyway, I’m having a blast. An old friend just got a drum set and is learning to play (more midlife meltdown!) while I’m relearning how to play Rock and Roll, so I see some semi-regular jam sessions on the horizon with the only goal being fun.

Now I’m geeking out on fancy reverb pedals...

The coolest thing about a 'mid-life meltdown 'is that the description of it is in the term.
its like an accepted insanity ....like when 12 year old boys' hormones put them off the rails for about 8 years or so . Electric guitars and associated gear is STUPID cheap in these times and decent quality , drums ,amps , pedals etc ....CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP . AND its the most forgiving instrument on the planet . Playing is sheer fun .

Acoustic instruments ..( mandos ,fiddles , acoustic guitars etc ).....EXACTLY the opposite ...expensive ,delicate, not forgiving in the least and demand a commitment to even come CLOSE to having fun and mastering them . I lived in both worlds ....the acoustic thing is a non-stop challenge .

Geek On ,my friend ...Geek On

Caleb
Aug-02-2020, 12:54pm
This should have been titled the "Midlife Meltdown" thread. I kept the Les Paul for a while and enjoyed it, but I honestly felt like a hack with a LP in my hands. I guess because I was an 80s kid, a LP conjures up images of really great players like Slash (et al) and I couldn't shake it. I will say it was an extremely comfortable guitar to play and I loved how fast and effortless the fingerboard/neck was.

Anyway, I sold it off and ended up with a Squier Tele that I found on my local CL for a crazy price. The guy had already changed out the pickups. I got it home and did some fretwork, changed the crummy tuners, and converted it to a one-pickup Esquire style (pic was taken just before the change). It's a screamer through the Marshall and it really nails the 1950s tones that I love.

This thread started when I was 44 and I just turned 46 a couple days ago. So far electric guitars have been the extend of my Midlife Meltdown -- no convertibles or girlfriends, so it's all good.
:))

MediumMando5722
Aug-03-2020, 9:58am
After spending the last year convincing myself electric guitar wasn’t my home base, I’m back to two Strats and a Les Paul Standard. The Strats are a ‘96 MIM Tex Mex, a partscaster built by an old friend, and the LP is a “replica” (Chinese counterfeit) relic’d by the same guy. The parts guitar will hold its own against my long-gone USA, and you’d never know the LP was a fake if I didn’t tell you.

My time is split between these and my F-5, and I’ve recently figured out how to love them all equally. We’re gonna try incorporating the electrics with my bluegrass group soon. I can do all the mando chopping on the guitars, and I’m way more comfortable playing lead on them.

Woyvel
Aug-03-2020, 10:25am
Hello everyone, my name is Woyvel...and I'm a mandolin player.

I was a guitar player, and suffered from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). As the pandemic grew near in March I decided to get a new guitar, and on a whim, bought a heap mandolin as my "quarantine hobby". I'm afraid it's become an obsession. {sigh}

I've since bought two more mandolins, one costing more (without a trade) than I've ever spent in 40 years on a guitar. I'm now looking for a 4th, electric mandolin. I haven't picked up a guitar in over a month now. I've spent more time with my mandolins than that new guitar I bought in March. Now I'm...[gulp]...looking to sell or trade in more guitars to buy the right electric mandolin. Thank you.

j. condino
Aug-03-2020, 1:26pm
Some of my recent guitar justified distractions: a squeeky clean 1966 fliptop and one of my new Les Paul style guitars currently on the workbench...

slimt
Aug-03-2020, 5:45pm
Got my Strats. :). And my Mandolins. And just bought a 00042 authentic Martin

Caleb
Aug-03-2020, 5:58pm
Got my Strats. :). And my Mandolins. And just bought a 00042 authentic Martin

187766Wow, very cool collection.

darylcrisp
Aug-04-2020, 3:45am
i stumbled into electric over this past winter. had never really had the itch for it, love acoustic instruments so much. but, i had a couple electrics for setups and i really enjoyed the whole time with them. traded a taylor acoustic for a USA PRS custom 24, and then had to have this 70's tele in vintage blonde with humbucker in the neck. researched amps extensively, was going to build a tube amp using a kit from stewmac, but i didn't want the weight or the issues. Fender had just introduced the Deluxe Reverb tonemaster and after i heard and played thru it, i picked one up. i'm all set, and done now. i do have a driving urge to build a partscaster with two humbuckers though. picked up this faded surf green squire tele when i caught it on sale for $119. needed some fretwork, outside of that its really quite nice, and fun. put some 11's on it and raised the action a little and made it slide dedicated . i just turned 60 so i don't know whats going on with all this electric infusion in my life, but its really cool and i haven't dropped a lot into it. feel like a total beginner, its so different than playing an acoustic guitar-the touch, the feel. its a neat side step.

