PDA

View Full Version : Mandobird VIII

peterbc
Jan-15-2004, 3:23am
There is now an 8 string electric Mandobird on the Epiphone website (http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=235&CollectionID=11) and some new colors for the original 4 string (though I still like the sunburst). Pretty cool, I think, though I'd like to know if there is any reinforcement in the neck... with 8 strings I'd think that could be a problem.

Peter

Sellars
Jan-15-2004, 4:23am
Oh yes! apparently the mandobird concept worked! I love the new colours, and I especially like the 8 string. I hop it hass a trussrod indeed!

Now the wait is for a 8-sting explorer mando http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Magnus Geijer
Jan-15-2004, 2:36pm
Looks like it's all mahogany now. Wasn't it nato before?

peterbc
Jan-15-2004, 2:58pm
I don't like the red myself, but the gold flake is cool and I'd like to see what the other gold and the green look like. But I want the 8 stringer!

mad dawg
Jan-15-2004, 3:15pm
This is great news, but I would love for EPI to produce an 8-string mandolin version of the Flying V. Would that be cool, or what?

peterbc
Jan-15-2004, 4:39pm
I would really really like a truss rod in the mandobird myself...

Lee
Jan-15-2004, 5:24pm
There is absolutely no need for a trussrod in a four or five string emando.
Don't use acoustic mandolin string gauges! Try 0.08", 0.012", 0.18"w, and 0.024"w size strings and you'll be able to bend notes for those blues tunes you want to play.

peterbc
Jan-15-2004, 5:58pm
But what about for the 8 stringer? It seems that doubling the tension could cause some problems, but I might just be paranoid. I still have the stock strings on, but wouldn't .008-.024 be extremely light? Do you use guitar strings?

mando bandage
Jan-15-2004, 8:03pm
This is great news, but I would love for EPI to produce an 8-string mandolin version of the Flying V. Would that be cool, or what?

Mad Dawg,

There's a "Kayfield V" Vandolin which is such a beast on the Eye Candy Electric page. #Don't know if it's still in production, but it sure turns my head.

R

crosspicker
Jan-15-2004, 8:37pm
What are the gauges of the stock strings on the Mandobird?

delsbrother
Jan-16-2004, 2:36am
MUST.... HAVE.... RED... MANDOBIRD... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

But where's the Polaris White? I think I may have to take matters into my own hands..

Ted Eschliman
Jan-16-2004, 9:48am
Colors are very cool in person.
Funny, one of them at NAMM had a Bartolini pickup in it. Someone was asleep at the wheel on that, cause I guarantee this won't be standard stock. I was told these were prototypes, but the four colors were the ones they've scheduled for production.
I'm not holding my breath, I've still got six of the vintage sunburst on backorder from July.
I'll be posting pictures of these when I get back from NAMM.

johnwalser
Jan-16-2004, 1:31pm
I see nothing ODD about a Bartolini pickup in a Mandobird ..... mine has a Bartolini!
I also MUST HAVE A RED MANDOBIRD!!!!
John

John Rosett
Jan-16-2004, 4:19pm
come on, epiphone- let's have a 5-string moderne!!!!!!!!!

peterbc
Jan-16-2004, 4:42pm
I want to see what the other gold color and the green one looks like... A nice surf green would be pretty sweet, I think! Now I want to trade my 4 string sunburst for a gold or green one and pick up an 8 stringer too!

Bob Borzelleri
Jan-16-2004, 7:14pm
What? #No lucite body?

...Bob

J Clark
Jan-17-2004, 1:03pm
Just wanted to spread a little mandobird info. I spoke with Dierks Bentley Monday. He was getting a Mandobird for his guitar player for his birthday! So, I hope that means that he will be playing it this year on the George Strait Tour. Happy Birthday and enjoy the Mandobird.
JC

Larry S Sherman
Feb-06-2004, 6:07pm
Hi,

Just curious...has anyone actually picked up one of the new VIII's yet? I've had no luck finding info online.

Larry

peterbc
Feb-06-2004, 7:43pm
It was announced at NAMM, but I don't think they're being sold yet... They're just teasing us with new toys!