PDA

View Full Version : When is a newbie no longer a newbie?

Br1ck
Aug-02-2018, 2:25pm
When a year or two or three goes by?

When you start playing fiddle tunes from the intermediate section of a website?

When you find yourself giving mandolin advise?

When you've upgraded for the third time in two years?

When you can finally call that mandolin with the curlyque thingy by it's proper name?

When you can name half a dozen mandolin players?

When two or more girlfriends have dumped you?

When Cumberland becomes a thing rather than a place?

When you finally tried heavier strings, and they don't hurt too bad?

When your callouses from decades of guitar playing enlarge enough to cover the mandolin area on the fingertips?

When you decide you're good enough to sound crappy in public instead of just your living room?

When your pets no longer leave the room?

When you think you have an opinion good enough to reply to pretty much any thread?

When you've started six new threads in two days just because, you know, you're mandoliny special?

sblock
Aug-02-2018, 2:29pm
Once a newbie, always a newbie.

HonketyHank
Aug-02-2018, 2:42pm
I have to admit you touched quite a few nerves there, br1ck.

Br1ck
Aug-02-2018, 3:12pm
If you can't poke fun at yourself, who can you poke fun at?

MikeZito
Aug-02-2018, 7:38pm
I don't know about anyone else, but my Newbie Membership Card has no expiration date on it . . . .

soliver
Aug-02-2018, 8:13pm
Dunno, ...I'll tell you when I get there.

Eric Platt
Aug-03-2018, 5:44am
When you can no longer use it as an excuse during gigs? Though it seems that I'm playing more gigs recently as a guitarist, than mandolin player. Maybe that should be telling me something.

How about - when you no longer are pushing the strings out of tune on your OM while fretting? Still can't do that without thought. So, still a newbie.

Paul Busman
Aug-03-2018, 7:54am
Cute list. I'm guilty of more than one of those :(

I like the idea that we're always newbies in the sense that there's always something new to learn.

farmerjones
Aug-03-2018, 9:22am
Embrace what it is to be a newbie.

Just when I got the I, ii, IV, V , iv in a few keys, I changed instruments.

The Music ain't in the little wooden box.

roysboy
Aug-03-2018, 10:30am

When you can finally call that mandolin with the curlyque thingy by it's proper name?

When your callouses from decades of guitar playing enlarge enough to cover the mandolin area on the fingertips?

When you decide you're good enough to sound crappy in public instead of just your living room?

When you think you have an opinion good enough to reply to pretty much any thread?

When you've started six new threads in two days just because, you know, you're mandoliny special?

YES.....all that will convince you ( if not listeners ) that you're no longer a newbie .

Bertram Henze
Aug-03-2018, 10:56am

This one. You decide what you are.

OneChordTrick
Aug-03-2018, 12:21pm
Well I always thought Cumberland was a type of sausage :) but apart from the dog not running away when I start playing I don’t tick any off the boxes - don’t think I can count the girlfriends who left before I got a mandolin - so I’m firmly a newbie.

Br1ck
Aug-03-2018, 1:41pm
Last night I was asked to play a number on mandolin with a friend at open mic. Not only had I never played the song, I'd never comped behind anyone before, or improvised a solo. Thank God I've been practicing scales. But my chord vocabulary is abysmal. I need to work on that.

I do get that the stage is a great teacher. But it was horrifying, humbling, and a rush all at once.

Bertram Henze
Aug-03-2018, 2:00pm
don’t think I can count the girlfriends who left before I got a mandolin

I can, so my sample is not statistically significant. But I understand the reasons in every single instance by now and therefore need no statistics to know that music had no truck with it.

allenhopkins
Aug-03-2018, 2:05pm
When you get your second mandolin.

Extra bonus points if you also hold on to the first one -- you know, "to take camping," "to take to the office," "in case you need to get the other one repaired," etc. etc.

Charlie Bernstein
Aug-03-2018, 2:32pm

Yup!

ukenukem
Aug-03-2018, 3:28pm
When your significant other stays in the room when you play?

