PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly mandolin

elliott93
Jul-18-2005, 6:01pm
Does anyone have any info on the Michael Kelly A style mandolin? MF has one for $249 but I can't find any reviews on it.
I am looking to upgrade a little.
I am also looking at the Epiphone A style MF has as well.
Whats the difference between and A style and F style?
Thanks for the help.

Stillpicking
Jul-18-2005, 8:25pm
There has been a ton of stuff on the MKs mostly "F" style on the board here I would guess that some of that info involves the MK"A". You will probably get all kinds of advice on why you should not buy an imported mando either "A" or "F" style.

Having said that I own 4 mandolins:

2 MKs both "F" style one is an oval hole

1 very old Irish 12 string

1 resonator from England

My very first mandolin many years ago was a Gibson 1918 "A"
wish I still had it but I also like all of my current mandolins

To answer your question regarding the difference between an "A" style and "F" well first "F" are usually more expensive than "A" in general comparsion as there is more work involved in building an "F" because of the scroll on the "F". F-5 type mandos are usually used with preforming Bluegrass although an F-4 which has a scroll but has an oval sound hole can be used for Bluegrass and Oldtime music.

"A" mandolins can also be either with an oval sound hole or the traditional F holes agin the sound produced with the F-5 which has F holes tends to be used for Bluegrass.

There are many mandolin makers that have develop their own take offs from the above 2 plus there is also resonators, mandolin banjos, bowl backs and others.

Don't be afraid to buy an import, some will say save your bucks and buy this or that I say that if you like the mandolin and it is priced well you got nothing to lose just don't buy a real cheapo laminated mando. There are many of those under $100 deals and the quality on those imports are usually pretty bad & not worth any kind of setup money or effort.

If you can get to a shop to try the ones you are thinking about by all means do so or buy from a good on line shop like Elderly ask about the return policy if you really just don't like it, not if it is defective, in other words do they have a no questions asked return policy.

Well thats about all I got I am sure someone else will add to this and probably tell me that I have missed something or I am dead wrong on my advice but that is what is so cool about Mandolin Cafe!

Good luck

Guitar Jeremy
Jul-18-2005, 8:28pm
Read this thread and be as clear as you can about what really matters to you in an instrument:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=26230 (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=26230)

357mag
Jul-18-2005, 9:40pm
I have a Michael Kelly F style. Im satisfied with it. Im not thrilled with it cuz its not a Gibson Fern. But I have come to the realization thats all I can afford. I have tried in the last few months to come up with enough money to upgrade, but my pockets are just not deep enough. So to satisfy my MAS, I will buy another Michael Kelly.
They are as good as anything out there in the price range.
Just try to get a good one and dont be afraid to spend another 40-60 bucks on a set up. That can make all the difference in the world.

Keith Erickson
Jul-18-2005, 10:28pm
Does anyone have any info on the Michael Kelly A style mandolin?
Elliot,

I have the Michael Kelly A Plus and absolutely love it.

This is just my opinion.

Best of luck on your purchase. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

steve in tampa
Jul-19-2005, 4:25am
I would choose the MK over an Epiphone. Check the classifieds here for other things that might be in your price range.