PDA

View Full Version : Alvarez mandolin

Southside
Jul-10-2018, 5:06pm
Yesterday I bought an Alvarez mandolin at a local pawn shop. It's an F style with gold hardware, block inlay on the fingerboard, and the headstock says "The Alvarez." Inside the body it say "Alvarez Hand Made" and has the number 54354, which I assume is the serial number. It has the original rectangular case which is lined in yellow...even has the original cleaning cloth inside.

Is there anyway to determine when it was made by the number inside? What would be an approximate value? It's in very good condition. It is very loud and sounds and plays great up and down the neck.

Thanks in advance for any info

colorado_al
Jul-10-2018, 5:24pm
Congratulations on your new mandolin! And welcome to the Cafe!
Pictures of the instrument would help.

Best guess without pictures is Alvarez A700. Probably late 1970s to early 1980s. Likely laminate top, back & sides.
Like this?
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?8413-ALVAREZ-MANDOLIN
or this?
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?60636-Mandolin-on-The-Way

Southside
Jul-10-2018, 6:49pm
Thank you. I'm pretty sure the top is solid on this one by the grain showing thru the wood around the f holes. Anyway, it sounds great. Great lows and mids...big chop. Any idea on what it might be worth?

Jon Hall
Jul-10-2018, 7:42pm
I bought and sold a similar mandolin (early 1970s) in 2016 - 17. It's value at that time was $450 - $650 depending on condition. Mine was in near perfect condition and purchased/sold at the top of the range.

Willie Poole
Jul-10-2018, 9:23pm
Just saw a used 800 model listed on the Internet for $459 plus shipping, with a shaped case...You can usually find out what the going rates are for mandolins by Googling them on the Internet, `tain`t hard to do...

Willie

Timbofood
Jul-11-2018, 4:34am
Mine is an A-700, solid topped, laminate back and sides, scroll block the size of Brazil!
Sounds great, no issues in its entire life. Bought it sight unseen in 1975, no regrets at all.
Probably $500 would be fair.

hellindc
Jul-17-2018, 4:26pm
I'm interested in the answer to Southside's question. I have an A900, carved, fancy in-lay. I've wanted to know when it was made, and I have the serial number. I think it may have been made in 1978, from some research I did year's ago, but I can't find the website that I used, and I'm still not sure about the date. I've no interest in selling it -- just want to track down it's history.

Southside
Jul-18-2018, 10:10am
hellindc

Does your mandolin have "The Alvarez" on the headstock? Block inlay? What is the serial number of yours? How does yours sound? I believe mine is a 1979 A700...but I'm not really sure. I bought mine at a pawn shop recently. The strings were rusted and the mandolin was rather dirty. I took it home and cleaned the body,fretboard and put new strings on it. It sounded really good but after playing it more and more it seems to just get better.

Southside