Rob Roy
Aug-08-2020, 4:41pm
What! No one told you serious mando heads all play tele's? Edit: I see you ended up with a tele after all. A Marshall might be a little intense. To keep the peace, you might better go with a Princeton Reverb and a couple of pedals. Both my strat and tele love mine. Rock on!

Caleb
Aug-09-2020, 2:42pm
What! No one told you serious mando heads all play tele's? Edit: I see you ended up with a tele after all. A Marshall might be a little intense. To keep the peace, you might better go with a Princeton Reverb and a couple of pedals. Both my strat and tele love mine. Rock on!I like Fender amps but this Marshall is perfect for the sound I’m going for. I can get a 50s rock/blues tone with no pedals.

lowtone2
Aug-10-2020, 9:58am
I like Fender amps but this Marshall is perfect for the sound I’m going for. I can get a 50s rock/blues tone with no pedals.

In the 50s, rock/blues tones came from Fender amplifiers, and pedals didn't come around until the 60s. Just sayin...

Caleb
Aug-10-2020, 11:22am
In the 50s, rock/blues tones came from Fender amplifiers, and pedals didn't come around until the 60s. Just sayin...Very good point. I’m not sure why this combination works so well for the tone I like but it does. Serendipity.

Caleb
May-15-2021, 8:58am
The Midlife Meltdown continues...

So first it was a Stratocaster, then a Les Paul, then a Tele-turned-Esquire -- all of which failed to make a lasting connection for whatever reason. The other day I came across one of the newly-redesigned Epiphone Les Pauls. I've always been a sucker for goldtops but had never owned one. We'll see how long this one lasts!

Greg Connor
May-15-2021, 9:13am
Ahhhhhh ... the joys of instrument acquisition! I am an acoustic player like most people here, but lately I’ve been plugging in the electric guitars, as well as buying electrics, amps and pedals.

Why? Who knows! I’m 69 years old. I should be acting my age.

Caleb
May-15-2021, 9:15am
...pedals. Pedals! I'm trying hard not to venture down that rabbit hole, but I would really like one of those fancy reverb units that can do all the ambient and spacey tones. One of those looping devices looks like fun too, especially since I have no one to jam with.

Greg Connor
May-15-2021, 9:21am
Pedals! I'm trying hard not to venture down that rabbit hole, but I would really like one of those fancy reverb units that can do all the ambient and spacey tones. One of those looping devices looks like fun too, especially since I have no one to jam with.

Looper pedals are an absolute blast! Perfect for practicing lead breaks and really nice for playing out. Get one with a separate “off” button. It will save you some embarrassment when you are performing.

Chris Cochran
May-15-2021, 9:55am
There are some great LIGHT WEIGHT solid state amps now, with tone about as nice as tube amps. Try a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb.

lflngpicker
May-18-2021, 2:20pm

So first it was a Stratocaster, then a Les Paul, then a Tele-turned-Esquire -- all of which failed to make a lasting connection for whatever reason. The other day I came across one of the newly-redesigned Epiphone Les Pauls. I've always been a sucker for goldtops but had never owned one. We'll see how long this one lasts!

Caleb, I am with you, brother! I bought a new Epiphone Casino (hollow body with P90's) recently and I love it. Epiphone makes really good quality electric guitars. I have owned several and the Les Pauls are competitive quality wise, when you consider their counter part can be three times more money. They aren't three times better, IMHO.

Steve Lavelle
May-18-2021, 6:26pm
At the beginning of the pandemic I bought a cheap HH Squire ($160), figuring I might have a little fun. I have since repalced everything but the neck, and a new one is on order. Now all the big pieces of wood will be torrefied (Swamp ash for the body, maple/rosewood for the neck), the Fralin's can both split with push-pulls, and the switch gives me 6 positions (3 conventional choices and series in phase, series out of phase, and parallel out of phase). Bought nut files because cheap guitars all have the strings too high at the nut. I sold a Nashville Tele and a 335 about 10 years ago thinking I was done with that stuff. Could be worse, I had a sailboat when I was in my 20's, that was real money!

