PDA

View Full Version : The Ripple that could have been...

MissingString
Jun-29-2018, 8:56pm
Fingers crossed this isn’t duplicate content, I’ve searched the Cafe to be sure...

This video discusses the history of The Grateful Dead’s “Ripple” and has interesting content with Dawg. He demonstrates what he “would have played if allowed to enter the song sooner”. Mandolin content starts after about the one-minute mark.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/PIyfMiA3Xe0

mmuller
Jun-29-2018, 9:13pm
IMHO, it's wonderfully arranged as released. The focus is on the lyric and melody of the simple little tune. Weir ads just enough sparkle throughout the song with his capoed 7th fret acoustic part (right side). Grisman does 2 single lines in choruses, one panned left, the other right. Then plays for the chorus ride-outs at the end. Perfect arranging.
Here's my band. I transcribed everything and present live as released. www.deadonlive.com

Eric Hanson
Jun-29-2018, 10:26pm
Thanks so much for sharing! Pretty cool to have that footage to view.

MissingString
Jun-30-2018, 5:29am
IMHO, it's wonderfully arranged as released. The focus is on the lyric and melody of the simple little tune. Weir ads just enough sparkle throughout the song with his capoed 7th fret acoustic part (right side). Grisman does 2 single lines in choruses, one panned left, the other right. Then plays for the chorus ride-outs at the end. Perfect arranging.
Here's my band. I transcribed everything and present live as released. www.deadonlive.com

Thanks for the insight, agree is pretty great as is! Will definitely try to get to see you performance in NYC, looks like an incredible show.