PDA

View Full Version : Six More Miles - Danny Paisley

BradKlein
Jun-20-2018, 8:27am
Howdy Cafe,

Does anyone have a live recording of Danny Paisley and doing the song, Six More Miles (by Hank Williams)? Maybe it was with James King? It used to be up on YT, I think part of a live concert or tv show, and now it's gone and I don't think that song was released on any of their recordings.

Thanks!

Willie Poole
Jun-20-2018, 11:17am
If I did I would give it away...

BradKlein
Jun-20-2018, 11:35am
If I did I would give it away...

I don't get you. Are you saying that you'd be happy to help? or that you don't like Danny Paisley? or Hank,god forbid :-) ?

Timbofood
Jun-20-2018, 8:34pm
I don’t know and can’t speak for Willie but, one of the most tender renditions I’ve heard was from Larry Sparks.
There ain’t no blue like “Larry” Blue for me.

Now, Willie, don’t be cruel!

Willie Poole
Jun-23-2018, 8:47am
I`m not being cruel, I was offered a job picking with Bob Paisley, Danny`s dad but was a working man with a family to support so I declined...I just cannot stand to listen to Danny`s "singing" his voice cracks and his timing is way off...BUT everyone likes what they like so have at it, he does have some good pickers in his band, most of the time, I knew a few of them back in the days of my festival going days at Gettysburg...Knew the Lundy boys pretty well, Jerry was a good fiddler, Bobby a good banjo player, I believe they are cousins to each other...

Timbofood
Jun-23-2018, 10:38am
No problem Willie, I can appreciate the feelings about not being “warm and fuzzy” about cracking voices and poor timing, that’s simple enough to understand. I have had the same thing happen to me, I did one gig with a guy and then he just thought I was his sideman! I had to get a little hard lined about it.

FLATROCK HILL
Jun-23-2018, 8:49pm
Don't know anyone's version but Hank's. Don't see how it could get much better.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-24-2018, 2:53am
From Flatrock Hill - " Don't know anyone's version but Hank's. Don't see how it could get much better." IMHO - It couldn't. That guy had so much soul in his voice, that some of his songs bring a lump to my throat.

Dan Paisley has a very distinctive voice which i like - but !. It's a tad 'hard' for a sentimental song like 'Six More Miles' IMO.

I do very much like the version by The Stanley Bros.,
Ivan;)
6QwOf6_-O6s

PS - One might argue that Bill Monroe's voice in ''Body & Soul'' is 'hard sounding',but you can hear
his voice almost 'weeping' in anguish at his loss. It's one of my all time favourite Monroe songs.

Timbofood
Jun-24-2018, 8:53am
I had not listened to the Stanley version of that in some time, thanks for sharing and jogging my memory.
This style of soulful singing is so intriguing to me, it’s just such a personal, almost intimate, sharing of the song. I miss the masters of the music like Bill, Carter, Ralph, and so many others. The commitment of those guys is what drew me to the music.
I will get a good dose of the Stanley’s in a couple of weeks, I picked up both the “Complete Mercury” and “Columbia” recordings and will peel the covers off before my trip.

AlanN
Jun-24-2018, 9:10am
Ivan (or anyone),

Do you know who is on mandolin on that cut? It has the 50's Monroe groove down.

Willie Poole
Jun-24-2018, 12:19pm
Sounds like an oval hole mandolin to me but sounds good also, a lot like Jimmy Martins F-4 sounded...I don`t know who is playing it but I like the sound of it...A question, Did Red Rector ever play with The Stanleys? It sound a lot like his playing...

Willie

Mark Gunter
Jun-24-2018, 7:18pm
The Clinch Mountain Echo website credits Ricky Skaggs with mandolin on this. http://www.clinchmountainecho.co.uk/disc/slp1503.php

BradKlein
Jun-25-2018, 1:04am
That's a worthwhile Ralph Stanley album, and you can hear the whole thing HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CUIETiqu40&list=PL5VTzEhN3lum66A3fG5CF1uKH-GjYOeEU).

But still looking for the Paisley version, if anyone can point us in that direction.

AlanN
Jun-25-2018, 5:55am
Thanks, Mark and Brad. I forgot just how good and true Picky Ricky could be.

BradKlein
Jun-25-2018, 8:08am

And just barely old enough to drive when that was recorded!

Timbofood
Jun-25-2018, 10:05am
Thanks for the jacket shot Brad!
I just missed Roy Lee Centers in the band, I didn’t start swimming in the BG pool until Roy had passed. I saw Ralph first at Charlotte
With Ricky and Keith Whitley, that was one hot band! I knew that was the music I wanted to get to know better!
The question I have is who is the fiddle player in the picture in Ivan’s post (#8)?

BradKlein
Jun-25-2018, 11:52am
The question I have is who is the fiddle player in the picture in Ivan’s post (#8)?

