PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Jams Dayton/Cinti area?

jose250
Jul-17-2005, 9:23pm
Looking for some bgrass players to play with. I don't know much, but would like to find an understanding, cool group of folks to surround myself with to learn from and play with. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kelly

Mando4Life
Jul-19-2005, 10:33am
Kelly,

This is too wild, I was just thinking about posting this the other day. The wife tells me I should get out and play with others (hope that's not a hidden meaning http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )

I would definitely be interested. I'm down in Cincinnati.

Hopefully some other folks will respond too.

WBL

jose250
Jul-19-2005, 10:07pm
Well, we've got 2 mandos, so that'd be a start. Now we need to find some other guys that may be interested. I don't know a bunch of people that play, but I could possibly find a guitar player somewhere. My brother is learning banjo, but he lives in KY, but we might be able to get him up here on occasion. It'd be nice to find a common place where this is already happening, ya know?

Mando4Life
Jul-19-2005, 10:09pm
there are local places in cincy that I'm aware of but have never went (for no good reason).

Vernon still has one on Saturdays at FOTMC. the web site www.cincygrass.com lists others too.

hopefully some others check in and we can maybe meet up.

WBL

jose250
Jul-19-2005, 10:35pm
That sounds good to me. I'm pretty busy for the rest of this month, but in August, I'll be more than ready to try and get together somewhere/sometime/somehow.....

You know, it is funny, my wife keeps telling me the same thing yours does.... Is this an Ohio thing???

Kelly

Scotti Adams
Jul-20-2005, 7:39am
...and just when I moved from the area...geesh...see how you guys are http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Mando4Life
Jul-20-2005, 7:49am
Hey Scotti,

Where in the world did you move?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Clermont/Brown Co aint that fur away http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

WBL

Scotti Adams
Jul-20-2005, 8:30am
...are ya ready for this?....Sardinia, Ohio in Brown County.....I have band rehearsal almost every weekend in Hamilton...its a 160 mile round trip.....so far this band has cost ne more than Ive made..esp. with gas prices as they are.....we are playing in Friendship, Indiana on the 13th of August.

Mando4Life
Jul-20-2005, 8:53am
that is a haul for sure. I spent the last 3 months driving out to Macon (past Sardiana bout 10 miles) three days a week. nice area though.

maybe sometime we can plan a get together.

good luck with the move.

WBL

Kodiak
Aug-01-2005, 8:19am
As long as it's a begining type situation, I can play bass. I'm in the ne corner of Cincinnati. Let me know if anyone would like to organize something or would like to work together organizing something.

Mando4Life
Aug-01-2005, 8:37am
I think we should try and organize a get together. I think it would be cool to meet other folks from the board and get to play some music.

My schedule changes from day to day; but weekends are usually wide open for me.

Hopefully some other folks will get on board.

WBL

Scotti Adams
Aug-01-2005, 4:29pm
..just a thought...we could have a pickin party here at my place...Ive got plenty of space...swimming pool....if you all want to drive out to Gods country it could be a good time..Im only 30 miles from Cincy....

jose250
Aug-01-2005, 7:24pm
Heck, I'm in. The bass would be fantastic, I think. Do we know any guitar players/banjo players that might be interested?? Might be crazy with 4 mandos and a bass.... Could potentially hurt myself or one of the other mando folks here. By the way, Kodiak, how long you been playin' bass? A buddy of mine has been thinking of picking one up. Any reccomendations for a good starter (sorry about wandering in the thread, guys--it's a bad habit).

My thought would be we'd need to do it on a weekend since we all around in a vicinity and not down the street. A Saturday perhaps???

Mando4Life
Aug-02-2005, 10:13am
Glad to see this may take shape. #I'm in for a weekend as well.

Scotti, that's awfully kind of you to offer up a place to meet. #Folks could bring some dogs/burgers, pick some tunes, and just enjoy life. I have no problems with makeing that drive; I did it from May to July. #

Maybe we can all PM email addresses and see what/who we come up with. #I could maybe wrangle my brother into coming and playing guitar. #I have to warn you all; he may relapse into some 70-80's stuff at any given moment. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif # He's still 'new' to flatpicking but can play the strings off on most other genres.

Let's make this happen folks.

