PDA

View Full Version : My old Bluegrass band, circa 1978-79

Dale Ludewig
Jun-17-2018, 3:25pm
It is with some hesitancy that I'm doing this. Our bluegrass band from the late 1970's, Bluestem, had part of one of our practices recorded in an apartment on a reel to reel recorder. One mic. The recording was actually done by a photographer friend, who also happens to be the guy that took the first modelling photos of Cindy Crawford.
Anyway, I recently stumbled on the files and converted them to MP3's. And after you listen to this, you should note that I actually slowed them down. The pitch is still where we were at. I was about 30 back then. And we were frenetic.
So please forgive the tone but it's interesting to look back. I'm playing banjo. The mandolin player, Mike O'Connell passed away recently. The bass player, Tim Tyner, who is singing lead on this one, passed away some years ago. The guitar player, David Kolars, and I still play a lot together.
So- a shot back into time.

Jim Garber
Jun-17-2018, 3:35pm
I love it. Thanks, Dale. I love your break, esp that gliss at the end. Fantastic? You have more?

Dale Ludewig
Jun-17-2018, 3:40pm
Thanks Jim. Remember, I'm playing banjo. The mandolin player is Mike O'Connell. He took lessons from Jethro.
I've got a few more. I'll put one more up now. This will be the same practice. This one I'm singing lead on. Quite the tenor I was...

sunburst
Jun-17-2018, 5:09pm
I won't make any comments about the descent from Cindy Crawford to Dale Ludewig... oh wait, I just did...

That was back in my rock-n-roll drumming days! I hadn't even started playing Bluegrass yet.
I must admit it sounds pretty good.

Jim Garber
Jun-17-2018, 6:47pm
Thanks Jim. Remember, I'm playing banjo. The mandolin player is Mike O'Connell. He took lessons from Jethro.

Sorry, Dale. I missed that about your playing banjo. I went back to hear your banjo break around 2:50. I am no connoisseur of bluagrass banjo but that sounds pretty solid to me and I like the jazzy riff at the end.

Ken
Jun-17-2018, 8:25pm
Thanks Dale. Some history here. Sorry to learn about Mike. I was in DeKalb in 78-79 and he was one of my inspirations to take up mandolin.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-17-2018, 8:52pm
Fine stuff!

HonketyHank
Jun-17-2018, 10:00pm
Thanks for sharing those tunes, Dale. It's great to associate actual music (and good stuff, at that) with the folks whose posts one reads with respect.

AndyV
Jun-17-2018, 10:41pm
Anyway, I recently stumbled on the files and converted them to MP3's. And after you listen to this, you should note that I actually slowed them down. The pitch is still where we were at. I was about 30 back then. And we were frenetic.

Thanks for sharing. On one hand I understand slowing it down, but on the other, I'd always prefer to hear music as originally intended by the artists.

Let's have a show of hands. Who wants to hear them at original speed? I'm curious.

Timbofood
Jun-18-2018, 7:27am
For some reason, I can’t open the mp3 file, all I get is a wall of code.

Denny Gies
Jun-18-2018, 8:21am
Thanks for sharing. I sounds as though you guys were having a ton of fun. Good job.

MikeZito
Jun-18-2018, 10:18am
Nice job - If I was still producing the old-time country/bluegrass radio show, I would offer to play the song on the air.

Now, about those Cindy Crawford pictures . . . .