PDA

View Full Version : Strap with Pick Pocket

Pittsburgh Bill
Jun-03-2018, 4:50pm
Can anyone recommend a strap with a pick pocket? I have a few very nice straps I bought on Amazon, SaberPacific Mag Strap. Great strap, but with a minimum length of 38". I like a strap at 36" for my most comfortable playing position. The length renders these otherwise comfortable and convenient straps not user friendly for me.
If no one can make a better recommendation I may take these straps to a shoemaker to be shortened at what will probably cost twice as much as the straps.

Roger Adams
Jun-03-2018, 5:18pm
In looking at that strap, I think I would just shorten the end by 2 inches and punch in a new end pin hole with slot. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, I am sure a leather shop would do it for little or nothing. 2 min job!

I notice you have a Keith Edward Coleman A style. How do you like it? He is in Albuquerque, and I visited with him once. New fella.

Pittsburgh Bill
Jun-03-2018, 9:57pm
I notice you have a Keith Edward Coleman A style. How do you like it? He is in Albuquerque, and I visited with him once. New fella.[/QUOTE]

He is a very nice fella and builds a very nice sounding/playing instrument minus frills. There are few instruments I have heard at his price point I would prefer to play.

Ron McMillan
Jun-03-2018, 10:35pm
Shortening a strap is as easy as buying a hole punch and a craft knife. Practice on a scrap piece of leather like an old trouser belt until you get comfortable with hammering the hole then opening up a slot of about 8mm on the upward side of the hole.

For a pick holder, I think I might try a little bit of fabric or leather and a couple of dots of super glue or even pva glue.

Pittsburgh Bill
Jun-04-2018, 6:34am
[QUOTE=Ron McMillan;1658014]Shortening a strap is as easy as buying a hole punch and a craft knife. Practice on a scrap piece of leather like an old trouser belt until you get comfortable with hammering the hole then opening up a slot of about 8mm on the upward side.

The ends are not leather, but instead two sandwiched pieces of vinyl with nylon between. Simply punching a hole and/or cutting off excess would require stitching around the new hole or where the end was cut off. Do to the thickness of the materal a shoemakers sewing machine would be required to do the stitching. I may attempt this and use fabric glue to keep everything together.
I was hoping to find a shorter version of a similar strap. All similar straps I have found are as long or longer.

mandroid
Jun-04-2018, 10:34am
I could suggest your local handicraft people may make you something if you distrust your own, DIY chops.

Have a village shoe repair shop?

Chris Daniels
Jun-04-2018, 1:09pm
D'Addario Planet Waves straps have a pick pocket (suitable for a standard pick) and some go as short as 32". I have one on my Mandobird that I had originally used for electric guitar and there's probably more than a third of the available adjustment still remaining if I wanted to shorten it more. Very comfortable strap too.

C.

Timbofood
Jun-04-2018, 3:39pm
Put the pick in your pocket.

pops1
Jun-04-2018, 4:41pm
It looks to me like you could punch two more holes with the slit in each side. It doesn't need to be cut off, so no need to sew. Most of my straps have more than one hole on the end.

Pittsburgh Bill
Jun-04-2018, 10:27pm
Put the pick in your pocket.

Usually stay at naturist camps when traveling. No pockets available.

mandroid
Jun-05-2018, 3:26pm
I tuck my pick under the strings when I'm, not using it.

Jacob
Jun-05-2018, 3:42pm
Wedgie (https://www.wedgie.com/guitar-pick-holder.html)?

Roger Moss
Jun-05-2018, 4:10pm

You could keep it between...errr...never mind.

Louise NM
Jun-06-2018, 8:55am
You can find pickpockets on many large-city sidewalks or subways.

mandroid
Jun-07-2018, 1:15pm
and Airports..

Timbofood
Jun-07-2018, 3:53pm

That’s a mental picture I will be tormented with for the rest of my life!
Thanks Bill!
I finally looked closely at the strap, it looks to me like you could either punch a hole with a leather punch and cut a small slit then reinforce the edge with fabric glue easily enough or, you could basically fold the strap part and sew it shorter, or even tie a know in one end.
If you sew the little fold closed on one end you could put a bottle opener in there too!
Just a few “bare bone” ideas.