PDA

View Full Version : Gibson at Grey Fox

Old Red
Jul-18-2005, 8:26pm
I stopped by the Gibson booth at Grey Fox on Saturday and had a fine time test driving a brand new Fern and Distressed Master Model. #The rep manning the booth (Todd?) very graciously asked me if I'd like to play them. #I was very impressed with both, in every respect. #I played the Fern first, and the tone and volume really jumped out. #It was one very responsive mando and it was very well set up and easy to play. #It had an even response across all registers, but the trebles really came through. #The fit and finish were also very high. #The Distressed Master Model was even more impressive. #It was brand new, signed and dated by Danny Roberts on June 27. #I've played about a dozen Loars and I believe that this mandolin really does manage to capture a lot of the sound and the look of the vintage F5s from Lloyd Loar's heyday. # I was very pleased with it and it was difficult to give it back. #Todd then played a few licks (he was terrific) and it sounded great from the front too. #This was my first chance to get my hands on these mandolins, and I must say, all the good things I've heard about them are true. #Extremely nice work from the people at Gibson.

Andy

jim_n_virginia
Jul-19-2005, 11:02am
I have been working my way up the mandolin food chain for about 6 or 7 years now. My goal is to one day own a Fern or Distressed model. But what I'd really love is a Master model!

At this point in my life I don't think I'll be getting one soon do to the finances. I have thought about selling everything I own and buying a Master Model or Distressed model but when I am walking down the road with no truck I might have some regrets!

Oh well one day I hope..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Old Red
Jul-19-2005, 8:25pm
I hear you. #While I was playing the DMM, I told my kids that they really didn't want to go to college, right? #Well, maybe after that's all paid off, etc. etc. #For now I can enjoy what I have. A good part of what you sound like is in your head and your hands anyway.

Andy

Evets
Jul-21-2005, 9:21pm
I was at GF also, and thought the Sam Bush model was the best of them all. I really like the wider neck. $25,000 for the distressed model is distressing, indeed!