PDA

View Full Version : recording gear help

Mteresko
Mar-11-2004, 11:20am
I've started playing around with setting up a home studio, and have gotten or soon will get the following:
Aardvark USB3 audio interface
Behringer UB802 mixer
ART Tube OPL preamp
2- MXL 603S mics
1- MXL 990 mic

I was using Cool Edit 2K for editing transcriptions from vinyl, but have upgraded to Adobe Audition for live recording.

Do any of the more expert folks out there have some suggestions for additional equipment? From the equipment listed above it should be clear that I am trying to keep my budget on the small side. In particular, I'ld like a small self-powered mic I could plug into the USB3 and a laptop to record my lessons with a minimum of fuss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PCypert
Mar-11-2004, 12:33pm
Hey,
There's obviously headphones. You might already have, but a set of Sony MDR7506's are really nice. Not the cheapest, but you don't want cheap while listening.

You'll also want monitors. Go to harmonycentral.com and check out their sticky thread on equipment recomendations.

Then if you need another mic you should definately get a Shure SM57 and 58. These are pretty much standard studio fare. And they're very affordable (compared with the high end stuff).

Then I wouldn't worry too much about more gear. Invest in headphones and monitors and then take time to get used to all your gear. Recording people seem to get really caught up in gear (I'm very guilty - ended up having to sell it all because I was going to far with it all). The main thing is to get really familiar with all the equipment you have, micing techniques, etc. Then worry about more gear. Don't worry about the latest plug-ins or any of that mess. Just go slowly and train your ears. You'll be fine with what you have. Good luck to you.
Paul

nickdanger59
Mar-11-2004, 5:42pm
Paul Skip the mixer and go directly from the ART to your audio interface. The Art has level control built in. Record as hot as you can.