PDA

View Full Version : Name That Tune!

David_D
Jul-16-2018, 1:42pm
Hi all,

I need help identifying three songs. I'm archiving some old (ca. 1994) recording studio session tapes that weren't labelled properly. Thankfully, I was able to determine most of the songs by their lyrics, but these instrumentals have me stumped. Any ideas?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Skip Kelley
Jul-16-2018, 1:50pm
The mp3’s won’t open for me.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-16-2018, 2:06pm
The first one is Red Wing

MikeEdgerton
Jul-16-2018, 2:09pm
The other two are well known fiddle tunes that the names just escape me right now. They will be identified.

David_D
Jul-16-2018, 5:05pm
The mp3s wont open for me.

Ugh! Thank you for letting me know. Maybe I used some uncommon encryption parameters.

Here's three new MP3s if you care to try again.

- - - Updated - - -

The first one is Red Wing

Brilliant. Thank you!

Bogle
Jul-16-2018, 7:25pm
The second one is "Doug's Tune" (Dillards), and the third one is "Out of Tune".

Otherwise, it sounds like "Mississippi Sawyer".

David_D
Jul-17-2018, 3:49pm
The second one is "Doug's Tune" (Dillards), and the third one is "Out of Tune".

Awesome.

Thank you so much!!!

farmerjones
Jul-18-2018, 11:30am
The A part of the 3rd tune sounds like Little Liza Jane, and the B part sounds like Mississippi Sawyer.
What do I consider the A vs. B part? Listen to another version of the aforementioned, respectively.

Philphool
Jul-21-2018, 7:44am
The A part of the 3rd tune sounds like Little Liza Jane, and the B part sounds like Mississippi Sawyer.
What do I consider the A vs. B part? Listen to another version of the aforementioned, respectively.

Maybe with a touch of Swallowtail Jig??

AndyV
Jul-21-2018, 2:22pm
Okay, yeah I thought Liittle Liza Jane, then it went elsewhere.

Thanks.

This reminds me of one of my favourite CBC radio programs, The Humline, '92-'02 (a segment of Basic Black).

"Basic Black listeners were invited to leave a message on the Basic Black Humline, singing or humming any half-remembered tune that they couldn't quite figure out the name of. An assembled Humline panel (Arthur Black, Danny Marks, and Shelagh Rogers, later replaced by Dinah Christie) would then try to trace the songs—many of them quite obscure—that the listeners vaguely remembered from the past."

I was regularly amazed at how, with often just a few notes, the panel could recognize and name the tune (and knew the lyrics when applicable).