PDA

View Full Version : Chris Baird's shop burns - Arches Mandolins

Mandolin Cafe
Jun-14-2018, 12:26pm
Sorry to see this news on Chris' Facebook page. Chris is the creator of Arches Mandolins.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.baird.98

pops1
Jun-14-2018, 12:34pm
That is so sad, fire is so devastating and leaves nothing to salvage. Best wishes for Chris and his family. Hope he can find the strength to continue from such hard times.

O. Apitius
Jun-14-2018, 12:39pm
That is just so tragic to see. I know it will be a long road to recovery. I wish Chris all the best in getting through this.

ccravens
Jun-14-2018, 12:50pm
Thoughts and prayers for Chris and family.

I'm thankful no one was hurt, but still this is so sad..

CES
Jun-14-2018, 1:11pm
Sorry to hear, Chris, you and your family will be in my prayers...

Northwest Steve
Jun-14-2018, 2:06pm
Tragic....sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you can rebuild the shop and get back to building.

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-14-2018, 3:40pm
When it rains it really pours. "The other thread" informed the mandolin community that Chris Baird has to cope with some health issues that made him take up a regular job in order to qualify for health benefits. So obviously recently he is building part time while trying to cope with backorders. This fire is yet another setback.

Hang in there Chris. All my good wishes are with you.

Br1ck
Jun-14-2018, 6:58pm
I'm looking at my 3/4 completed Arches kit in a whole new light now. What a shame to have this added to the rest of his troubles. Makes me want to start a shop recovery fund. How many home made jigs must have gone up in smoke. Terrible.

Skip Kelley
Jun-14-2018, 7:40pm
That is just heart breaking! Can we do a go fund me page for him as a community?

WoMando
Jun-14-2018, 10:53pm
I have done a little reading about fund raising sites. Gofundme and similar sites take a considerable amount off the top. A Paypal account set up in the person's name tacks on a small fee that comes off of the top of each individual contribution.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2018, 1:29am
That's tragic !!. I've been an admirer of Chris' work since i saw a photo. of a Walnut F4 style mandolin that he'd built several years back - truly beautiful. Dare we hope that he was insured ?. So many luthiers don't seem to be.

I can only hope that Chris & his family come through this with help from their friends & their extended family - bad news indeed !!!,
Ivan:(

Steve L
Jun-15-2018, 2:39am
Very sorry to see this. I'm a happy owner of a Flat Top Oval he made a while back. all the best to him.

Mandobar
Jun-15-2018, 4:06am
I have done a little reading about fund raising sites. Gofundme and similar sites take a considerable amount off the top. A Paypal account set up in the person's name tacks on a small fee that comes off of the top of each individual contribution.

It is the same for any PayPal account, and that is just the cost of using this facility to process credit card payments. It’s no different than buying goods or paying for services online. Don’t let this deter you from contributing.

fscotte
Jun-15-2018, 5:35am
Im speechless. :(

Timbofood
Jun-15-2018, 6:33am
This kind of thing always makes me sad! Sure it’s a financial loss but, there is no way to put a price on the hours spent designing and building the tooling for a shop. It’s priceless.

Eric Hanson
Jun-15-2018, 7:27am
That is just heart breaking! Can we do a go fund me page for him as a community?
I would be on board to support such if someone starts one.

sunburst
Jun-15-2018, 12:20pm
Health problems, a "real job", a shop fire...
It's like a bad blues song... but no where to go but up from here.

Cheryl Watson
Jun-15-2018, 1:32pm
I hope that Chris is able to get up and running again. This is such sad news.

Br1ck
Jun-15-2018, 2:41pm
The more I think about this, and I'm working on my Arches kit every day so it's a lot, it is the loss of jigs and home built tools that bums me out the most. But looking at the bright side, a lot of knowledge has been gained, and rebuilding all those jigs could make them better.

But if you don't feel well, not much else really matters, so here's wishing Chris better health. And if you have some extra fret files, a finger plane, or coping saw, why not put them in a box and send them his way. Looks to me like he could use anything.

Walt
Jun-15-2018, 4:15pm
Dang, so sorry to hear this. I bought Arches number 4 several years ago. It has been my main instrument for ~14 years. Chris is an amazing luthier. I was young-ish when I found it here on the Cafe and was a little nervous about buying a builder's 4th mandolin. But then it showed up and was absolutely flawless. Chris had it right even from the beginning.
Here's hoping that things will look up. I know a lot of us have gotten a lot of joy out of his work.

Caleb
Jun-17-2018, 7:29am
That is incredibly sad, and that image is truly gut-wrenching.

sliebers
Jun-17-2018, 11:34am
Very sorry to hear this. I hope luck turns for the better for Chris from now on.

ABmando
Jun-17-2018, 9:40pm
I would like to donate. I think paypals gift option does not charge any money.
If we had an email address for the donations, it could work.
Many blessing to Chris and his loved ones.