Denny Gies
Aug-03-2018, 4:33pm
I'd say you are no longer a newbie when you can hold your own in a good jam session.

soliver
Aug-03-2018, 4:48pm
When your significant other stays in the room when you play?

Wifey hates BG, so if that's what is required, I will eternally don the Hal's of newbie-dom

Jack Roberts
Aug-03-2018, 5:15pm
My dog still gets up and walks out the room when I play.

I'm still a newbie!

OldSausage
Aug-03-2018, 10:10pm
I think you stop being a newbie as soon as you realize how little you know.

Papalobo
Aug-04-2018, 4:48am
When you think in Mandolin , i.e. when you hear any piece of music and you conceptualize it in those terms where would my mandolin line be ... and execute naturally in any an all the nuances of the instrument ... A long journey for any of us on any instrument

Mando Mort
Aug-04-2018, 6:22am
I consider it a journey of learning and enjoying...perhaps a lifelong newbie that gets a little bit better over time.

LadysSolo
Aug-04-2018, 10:01am
I will no longer be a "newbie" when I think I am good, or at least able to play through a fairly easy new piece (sight-reading) without stumbling all over the place.

apple
Aug-04-2018, 2:44pm
Maybe somewhere around five years more or less. Then you're experienced and pretty good or maybe not so good lol.

mandroid
Aug-04-2018, 3:13pm
When you answer questions, rather than ask them? ;)

foldedpath
Aug-04-2018, 8:14pm
Newbie is a term that implies social interaction, because who the heck else is going to call you that? The term implies being judged against others.

So I think you lose the newbie status at the point where you can start playing music with others, at any level. Slow jam, group class, whatever. If you can make music with others, you're a musician and not a newbie.

P.S. I know this doesn't apply to bedroom shredders, YouTube uploaders, and others not interacting with other live musicians, but that's my personal criteria as an old codger who grew up around amateur musicians and not YouTube "influencers." Get off my lawn, etc.
:)

Al Trujillo
Aug-04-2018, 8:22pm
When the neighbors quit throwing rocks across the fence at you to stop [I'm almost there]

Gary Leonard
Aug-04-2018, 8:30pm
When your wife says "you are not a professional musician" as reason to stop you from adding another mandolin to your collection.

DavidKOS
Aug-05-2018, 9:43am
1. When you start playing fiddle tunes from the intermediate section of a website?

2. When you can finally call that mandolin with the curlyque thingy by it's proper name?

3. When you finally tried heavier strings, and they don't hurt too bad?
4. When you think you have an opinion good enough to reply to pretty much any thread?

1. Are any of the "fiddle tunes" from the classical violin repertoire?

2. That " curlyque thingy" thankfully does not exist on my bowlback and flatback European style instruments.

3. My bowlback and flatback mandolins only use extra light strings. Who needs tight thick strings on a mandolin, those strings are for guitars.

4. If you have a technical question that does not pertain only to Bluegrass or Oldtime music, I might respond correctly.

As for naming mandolininists, you get points if any are Italian.

Now to answe the question -

When are you no longer a newbie?

When you can actually PLAY the mandolin.:mandosmiley::))

Jess L.
Aug-05-2018, 11:23am
If there's ever any doubt as to how much progress you've made since first starting mandolin, try this simple one-minute test to instantly revert to newbie mode: :disbelief:

If you're right-handed (and not ambidextrous), hold the mandolin the other way around and try to play it left-handed (or vice versa, if you are left-handed). Two or three random notes are all that's required for this test - no need to try to play a scale or a tune.

So... is the tone worse than usual, and is everything suddenly awkward and hard to play? Do the fingers not want to cooperate in pressing the strings down? Is the pick all of sudden ridiculously slippery and keeps falling on the floor? Is there a new loss of coordination between picking hand and fretting hand, you know the thing you take for granted if you've been playing a while? Does it now suddenly seem nearly impossible to play even one note cleanly and clearly? :crying: Does the instrument itself keep slipping around and it won't stay in place and you can't figure out what angle to hold the instrument so you can reach everything? If the answer to any of those questions is now "yes" (whereas previously it was "no" when playing normally), then congratulations! You're not a newbie! :mandosmiley:

Note: Don't take that 'test' too often ;) or you'll get used to (good at) playing other-handed so the test won't work as well as it did the first few times you tried it. :whistling: :))

But sometimes it's good to have a reminder of just how far we *have* come, to keep from getting discouraged.