MediumMando5722
May-21-2021, 6:20pm
Have you had a PRS yet? If not, treat yourself to one with the next guitar.

Caleb
May-22-2021, 7:04am
Have you had a PRS yet? If not, treat yourself to one with the next guitar.

I've never owned a PRS but I do like them.

Another failed attempt at a love connection... I've already gotten rid of the goldtop Les Paul and have purchased another guitar online. I'll post some pics and info when it shows up.

CES
May-22-2021, 7:29am
I picked up a Blues Jr 15 watt amp a couple weeks ago and have been having a blast with it. I’m still debating my next guitar purchase. I like my Tele and can growl it up with an overdrive pedal, but I want a beefier option. I’m intrigued by the Jazzmaster with ‘62 pickups, but PRS is making some nice stuff now as well. Given the Weber story from today I should probably just find something in stock and roll with it...

lflngpicker
May-22-2021, 12:50pm
I picked up a Blues Jr 15 watt amp a couple weeks ago and have been having a blast with it. I’m still debating my next guitar purchase. I like my Tele and can growl it up with an overdrive pedal, but I want a beefier option. I’m intrigued by the Jazzmaster with ‘62 pickups, but PRS is making some nice stuff now as well. Given the Weber story from today I should probably just find something in stock and roll with it...
That is one of my two favorite high quality, portable tube amps for gigging. The Blues Jr and Peavey Classic 30 are my two favorites. I hope you continue to enjoy it! I was a bit shocked by the Weber story. Glad I have mine.

lowtone2
May-22-2021, 4:46pm
I've just turned 70, and it apparently does not get better.

gtani7
May-22-2021, 6:51pm
I started out with a little dinky Blackheart 5w tube head and Egnater 1x12, which cost $300 altogether and sounded great. Now up to 4 cabs, 3 heads, which cost more than $300. With 4x12, a couple 2x12's and 15 bass cab, need more room...

Caleb
May-23-2021, 8:38am
I've just turned 70, and it apparently does not get better.

Very cool guitar.

MediumMando5722
May-23-2021, 8:47am
Check out the little Orange micro heads sometime. I had a Dark Terror, which is a single 12AX7 preamp tube and 20 solid state watt power amp, volume, gain, and a contour control for tone, which sweeps through EQ curves from scooped mids/boosted bass & treble to the opposite. Paired with a 12” speaker in a home made open back cabinet, it was awesome. Skip the Orange 8” matching cab, it sucks.

With the aforementioned PRS guitar plugged straight in, just about any style is covered. Add an overdrive, and it was just insane. For blues jams, I velcroed a mini Tube Screamer to the cabinet, put a Wah in front, and it was a guitar in one hand, rig in the other setup that was great.

Caleb
May-25-2021, 7:42am
Midlife Meltdown continued...

I think at last I’ve found a love connection. It dawned on me a while back that I’ve been playing acoustic guitar so long that most electric guitars just feel awkward to me. Most times they feel toylike. So I decided to try a different approach: enter the Ibanez AF75. It feels a lot like an acoustic guitar but does way more. I love it.

Dan’s post about his Casino got me thinking in this direction. Thanks, Dan!

lflngpicker
May-26-2021, 10:00am
Midlife Meltdown continued...

I think at last I’ve found a love connection. It dawned on me a while back that I’ve been playing acoustic guitar so long that most electric guitars just feel awkward to me. Most times they feel toylike. So I decided to try a different approach: enter the Ibanez AF75. It feels a lot like an acoustic guitar but does way more. I love it.

Dan’s post about his Casino got me thinking in this direction. Thanks, Dan!

These Ibanez's are absolutely the real deal. I have owned a couple and loved them. (I get what you mean about the archtop and its similarities to acoustic guitars, and yet their ability to go bluesy, jazzy, country or rock out!) Problem is I flip instruments when I want another guitar, mandolin or amplifier. You enjoy this and congrats, Caleb!

CES
May-26-2021, 3:03pm
That is one of my two favorite high quality, portable tube amps for gigging. The Blues Jr and Peavey Classic 30 are my two favorites. I hope you continue to enjoy it! I was a bit shocked by the Weber story. Glad I have mine.

