PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Jam in Nashville

bgjunkie
Jul-18-2005, 1:27pm
Anyone know of any jam sessions in Nashville (or willing to start one) that a new player could join in on?

I have played guitar for years, but have taken up mandolin in the past year and it has quickly consumed me as my main instrument of choice. I have been learning fiddle tunes (Whiskey for Breakfast, Clinch Mountain Backstep, Cripple Creek, and others), but need to start getting together with other pickers to continue my learning and get better aquainted with the bluegrass community.

bgjunkie
Jul-20-2005, 8:25am
Quite a few people have viewed this topic, but no response. #When it came to playing guitar, in Nashville, I was used to being shut out by the "professionals" who didn't have time to mess with a "non-professional", but I expected that the bluegrass community might be a little more open to those of us who are genuinely interested in becoming better musicians. #

Is it just that everyone is too busy to jam at all?

earthsave
Jul-20-2005, 12:17pm
The Station Inn has a Sunday Jam, I believe.

picksnbits
Jul-20-2005, 12:40pm
...and Gibson Bluegrass Showcase on Mondays, but I've never been to either of them.

There's a festival somewhere in Middle Tn almost every weekend. They usually include jammin. Would be a good place to meet other pickers.

acousticphd
Jul-25-2005, 8:53pm
Hey Steve,

I had the same difficulties when I moved to Nashville. There are a couple - and really only a couple - publicized open jams in town. These tend to be frequented by large crowds and some very good players, and (from my perspective) are more like small-scale performances. Fun to go to once or twice, but not a good place to learn or work on your playing informally. A lot of the "bluegrass community", I think, meet up at festivals and events, so try to get around to the festivals and contests. You see a lot of the same faces.

I have a couple suggestions. You mention liking fiddle tunes and bluegrass, as if they describe the same genre, which they don't, necessarily. If you like old-time music, there is an old-time string band association and community in Nashville that meets to play 2-3 times a month. There is a vast reperotoire of traditional fiddle tunes that are mostly foreign to bluegrass, which you might enjoy getting into. This association exclusively plays and supports old-time, though; bluegrass is expressly avoided, though a number of tunes are in common. Still, if you're interested in learning and playing lots of new tunes, this could be really worthwhile and a good place to meet muscians. Email me if you're interested. Another suggestion is to get out of town. I find things to be much friendlier and inviting to newer players out of Nashville, though it's still hard to find information about where music is going on, though. One open bluegrass jam night I know of happens in Millersville (about 12-15 miles up I65) on 1st and 3rd Fridays. The jamming isn't always what I'm looking for, but I've met a number of people there I run into and play with all over the place. Also, if you can, come up to the instrument contest in Adams (north of Springfield) on the 12th-13th of August. It's a comfortable little event where you can jam, meet people, and ask around.

picksnbits
Jul-26-2005, 8:08am
You might want to go to Franklin this weekend for the annual Bluegrass Along the Harpeth (http://www.williamson-franklinchamber.com/event_calendar/index.cgi?sID=23&mode=detail&eID=8929) competition. Last time I was there people were jamming on the square.

tnpathfinder
Jul-28-2005, 9:03am
last Friday night I went to the full Moon Picking Party at Percy Warner. Well worth the five dollar donation to get in and you get four beer tickets. (Not a big deal if you don't like beer!) I think the next one is Aug. 15. I will have to double check that though. Lots of pickers showed up.

Picksnbits...I expected to see you there? What happened? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

tnpathfinder
Jul-28-2005, 9:06am
invisio122... Franklin is a really good festival. Lots of jammin. It seems to me that the only way to hear about local festvals is to go to one. There is always somebody handing out flyers for the NEXT festival. I'll be at Franklin, Come and check it out.

picksnbits
Jul-28-2005, 9:15am
My wife got tickets to "Fiddler On the Roof" that night. I'm gonna get to one of those Full Mooners some day. Only $5 huh?

I've got stuff going on Friday and Saturday so I may not make it to Franklin, either. I can usually talk my wife and daughter into going to that one as they enjoy the dance and band competitions.

acousticphd
Jul-28-2005, 2:56pm
Franklin is a really good festival.

I may come down part of Saturday, if it's not a million degrees that day. tnpathfinder, what color hat, what kind of instrument will you have?

tnpathfinder
Jul-29-2005, 4:36pm
I'll be wearing a dark blue cap with "G" on it (G for Gap, the clothing store....my wife...blah,blah), pickin a Putnam F5.
See you there..maybe.

bgjunkie
Jul-29-2005, 7:45pm
I think my wife and kids are going to check it out Saturday afternoon/evening. Don't think I'll have my mando with me since I'll be with the family, but I hope to meet some folks for future jams. I'll have a white LSU hat on, so if you see me, say hello.

Bobbie Dier
Jul-30-2005, 7:52am
What is the name of that park near Nashville where the "Full Moon Jam" is held. Does anybody have directions?

acousticphd
Jul-31-2005, 3:54pm
Percy Warner Park, at the equestrian center. It's on the south side of the park; entrance is from Old Hickory Rd.