PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where I can buy an octave mandolin case?

Jim Adwell
Jun-21-2018, 12:58pm
Apparently these are hard to find. I made an octave mandolin recently and I'm having a problem finding a case for it. There is a listing on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194MNV9G/ ) but it is out of stock and unknown when it will be in stock. The inside dimensions on this case look to be an almost perfect fit for my octave - body is about 13.5" across, 5" high, 33 1/2 long.

Anyone know where I can find this case or another one that will fit my octave mandolin?

mandroid
Jun-21-2018, 1:47pm
seek out a company like Weber, etc that makes octave mandolins? buy a case from them/their dealers.

or use a bigger case like a guitar or banjo case and modify It? gain extra storage space in the process ..

CES
Jun-21-2018, 1:53pm
Agree with mandroid, I’d check with Weber...both Bruce and Two Old Hippies make/ sell OMs, and the Weber cases are solid...

MikeEdgerton
Jun-21-2018, 2:13pm
Have you contacted the importer? They might be able to point you to someone that has them in stock.

www.sagamusic.com

Jim Adwell
Jun-21-2018, 3:32pm
Have you contacted the importer? They might be able to point you to someone that has them in stock.

www.sagamusic.com (http://www.sagamusic.com)

I emailed them just now. Thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Jun-21-2018, 3:54pm
You might get lucky.

DHopkins
Jun-21-2018, 7:19pm
I had one custom-made at Cedar Creek. Eddie Blevins in Blountville, TN, built an f-style OM for me. As a matter of fact, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Because there is such a dearth of OM cases, Eddie furnished the specs to Cedar Creek and they built it and sent it Eddie who filled up and shipped it to me. Cedar Creek is a little pricey but they make a top quality product. You get to choose case color, interior color, hinges, locks, personalized labels, etc.

Paul Kotapish
Jun-21-2018, 7:31pm
Mine lives in a basic 3-ply banjo case. No idea what kind--I bought 40 years ago--but I just took my Westerman OM into a music store and tried a few until I found one that fit reasonably well.

I did have to make one modification. The case's handle was oriented so as to counterbalance the weight of of a banjo pot and resonator. With the much lighter body of the OM, the thing tilted weirdly.

I just bought a leather replacement handle and kludged together some D rings and strap hardware and mounted it a little bit closer to the neck so that it balanced better. A luggage shop could do it more elegantly, but my solution is still working 40 years and countless flights and gigs later, although I may have replaced that first handle somewhere along the line.

Bertram Henze
Jun-22-2018, 12:13am
I used a case for a half-acoustic electric guitar for mine (with the storage space the mandroid mentioned) until I found one allegedly made for my OM in China (I still had to shift the accessory box to make it fit, and it reeked of chemicals for 2 weeks).

derbex
Jun-22-2018, 3:46am
Mine is in a banjo case.

Jim Adwell
Jun-22-2018, 6:54am
I ordered a banjo case from Musicians Friend that should fit. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Folkmusician.com
Jun-22-2018, 4:10pm
When Saga ran out of Octave mandolin cases a few years back, it turns out they were being made my a single person operation. The man had passed. It was quite a while before they had them again. I imagine these are made in very low volumes.

A banjo case will normally fit, they are just a bit long.

You might check in with Gold Tone.