PDA

View Full Version : What's a good log?

fatt-dad
Mar-11-2004, 3:46pm
Dear NG,

One of these days. . . . . I ruminate about building an instrument, but right now is not the time. That said, if I know what I'm looking for, I may be able to start a wood collection. So, here is the question. If I find a tree of the correct species (i.e., spruce, maple, etc.), how do I then tell if a slice from it would make a good instrument? I guess if someone else found the log, took the slice, properly dried it, and marketed it as such, the experience may be able to tell, but how do you tell when the tree is standing or the log is in the truck?

Can you tell by my question, that I am just beginning to look into this?

Thanks in advance.

f-d

Tom C
Mar-11-2004, 3:59pm
Here a link about harvesting... (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=12463;hl=stump)

Chris Baird
Mar-11-2004, 4:33pm
As far as maple goes you are usually just looking for a tree with figure which you can see from the outside. With spruce you will need to be able to see inside the tree. Ring counts can be acceptable anywhere from 10-30 per inch with a good run of evenness. Avoid trees with lots of small branches and watch out for fungus and bacterial contamination. I wouldn't stock up on a whole lot of wood until you know specifically what works for you. I've milled a good deal of wood for myself but now having a better idea of what I prefer I don't think most of what I've milled is up to par.

Michael Lewis
Mar-12-2004, 2:27am
You know, after having harvested some wood I feel my time is better spent working in my shop and let people like Spruce do his job. If you are going to harvest wood you will need to get educated as to how to cut the wood, where and how to store it, and the use of the necessary tools. Nearly every step of the way there will be opportunities to ruin the wood. Don't get me wrong, I think harvesting wood is a noble persuit and an interesting process, but it's a lot of work and takes up time and space I don't want to give up.