PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly Dragonfly 2

mee
Jun-25-2018, 4:01pm
I was given one of these, it's beautifully constructed, excellent condition except dead strings. From everything I have read on here, I don't expect much from sound. However despite the need for fresh strings it doesn't sound terrible. Action is good and low, clear notes no buzzing. I have searched for more info when the dragonfly 2 was produced,this one comes from Korea. And the website says "deep carved top" what does that mean? I don't know if that only pertains to the more recent ones. Any info on this would be helpful just to satisfy my curiosity :confused:

Steve Ostrander
Jun-25-2018, 4:53pm
It’s true that MKs are not a favorite here, but since it was a gift and you have nothing into it, you can spend a few $$ on it. If it needs a set up, do it. Maybe a Cumberland Acoustic bridge would improve the sound. Also, a Tone Guard might help with volume. Enjoy your new mandolin.

Folkmusician.com
Jun-25-2018, 8:11pm
"deep carved" is referring to the arching of the top and back. I don't recall if they actually had a more pronounced arch than average. :)

They have change factories several times, but that should still apply to yours.

pops1
Jun-25-2018, 9:42pm
There are several MK fans here and the dragonfly is the top of the line. They are not bad sounding and i prefer them to The Loar mandolins in sound. A good setup helps every mandolin.

mee
Jun-26-2018, 11:43am
168895 here is the serial # if anyone can make it out and date it.

Steve Ostrander
Jun-26-2018, 2:27pm
I once played an Elegante that I thought was OK. Otherwise, my experience with the MK line has been underwhelming. But hey, it was free so play the heck out of it and learn.

Roger Adams
Jun-26-2018, 3:44pm
A friend of mine has a MK Dragonfly, and to my ear it is a very decent mandolin in terms of build and sound. At least as good as most The Lores and some Kentuckys I have played. Hey, free ain't a bad deal! Enjoy!

Br1ck
Jun-26-2018, 7:03pm
I enjoy my 199.00 MK every day. It is what it is, but I've played all solid Kentuckys and Eastmans I didn't like any better. But right out of the box? Yuck. Ten hours of work later, it played just fine. I don't ever worry about it.

seg
Jun-26-2018, 7:18pm
I had a ‘Delux’ that I really liked. I wish I still had it to compare to my current Weber.

mee
Jun-27-2018, 2:38am
Got it set up with new strings and WOW what a difference. Crystal clear notes, good chop, not the sound of my Gibson but better than the Eastman I had. Maybe I'll give those Monel strings a try next string change.

steve in tampa
Aug-22-2020, 6:18am
I bought a Dragonfly MK11 in 2005 and play it a lot. It took about 5 years for the sound to open up. A very thick finish. I love the neck. The pickup is so so. I use it plugged in so I run it through a pre amp.