That's just an older Stanley Bros photo that someone put up on youtube. Nothing to do with the audio. I think that's from the Newport folk fest. You can see Carter on the right, and the fiddler is Red Stanley, someone I don't know much about, except that I don't think he's a relative.

Timbofood
Jun-26-2018, 5:57am
Thanks Brad, I knew the clip was not from the same time frame but, couldn’t think of Red Stanley.

BradKlein
Jun-26-2018, 9:49am
No prob. And just for the record - I DO like Danny Paisley's singing, very much. He's a stylist and no one is going to please everyone, but I happen to think that he and his father's recordings have great musical and emotional content that puts them near the top of their generations of bluegrass bands.

I love Hank Williams too, but his (original) version is a different thing, of course.

I should have recorded Paisley's Six More Miles off the computer while I could. Now I'll have to hire the band to come over to my house and teach it to me. ;-)

Timbofood
Jun-26-2018, 4:43pm
Go find a copy of Sparks version, still sends chills up my spine!

BradKlein
Jun-26-2018, 8:15pm
I do like Count Sparkula’s version, but that’s not the one i’m looking for.

Timbofood
Jun-27-2018, 5:45am
Understood.

Gary Hedrick
Jun-30-2018, 10:14am
Mac Wiseman did a very good version of it also....His voice fit very well for the song

Timbofood
Jun-30-2018, 3:31pm
Mac sounded better when he was “heavier” in my opinion. I heard him do 6 more miles after he lost the weight when he did a show with Bill Monroe and the Osborne Brothers up in Midland. Bill's birthday 1992(?) I took a great shot of Sonny, I will have to see about scanning it!
I was in Photographer mode that day, shot probably ten rolls, there were maybe five pictures worth the paper. I think I decided that day, I could not afford that hobby!

BradKlein
Jul-01-2018, 11:31am
I hear that Michael Daves and Tony Trischka were visiting with Mac this weekend, and may have recorded something for the ArtistWorks BG Vocals school. I'll be eager to hear what he had to say.

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-10-2018, 7:09am

Thread derail allert.

Check this video out. I would guess that this is the mandolin that Ricky Skaggs plays on the above mentioned record (50ies/60ies Jethro Gibson).

SnqG6WTGTP0

Timbofood
Jul-10-2018, 9:16am
Olaf, you can derail my thread with that kind of concert ANYTIME!
I love the way Ralph plays “around” the string that went flat! This is history! I love it!

AlanN
Jul-10-2018, 10:14am
Thread derail allert.

Check this video out. I would guess that this is the mandolin that Ricky Skaggs plays on the above mentioned record (50ies/60ies Jethro Gibson).

SnqG6WTGTP0

Great clip! Ricky was a gum-chewin' fool...

Timbofood
Jul-10-2018, 6:23pm
Just spent some time waiting for someone at a doctors office, the “whole show” was really great! What store was that a promo for? Thanks so much Olaf, I enjoyed every minute of it! Curly Ray always looks like he’s waiting for the pizza guy! My age is showing, I SAW that band shortly after Roy Lee Centers demise, at Charlotte, MI. Maybe not that shortly, 1974(?)
It was a cool summer and late night music carried a long way to a young ear like mine back then.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-11-2018, 3:14am
From Timothy - " My age is showing,.." I suspect that there are folks a lot younger than you who'd love to have been old enough (or even 'born') to be there. Although at times,i wish that i was maybe 40 years younger,i'll never regret having seen many awesome musicians that aren't with us any more eg. Carter Stanley with Ralph & The Boys at the Royal Albert Hall,London, on March 11th 1966,& later on in June '66,Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys in Manchester,for whom my own band opened. I wouldn't have missed seeing those guys for a 50 year age rebate !!,
Ivan;)

Willie Poole
Jul-11-2018, 10:41am
About the "Good Old Days"...There was a time when a new store or an automobile dealer etc opened a new establishment they would book a bluegrass band to entertain folks while they were looking at the items in the store or at the new cars...I have played a few in my time but you just don`t see if any more...These young folks coming up now sure are missing a lot of good experience in playing bluegrass, Its almost like I have to beg an establishment to give us a booking these days but I guess that also depends on what part of the country you live in, at one time this area was "The bluegrass capital of the US" now a person is hard pressed to even find and open mic happening...My band does have a few places that keep booking us and we have played them for well over 15 years and the crowd is almost always the same faces each time we play those places but as they die off they don`t seem to be getting replaced by as many younger folks as the ones that die off...It is sad that bluegrass can`t flourish like it used to....WAMU radio at one time broadcast bluegrass for six hours every day but they feel now that a talk show is a better money maker and that folks will donate more money for that than they would for the bluegrass...

Yeah, I am crying over spilt milk but that's the way it is truthfully...

Willie