Occasionally listening to old recordings/videos serves a similar purpose. If you notice a bunch of 'new' flaws in something you recorded months/years ago, that's a sign of progress. That means your playing and/or your musical tastes/abilities have gotten better than previously. It's not a 'negative' thing (not nitpicking looking for flaws), rather more a positive thing (recognizing better ways to do stuff).

... I like the idea that we're always newbies in the sense that there's always something new to learn.

"Always something new to learn," yes most definitely, :mandosmiley: music wouldn't be worth messing with if that were not the case.

Who wants to spend all their time copying themselves, i.e. playing too-familiar material with no new twists, that would be too easy, no fun. :(

Although it hadn't occurred to me to associate the word "newbie" with the preference of always seeking out new stuff to learn... I guess there are different ways of interpreting/defining that word. :)

LadysSolo
Aug-05-2018, 7:30pm
"But sometimes it's good to have a reminder of just how far we *have* come, to keep from getting discouraged.
"Always something new to learn," yes most definitely, :mandosmiley: music wouldn't be worth messing with if that were not the case.

Who wants to spend all their time copying themselves, i.e. playing too-familiar material with no new twists, that would be too easy, no fun. :( "

I will say that after I have been frustrating myself working on something new, it is nice to go back and play something I find "easy" to make myself feel better, so HAVE made SOME progress, because some things are easy now. :disbelief:

jesserules
Aug-05-2018, 8:47pm
Because of all the sand which is there.

zedmando
Aug-08-2018, 1:43am
Hmm, in a way I still am one...
Don't know how much that really matters though
I'm having a blast

Bertram Henze
Aug-08-2018, 9:18am
The answer is blowing in the wind...

JeffD
Aug-08-2018, 9:52am
When someone asks you to slow down.

Steve Ostrander
Aug-08-2018, 10:20am
As a newbie, you're on probation for a year. If you acquire more than one mandolin, you get time off for MAS treatment. If you sell your mandolin, you go to the wall of shame. Don't disappoint us.

Br1ck
Aug-08-2018, 11:15am
Ok, here's the lowdown.

Two years, four months in, I've owned four mandolins and still have three. Started on an Eastman 505 to test the waters. Bought my Silverangel four months later. Sold the Eastman. Bought my Michael Kelly on the 199.00 blowout, mainly to practice setup. Liked the MK for it's bright tone, but wanted a better F style so bought an Arches kit which I just completed. Compliments the SA very well.

Started playing fiddle tunes, careful to use a metronome and concentrating on playing cleanly with good tone, including even up and down strokes. A year or so ago started playing major scales in every key, all first position except for the D flat. Playing the basic scale exercises too. As cleanly as possible, again using a metronome.

I can now learn fiddle tunes in a couple of days. Play two to three hours daily.

Oh, and Ican play a G chop chord cleanly most of the time!

The next step is trying to find people to play with and expanding my chord vocabulary, and going back and learning to comp to the fiddle tunes I know. I can play solo and have six or eight songs I can sing and play, and have no problem taking the mandolin to open mics. But I think the next step is playing with others like I can with guitar. That and improvising, which is where I can see all the scale practice paying off.

I can lay down tracks to play to. Have a decent studio.

So at this point goals are: chord vocabulary, expand up the neck, especially double stops, and learning to improvise. I do try to vary the fiddle tunes while playing them. Varying degrees of sucess there.

And yes, mandolin has made my guitar flat picking cleaner. But now I'm needing to learn all the fiddle tunes on guitar too. So these days I'm not thinking newbie much anymore. I think once I'm fluent in two or three keys and can wing a solo or two, I'll be over the hump.

MikeZito
Aug-08-2018, 12:47pm
It sounds to me like you have at least graduated to the 'Intermediate' stage . . .

It was nice having you as a Newbie - please turn in your membership card as you exit.

Have a nice day.