WBL

Scotti Adams
Aug-02-2005, 11:24am
...well we would have to ping some dates back and forth so we could find a good date that is good for everybody....my Fiance and I are haveing an engagement party sometime soon...hey...no..thats not a good idea to combine them both... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif just a side note..Im going to be at Will Kimbles shop today around 3:30 if any body wants to drop by....Im having just a little tweaking done on the Rose...nut work.

jose250
Aug-02-2005, 6:19pm
Wish I coulda made it down there. Would like to see some of his stuff. Agreed on throwing out some dates. Like I said I'm pretty flexible through August and September, so just keep me in the loop and I'll make it work. Also, just want to let you guys know that this'll be a real new experience for me.

I've never actually played with another mando player before. Played a bit with my buddies who play guitar, and they've been real good about letting me learn and try to keep up with them. Still got less than a year under my belt, so before we actually meet up, would you guys want to throw out any songs you'd like to play that I could at least be working on the chords? It'd really help me not feel so newbie, if you know what I mean. I'd hate to sit there and stare at you guys the whole time.....

I can play a few (Red-Haired Boy, Salt Creek, Soldier's Joy, Bile 'em Cabbage Down, Clinch Mt. Backstep). And I'm picking up new stuff quick, so if I have the chance to get a head start, it'd really help.

Thanks, folks. Really looking forward to this (my wife probably is, too), whenever that may be...

Kelly

Scotti Adams
Aug-03-2005, 3:38pm
Im thinking sometime mid to late september...

jose250
Aug-03-2005, 6:07pm
That's sounds pretty good to me...

Mando4Life
Aug-03-2005, 8:00pm
Only weekend I can't make is the second one (10th, 11th); that's our belated honeymoon.

Other than that I'm free.

Kelly....sounds like you are off to a good start..I'm no veteran by any means..I been 'at' for about 3 years...always more that can be learned.

WBL

Kodiak
Aug-13-2005, 5:07pm
The above mentioned get together sounds very nice and I would like to participate, but is anyone interested in something a little more regular? Maybe we could get a small group together with no pressure and just start learning a few tunes. I would really like to learn to play with others. I think that the experience would really help my progess.

jose250
Aug-24-2005, 8:17pm
Well, it's getting closer to mid september. Anyone want to throw out some dates here?

Also, Kodiak, where do you live specifically? Wouldn't mind getting together to play a bit on a regular basis, also. I could definitely use the practice...

Mando4Life
Aug-24-2005, 8:20pm
The only weekend out for me is the second (10,11).

Other than that I'm good to go.

WBL

Kodiak
Aug-24-2005, 9:59pm
I'm in Montgomery/Loveland area. If anyone would like to get a regular or semi-regular thing started, that would be great. Just as a FYI, the Dubliner Pub on Montgomery Rd in Silverton has an Irish jam every Sunday if anyone is interested in that type of music.

F5G WIZ
Sep-04-2005, 1:54am
There is a jam every Friday night at Franks music store in Bethel Ohio, at 7 pm. Usually a full compliment of instruments there.

jose250
Sep-16-2005, 7:09pm
F5. That may be a little far for me, especially with gas prices and all (ain't that a bummer)!!!

Sorry I haven't been around guys. Been ripping off part of my roof and replacing it. BUT I'M READY TO GET SOME PLAYIN' GOING!!! Kodiak, if you're interested, let's try and get together on a regular basis. I really would love to have someone else pushing me. Anyone else? I'm open next weekend (22-24). Anyone else??? Email or PM me here. I'm ready to start picking with some mandos.....

Kelly

jose250
Sep-16-2005, 7:10pm
Heck, if people have nothing going on tomorrow, Saturday the 17th, I'll be more than happy to get together. I live in Middletown and I could handle 2 or 3 people if anyone's interested. Let me know.

K

Kodiak
Sep-29-2005, 5:59am
Jose250, my email address is capote6001@earthlink.net. I'd think it would be great to get together. I know the big issue is always scheduling, but I'd like to give it a go if you're interested. Maybe if we start something semi-regular, we can get others to join us. Just want to remind you that I'm new to this and will need some help/patience getting up to speed. Thanks.

A Starbucks (there's one on Montgoemry Rd. in Montgomery that I think we could meet at during one of their not too busy periods - most evenings, I would assume), something similar, or even someone's house might be a good place to start meeting. Let me know.