I really wanted a Deluxe Twin Reverb 22 watt ‘62 reissue, but I mainly play at home and in church, and just thought it would be too much based purely on online research. Though I rarely go there, I hit Guitar Center so I could try a couple out. The youngster who jumped me when I came inside was actually very helpful. Told him I was looking for a tube amp I could play at home and church, no stadiums or big clubs given my talent level and day job, and that I wanted the Deluxe but thought it might be too loud, so I was interested in a Jr unless he had other ideas. I almost laughed when he set the master volume at 2, until I hit the first chord, and, man that thing is loud! I’ve gone as high as 4 when home alone (for a song or two), but 3 rattles the windows, lol, and any more than that for long and I’d need ear protection. My Red Dirt OD pedal works nicely with it as well.

My problem is my broad musical interests. If I just loved metal or blues or funk or punk or country or whatever, it would be a little easier to build a rig, but I’m all over the map, so I’m just keeping it simple and accepting some compromises. But, a semi-hollow PRS may be in my future...

And, yes, I’m very glad I have my Weber OM...

urobouros
May-26-2021, 4:41pm
I went the other direction. I started with electrics & stumbled down the 8 string rabbit hole just in time for the pandemic. Like most of my hobbies (obsessions) it started small. The KM-150 was my gateway mandolin & now I have a couple mandolas, a bouzouki, an OM and a couple mandolins with another arriving on Sun :mandosmiley: And then there are the electrics...to be fair, there was more running than stumbling down the rabbit hole :whistling:

lflngpicker
May-27-2021, 6:38am
I really wanted a Deluxe Twin Reverb 22 watt ‘62 reissue, but I mainly play at home and in church, and just thought it would be too much based purely on online research. Though I rarely go there, I hit Guitar Center so I could try a couple out. The youngster who jumped me when I came inside was actually very helpful. Told him I was looking for a tube amp I could play at home and church, no stadiums or big clubs given my talent level and day job, and that I wanted the Deluxe but thought it might be too loud, so I was interested in a Jr unless he had other ideas. I almost laughed when he set the master volume at 2, until I hit the first chord, and, man that thing is loud! I’ve gone as high as 4 when home alone (for a song or two), but 3 rattles the windows, lol, and any more than that for long and I’d need ear protection. My Red Dirt OD pedal works nicely with it as well.

My problem is my broad musical interests. If I just loved metal or blues or funk or punk or country or whatever, it would be a little easier to build a rig, but I’m all over the map, so I’m just keeping it simple and accepting some compromises. But, a semi-hollow PRS may be in my future...

And, yes, I’m very glad I have my Weber OM...

Hi Chuck, It is hard to beat the Deluxe Twin amp with 22 potent watts! I have played one and it was amazing! I listed those I could barely move and afford. I guess I would say my realistic dream amp is a ‘65 Princeton, which can be had for around $800 used, I believe. I admire those PRS semi hollow guitars and that does give one flexibility in style and application. So glad about your Weber OM. Weber will be back, but it was hard to read that such a leader in domestic mandolin production was taking a year long hiatus.

CES
May-27-2021, 9:42am
Yeah, the Princeton’s are awesome! I almost got the Deluxe Reverb and one of the gadgets that cuts volume without killing the tone (totally blanking on the name, but demos online were impressive, but they were another 400-500 dollars. I’m very happy with the Jr so far, though.

The PRS I’ve been looking at gives enough sonic capabilities that I think it would keep me from getting three or 4 more guitars for specific purposes, lol

mandroid
May-27-2021, 12:01pm
cancel

Mandoplumb
May-29-2021, 6:15am
Gave up mandolin for an electric guitar ????
I’d see a doctor, something is wrong with you.

Caleb
May-29-2021, 9:19am
Gave up mandolin for an electric guitar ????
I’d see a doctor, something is wrong with you.

Did not give it up, just adding variety to life.

Billgrass
May-29-2021, 7:05pm
I stumbled into a opportunity buy on a Gretsch Chet Atkins. Put 11s on it and I just love the sound. Also my wife lets me play while we watch TV.

kookaburra
Jun-01-2021, 9:01am

That's a great looking goldtop Caleb! I also like what Epi did with the headstock on the new design.

slimt
Jun-12-2021, 7:19pm
My Mandolin got eaten by a Strat. Then the Strat got eaten by a Harp Guitar. :grin: