PDA

View Full Version : Pick-click for newbies

B381
Jun-27-2018, 11:02am
You can certainly hear it on this video.

https://youtu.be/d8kWikkgR4s

vanguard
Jun-27-2018, 11:54am
Yikes, you certainly can! Sounds like a Florida scoop is in order.

Roger Moss
Jun-27-2018, 12:04pm
That thing needs a valve job.

OldSausage
Jun-27-2018, 4:15pm
I'll never understand people who are all about pick click.

Charlie Bernstein
Jun-27-2018, 4:31pm
Yup. It's Floridaectomy time!

DHopkins
Jun-27-2018, 7:42pm

Maybe my sense of appreciation is misdirected but pick click can be very distracting to me.

B381
Jun-27-2018, 8:04pm
Kinda like a metronome...lol

Mark Wilson
Jun-27-2018, 8:52pm
yeah, who needs a drummer
pick click aside, he makes that mandolin sound ok

Roger Moss
Jun-27-2018, 9:47pm
yeah, who needs a drummer
pick click aside, he makes that mandolin sound ok

As good as any plywood mando can sound, I guess. I suspect lashings of EQ involved.

Larry Simonson
Jun-27-2018, 11:02pm
IMHO, the pick is just another vibrating surface. When the pick moves the string, the string bends the pick, and when they release each other, they have energy to dissipate and this comes out as sound and heat.

mee
Jun-28-2018, 3:52am
I hear that a lot on those extended fret boards. But Steven Cagle sure makes that Savanah sound good, except for the clicking.

DavidKOS
Jun-28-2018, 9:15am
Yikes, you certainly can! Sounds like a Florida scoop is in order.

Yup. It's Floridaectomy time!

No, it's time for the guy to learn to pick without hitting the fingerboard.

Notice how when the player picks single string passages he is almost moving the pick as much as when he strums a full chord.

That's why he's getting extra noise. It's not the fingerboard extension that is at fault, but sloppy picking.

Jim Garber
Jun-28-2018, 9:25am
Yes, it could be the "florida" that we are hearing but it could also be the fingernails on his right and hitting the top of the pickguard. He plays with a very loose and open hand.

OldSausage
Jun-28-2018, 9:33am
Yes, it could be the "florida" that we are hearing but it could also be the fingernails on his right and hitting the top of the pickguard. He plays with a very loose and open hand.

Or there could easily have been a squirrel tap-dancing on the table just out of shot.

Jim Garber
Jun-28-2018, 9:59am
Or there could easily have been a squirrel tap-dancing on the table just out of shot.

Though more likely that squirrel was hippy clogging.

Ray(T)
Jun-28-2018, 10:26am
From what I remember, the late John Hartford got a very similar effect whilst playing his banjo!

OldSausage
Jun-28-2018, 10:27am
Maybe my sense of appreciation is misdirected but pick click can be very distracting to me.

Here's an edumacation for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TS9ugnarQQ

mee
Jun-28-2018, 10:58am
I'm not sure why he is clicking the fretboard but he is actually a really good mandolin player and teacher and has traveled with big name bands. He is also a member of mandolin cafe. And as I mentioned earlier, I have listened to a lot of good players that hit that fretboard same way.

Mark Wilson
Jun-28-2018, 3:31pm
It's not the fingerboard extension that is at fault, but sloppy picking.I hope to be that sloppy someday

He probably plays regularly w/o that florida extension and just went at this one same as his own. Just guessing, but he has a pretty good right hand (for BG) to me

T.D.Nydn
Jun-28-2018, 3:58pm
It's your picking,,I think your right hand is angled to much,,I notice you click on the downstroke,,hitting the fretboard...

DavidKOS
Jun-28-2018, 6:15pm
Just guessing, but he has a pretty good right hand (for BG) to me

Maybe I shouldn't have commented since I don't come from a BG POV.

mee
Jun-29-2018, 6:30am
I'm telling you all despite the clicking in this video this man can probably blow all of you away with his playing. I have heard him.

T.D.Nydn
Jun-29-2018, 6:50am
I'm telling you all despite the clicking in this video this man can probably blow all of you away with his playing. I have heard him, hi
I doubt it, you haven't heard all of us,,

mee
Jun-29-2018, 8:02am

You are right and I apologize, but the cafe has members of all levels of playing and has always been encouraging each other and I was bothered that someone is criticizing a member they don't even know over something so trivial. Instead it should be commenting on how beautiful he makes that cheap mandolin sound.

Roger Moss
Jun-29-2018, 8:23am
Instead it should be commenting on how beautiful he makes that cheap mandolin sound.

He does that for a fact. I, unfortunately, usually have the opposite effect.

bigskygirl
Jun-29-2018, 9:33am
No doubt he’s a good player but it’s a nice indicator of inserting the pick too far into the strings. I have a mando with an unscooped Florida and when I first play it I get some click, it helps me work on gliding the pick over the strings so it’s not a bluegrass thing it’s technique.

DavidKOS
Jun-29-2018, 9:38am
I'm telling you all despite the clicking in this video this man can probably blow all of you away with his playing. I have heard him.

Maybe so.

Maybe not.

And many of us listen to Italian and classical players that have zero issues with pick click.

I guess my real issue is that I hate to see perfectly good mandolins get their upper register frets amputated because some players cannot control the pick.

Different standards in different style of music, I guess.

OldSausage
Jun-29-2018, 12:52pm
I guess my real issue is that I hate to see perfectly good mandolins get their upper register frets amputated because some players cannot control the pick.

Now things are just getting weird.

George R. Lane
Jun-29-2018, 1:04pm
[QUOTE=DavidKOS;1662837

And many of us listen to Italian and classical players that have zero issues with pick click.

QUOTE]

Nope, never have and probably won't. I don't have the pick click problem.

Todd Bowman
Jun-29-2018, 1:31pm
Click happens!

Check out "Going to Richmond", "Crossing the Briney", "Crossville", or "Goin' to the Ceili" in "Instrumentals" by Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder. You can listen on Spotify at:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3hDfOwKyc2KheagYTvcgUQ?si=w0Ropdy7Q4WOdL3sG7Q77g

DHopkins
Jun-29-2018, 8:17pm
How much better would all those "good" pickers sound if there was no pick click?