PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Straps

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-19-2018, 7:02am
Bought a couple of these straps. They are well made and for the price a real bargain. They ship quickly and package well. Small shop in Pennsylvania. Made in US. Here's a link to their mandolin strap page.

http://www.legacystraps.com/mando.htm

NFI :grin:

MikeEdgerton
Jul-19-2018, 12:33pm
From their website (with their typos):

Each strap features a high-tech synthetic leather end tab to affix over the strap button on your instrument and a strong woven nylon lace to attach to the headstock. The 3/4" straps are available in 13 solid colors and the 1" Strap in 21 Solid colors. Both straps are avaialable in many different graphic design patterns with designs being constanly updated as we find cool new designs. The webs are either jacquard woven in nylon, polypropylene or other textile blends or sublimation printed on polyester webbing. Sublimation printing is a process that actually embeds that design into the webbing on a molecular level. This process creates long lasting, durable straps in bright colors and patterns.

Make sure you don't leave any part of that strap that might contain any vinyl next to the lacquer finish of your instrument. There's a whole lot of mystery in the descriptions. Vinyl eats lacquer. This (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenMaint/Vinyl/vinyl.html) article on Frank Ford's www.frets.com should be required reading.

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-19-2018, 1:18pm
Interesting to say the least. I've been using mostly all fabric straps for the past three years. Never had anything like that occur. Yet. Souldier straps mostly. Never liked leather straps and found them more costly. Then again, I'd never read that article. I'll certainly be more cautious now.

B381
Jul-19-2018, 3:07pm
And suddenly an ad appears in the classifieds...lol...:disbelief:

yankees1
Jul-20-2018, 9:02am
Only Bill Bailey straps for me ! :)

mandolinstew
Jul-20-2018, 8:49pm

Found this strap at Etsy,it’s now my favorite,the woman who made it is located in Kentucky if I remember

DHopkins
Jul-21-2018, 6:00pm
I use no fabric straps, only leather. Furthermore, I use only Long Hollow or Lakota. Both are quality products and are competitively priced

Dave Greenspoon
Jul-21-2018, 9:40pm
I don't know about costly regarding leather straps. I suppose there are some expensive ones out there. All three of my acoustic instruments wear Long Hollow Softy straps at around $20 each.

MissingString
Jul-21-2018, 9:46pm

+1 (or more like plus 3) for Bill Bailey straps. I have a few ... the product as well as the producer are top notch!

yankees1
Jul-22-2018, 5:32am
+1 (or more like plus 3) for Bill Bailey straps. I have a few ... the product as well as the producer are top notch! Just received a Bailey strap yesterday for my soon to be delivered Girouard oval A and expecting another Bailey strap for a soon to be delivered Wienman F5 ! Both straps in sunburst. My older Bailey straps keep getting softer as the years go by. Great straps !

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-22-2018, 7:01am
From yankees1 - ".....for a soon to be delivered Wienman F5". So it's on it's way ??. After the thread re. the Wienman mandolins going back several months,please keep us up-dated - it should be a cracker !,
Ivan ;)

yankees1
Jul-22-2018, 5:40pm
From yankees1 - ".....for a soon to be delivered Wienman F5". So it's on it's way ??. After the thread re. the Wienman mandolins going back several months,please keep us up-dated - it should be a cracker !,
Ivan ;) I will post photos as soon as it arrives in about two weeks ! :)

Mandoplumb
Jul-26-2018, 10:51am
Yes leather straps cost more at the time of purchase. But I got a leather strap as part of the deal when I bought my Martin guitar and I'm still using it and it is as good as ever if anything better since it has broken in. Oh yes I bought my Martin in 1974, how many cloth straps would I have bought since then

Phil Goodson
Jul-26-2018, 10:58am
But, for the folks who are vegan or such, is there a non-animal tissue strap that is known to be vinyl free and is of high quality? Just wondering what our community's experience is.

yankees1
Jul-26-2018, 11:26am
My Bill Bailey leather straps are much softer now than when new . Great straps and a great man to deal with !