PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this mandolin. Bought at yard sale.

Terry Rhodes
Jul-22-2018, 12:09am

Bill Cameron
Jul-22-2018, 5:25am
No label inside? This is an average quality turn of the century commercially made bowlback. Pretty sure it’s a Regal, since I found a near-identical one with a two-click search: http://chrisvallillo.com/extras/orphan-instruments/sold/late-20s-early-30s-regal-bowlback-mandolin/
Not very ornate, by the standards of the day, and the higher-end ones had many more staves (pieces) making up the back than this example. How’s the neck? Straight? What I like about this, believe it or not, is the damage around the soundhole. That suggests it was played, a lot, so someone enjoyed the sound and feel; it didnt spend it’s life hanging on a wall or in a case. And there are no readily apparent cracks in the body, which are common in these old bowls. It looks like the strings are loosened; if it is as solid as it looks in the pictures, try putting -light gauge- strings on it and tuning it up. If it's tuneable and playable (to fifth or seventh fret, we don’t expect miracles), it might be worth perhaps $150 or so in present condition.

Terry Rhodes
Jul-22-2018, 9:21am
Thanks so much for the information. No, there wasn't a sticker inside. The neck is straight and the strings are actually pretty tight. There are no cracks and with the exception of the wear by the hole, there are just a few minor scuffs. It came in a cardboard box that was shaped to fit it. I do appreciate the information. Terry

MikeEdgerton
Jul-22-2018, 10:05am
I don't see the Regal connection. Everyone (but Gibson) made bowlbacks at some point. To be honest the pickguard on both examples is confusing me a bit. The trim other than that could have come from any of several builders of that era. I don't find an example in Carlin's book with that pickguard.

allenhopkins
Jul-22-2018, 11:31am
Well, the headstock shape is definitely Regal-ish, with the "scooped" top profile. And quite a few of the "University" and "20th Century" models had alternating ribs -- maple/rosewood, birch/rosewood -- with "inlaid strips" between them.

Agree that I don't see either that particular pickguard shape, or the headstock inlay, in any of Carlin's catalog illustrations. Tailpiece is pretty generic.

Perhaps an instrument Regal built for a specific store or distributor, "tweaked" enough so it wasn't their standard catalog fare?

nmiller
Jul-22-2018, 11:46am
It does not appear to be a Chicago-built instrument. That headstock shape was used by a number of builders, and there is nothing that points toward this being a Regal (or Kay, or L&H, or Harmony) instrument.

rcc56
Jul-22-2018, 5:01pm
Doesn't remind me of Chicago craftsmanship either. Nor any other large American shop. I think small shop or individual maker, maybe US, maybe Western Europe.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-22-2018, 7:57pm
I keep thinking European as well but the tuners and tailpiece do look domestic. L&H made alternating stave mandolins as well and lots of people used the headstock shape as has been noted. It does seem to be a rather thin long shape. I don't know. At least nobody has attributed it to the Larson's yet. :cool:

allenhopkins
Jul-22-2018, 8:24pm
... At least nobody has attributed it to the Larson's yet.

Hey, I'll attribute it to Greg Larson, lineman for the NY Giants in the 1960's.

Just to keep the discussion going...

AndyV
Jul-22-2018, 9:53pm
Same tailpiece as on my Suzuki built Flamenco. The pickguard is very familiar - German?

DavidKOS
Jul-22-2018, 10:12pm
Same tailpiece as on my Suzuki built Flamenco. The pickguard is very familiar - German?

There are a few odd details that look like some odd European cheapo mandolins from my youth.

Like my first one. Similar weird pickguard inlay, perhaps German, when there were 2 of them :grin:

brunello97
Jul-23-2018, 7:08am
.... At least nobody has attributed it to the Larson's yet. :cool:

I suppose it's possible that it is a Larson....... :confused:

The rosewood and soundhole detailing, as well as the headstock suggests American--if not Chicago-- to me. But for the scratchplate style, I don't think there is much that suggests this is a EuroBowl.....

Only partly in jest: Maybe we ought to start asking folks to weigh these instruments to help with IDs....
The Chicago and MidAtlanticRim bowlbacks I have are heavier than my Italian or German bowls, by a considerable margin. Put it on the kitchen scale.....

Mick

AndyV
Jul-23-2018, 11:14am

A Larson.

tonydxn
Jul-23-2018, 3:32pm
To me it does have a very German look, especially the pickguard. But the tailpiece is American (I think) and I've never seen a German mandolin with a decal like that on the head. I suspect it was made in America by a German immigrant.

AndyV
Jul-23-2018, 5:53pm
Tailpiece could be replacement...

MikeEdgerton
Jul-23-2018, 5:59pm
Tailpiece could be replacement...

On two different mandolins?

AndyV
Jul-23-2018, 9:06pm
On two different mandolins?

Two mandolins? What have I missed?

Jim Garber
Jul-23-2018, 9:43pm
You guys have it covered. I also checked Carlin's book and I also don't see Wulschner/Regal using that pickguard shape. That headstock is common with Lyon & Healy/American Conservatory as well as mandolins they made for the trade.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-24-2018, 7:07am
Two mandolins? What have I missed?

Post 2 has a link to anther mandolin just like it.

AndyV
Jul-24-2018, 10:19am
Post 2 has a link to anther mandolin just like it.

So it does, the one found with a two click search. When I open those pics, none show the tailpiece.

Now because of you Mike, I have to ask something unrelated that I had told myself to just leave alone when I saw this two days ago.
I see this on TV and in movies all the time. Two clicks and all the most detailed, bang on the money information pops up.
How can I do this? Please.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-24-2018, 10:56am
I'm not sure what you're asking but the tailpiece is in this picture in that link.

AndyV
Jul-24-2018, 11:18am
Ah, yes. I didn't see it in the corner of the picture of the case.