Steve Sorensen
Jun-19-2018, 10:05am
Oh man, this is heartbreaking. I hope, at least, Chris reads this string are knows how much love and support there is for him in this community. Let us know how we can help.

Steve

mandroid
Jun-19-2018, 3:48pm
FB page shows he had a Machine Shop too...

Know cause of fire ?

Bob Stolkin
Jun-19-2018, 5:31pm
I bought a great A-style from Chris a few years ago. Awesome instrument, and Chris is just a really nice guy. So sorry to hear about this.

j. condino
Jun-21-2018, 12:47am
Bummer. I'll offer some materials donations to help him get back to building mandolins when the time is right. Don't hesitate to ask the community; it could happen to any one of us.

j.
www.condino.com

Nick Gellie
Jun-21-2018, 4:36am
It is ironic that i am a fire scientist and that one of my mandolin kits i purchased recently was going to Spain got burnt to a cinder. So i am down $650 USD. I have supported Chris because his stuff are one of the best around.

We are living in a an unpredictable world. As a species we think we can live outside the limits of nature. It is very sad that Chris has to had a run of health, family, and now his business has been burnt to the ground.

For those ofyou who live in cities and towns the Wildfire Urban Interface (WUI) has these potential risks. I live in one of the most fire prone regions in the world and understand these risks and know how to reduce them. For many ordinary people they dont have a clue because their relationship with the natural world is becoming non-existent. If you live in one if thes places, you need to have a system to protect yourself from wildfire. That includes a water sprinkling system independent if the water supply and electricity.

I hipe Chris can find a way to get back on his feet. It is wonderful that forum members can find ways to support Chris. I have corresponded with him and he is in crisis mode.

Jim M.
Jun-23-2018, 2:35pm
That's tragic !!. I've been an admirer of Chris' work since i saw a photo. of a Walnut F4 style mandolin that he'd built several years back - truly beautiful. Dare we hope that he was insured ?. So many luthiers don't seem to be.

I can only hope that Chris & his family come through this with help from their friends & their extended family - bad news indeed !!!,
Ivan:(

That's my F4 that Chris built in 2005. My how time flies. I just sent Paypal gift funds to Chris at <private email address remove>, in case anyone needs the address.

NOTE: forum guidelines specify the posting of private email addresses of individuals is not permitted.

Gerry Cassidy
Jun-27-2018, 4:35pm
Oh, my. This really was a chest shot. Especially since he JUST said he was looking at cutting back on kits and getting back into instrument building. I sincerely hope this doesn't stop him from doing that.

I own a couple of his instruments and as there are others which have come and gone; these Arches aren't going anywhere.

I look forward to the opportunity to play a few more before it's all said and done.

Cochiti Don
Jun-28-2018, 1:16pm
I personally don’t know him but when I was a working potter, there was and still is a craftsmen’s organization that everyone contributed to that specifically dealt with such tragedies. The Craftsmen Emergency Relief Fund. CERF. They sent goodly sums of money to rebuild studios ravaged by fire and flood.

Jim M.
Jun-28-2018, 4:59pm
The word I got from Chris is that he appreciates the support he has received. His internet access has been limited because he, the kids, and the dogs have been couchsurfing since the fire. You can Paypal him at the e-mail he used for business. If you need that e-mail, pm me.

CERF is great but has been out of funds for a while. If you'd like to donate to CERF, you can do so here: https://cerfplus.org/

Chris Baird
Jul-26-2018, 11:09pm
Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update to those who had deposits in with me.

I've just now gotten back into my house. It had to be remediated for smoke damage and have the windows replaced.

My kids, dogs, and I have been living with friends for the past month. Plus I've been borrowing various vehicles as mine all burned up.

I'm going to have to earn and save up the money to refund the deposits folks have put in with me at my job. I have no problem doing this, but it is going to take me some time to do it. I plan to pay folks back in phases, as I can afford it.

I'm sorry for all the trouble.

Br1ck
Jul-27-2018, 3:07am
I am on the verge of stringing up my Arches F5 kit. Cutting a nut and fitting the bridge is all that's left. Buy end of tomorrow I should be playing it in the white. It has been a wonderful journey and a source of much angst and delight, and so much fun. Can't thank Chris enough for the quality kit.

Wishing nothing but good to come your way.

Nick Gellie
Oct-13-2018, 1:29pm
I was wondering how Chris was going after his shop and vehicles were incinerated in a wildfire last June. Anyone heard how he is going?

Br1ck
Oct-14-2018, 1:19am
I'd like to know too. My Arches kit gets better every day.

Nick Gellie
Oct-14-2018, 3:13am
Well his business email is no longer working. His website is down. He may stopped having emails being sent to him.

Gerry Cassidy
Jan-10-2022, 1:18pm
Happy New Year!

Has anyone heard any news from Chris?

I am a long time fan of his instruments. I still own a couple of them.

I also have a couple of email addresses and phone numbers, none of which work any longer.

I hope he is back on the scene one of these days...

Rose #1
Jan-11-2022, 10:37pm
Oh no this is terrible!! Praying for Chris and his family