PDA

View Full Version : Kenny & Amanda Smith Band at Station Inn tonight

JDARTGOD
Mar-11-2004, 4:05pm
Alright all you guys/gals within travelling distance to the Station Inn. Let's hear some Reviews from this show tonight. One of the TOPS in my book.

Charlie D, I know you wouldn't miss a chance to see your buddy Steve!!!

Russ Jordan
Mar-11-2004, 4:23pm
Who plays mandolin with Kenny & Amanda Smith now? Somone posted on comando that they had a new mandolin player at Wintergrass.

Big Joe
Mar-11-2004, 4:40pm
We were going to have them do an instore concert, but just ran out of time to set it up. They are great guys and players. Hope you guys have a good time there.

JDARTGOD
Mar-12-2004, 9:20am
Ron Inscore has been their Mandolin player since Kenny left LRB and "formed" the Kenny & Amanda Smith Band. #I'd sure hate to see Ron leave. #Very underestimated picker. #Kenny, Ron, and Steve were an Instrumental & rhythm wrecking crew. #I'd stack those 3 against ANYBODY.

Pick up "Slowly But Surely" and "House Down the Block"......you won't be sorry.

Not sure how often they update their site, but he's still listed there as their mando player. Maybe he was just sick or something at Wintergrass??

AlanN
Mar-12-2004, 9:37am
I heard he left, to be replaced by a young-un.

mandomood
Mar-12-2004, 10:19am
that's a shame...Ronald is one hell of a picker...

hope to hear of his next project though if he has left...

Scotti Adams
Mar-15-2004, 7:48pm
..Jason Robertson is the new mando player with K&AMS..a 19 year old picker from Virginia..

JDARTGOD
Mar-17-2004, 12:17pm
Thanks Scotti. #(Any history on him??) #Sure he's only 19, but look what Alison Krauss did #from age 16 - 20!!! #(@ 1986 - 1990)

I found a few things:

2003 Old time Fiddler's Convention Mandolin Contest (4th place)

Jason Robertson (Galax Contest) (http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/2003win.htm)

Seems that Blueridge's new young gun banjo (Joex Cox) played with him in a regional group called Canyon River. I bet this kid SMOKES IT!!

Is it just me or does it seem like all the new "kids" getting hired in Bluegrass these days is evidence that Bluegrass is in very good hands for another generation or two???

Scotti Adams
Mar-17-2004, 12:59pm
yes I would say its in good hands..the only concern I have is that some of the young guns dont know who the pioneers are....their Bluegrass history starts with LRB, IIIrd Tyme Out , etc. Sure they can play all the hot licks but can they play a mandolin...ya know what I mean?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Mando4Life
Mar-17-2004, 1:20pm
That's a very interesting point Scotti. #It would be nice to get a topic started about that, but on this board who knows what it would evolve into. #I've talked about that with friends a few times and while I'm all for kids getting into BG/mando I agree that they do not always know the roots and miss out on some really essential things...

to stay with the topic....what I've heard of Kenny and Amanda Smith sounds good....real good....

AlanN
Mar-17-2004, 1:29pm
I'm sure Kenny and Amanda picked the right guy. I had heard that they were considering another young man (18, he won Galax and Merlefest), but I guess they chose otherwise. The young-un I was thinking of is very good, plays very deftly with a modern touch. He favors that modern chop chord shape, you know, the one that Butch hates http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Scotti Adams
Mar-17-2004, 5:38pm
That's a very interesting point Scotti. #It would be nice to get a topic started about that, but on this board who knows what it would evolve into. #I've talked about that with friends a few times and while I'm all for kids getting into BG/mando I agree that they do not always know the roots and miss out on some really essential things...

to stay with the topic....what I've heard of Kenny and Amanda Smith sounds good....real good....
..yea..it would be a great topic...you start it and I'll be there http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandopete
Mar-19-2004, 10:49am
Oh boy, here we go again...........

FWIW - I saw Kenny and Amanda at Wintergrass along with their new mandolin picker (referred to a "Jay-Bob") and he was great!