PDA

View Full Version : Travel to buy

Br1ck
Jun-02-2018, 12:55pm
I've been following a recent what should I buy thread, and just saw the OPs SoCal address. Probably a six hour drive or a short flight to The Mandolin Store. Now think about it, you are buying something you could spend thousands of hours with. To me the trouble is well worth it. Now I'm within half an hour of two pretty good shops, and between those, I'd be likely to find something I'd be happy with, but if I were spending upwards of $5000, I'd grab a flight to Phoenix and head to TMS. Wouldn't even stay overnight.
I realize some might live two hours from an airport and that can be an issue because small airport flights cost, but a three day weekend jaunt would be doable to compare.

The I'm a four hour drive from a store argument is senseless unless you've played a brand you know you want and they don't have it.

I have a friend a hour's drive from Portland. He bought a guitar for $7000 online. He's happy with it, but why not drive to try six or eight at once. How much money goes down the drain buying new and selling to buy something else later? I think investing in some travel is worth it.

And budget a healthy chunk for the other half to go shopping in the big city. That will help when you go a grand over budget for that special mandolin.

FredK
Jun-02-2018, 2:53pm
Just about a year ago, I bought a Loar LM520 from TMS - sight unseen. There are hardly any local stores in the Dallas area with a good selection to try and I had no experience with Mandolin except what I have heard from other's playing. So I had to rely on research from the Cafe, watching/listening to YouTube,, and reading a ton of reviews; eventually finding a blem sale from a MC sponsor. It's been a blast ever since.

Your post is right on target with what I've been thinking about - upgrading to an A oval hole with a warmer tone than my Loar. A mandolin is an investment with great returns the more you play. Why should I risk my upgrade investment solely on the reviews of others. We all have our preferences and we all have unique needs.

This time, I want to play a lot of different mandolins before I buy and see what speaks to me. Fiddler's Green is in Austin; about a 4 hour drive. That's easily a day trip or, better yet, a long weekend trip with the wife to decide what I want to spend my money on. That will be my next step in this journey. The future may hold a trip to Arizona to TMS or a trip up to Elderly, but I want better playing skills before I include airfare in a purchase.

Br1ck
Jun-02-2018, 3:08pm
Your situation is exactly what I was thinking of, and your buying your first from TMS was a solid decision, but now is the time for a road trip.

Austin will provide everything you need. You might find an instrument that works for you, but you could only spring for a used instrument. Well, you will be armed with the info you need to shop the classifieds. I guess the point is, yes, you would probably be fine buying that Collings MF online, but then one day someone might hand you a Gibson F9 and you fall for the Gibson tone. You'd have been better off finding that out up front.

LadysSolo
Jun-02-2018, 3:27pm
You are right, of course, Br1ck, but I have to say trusting TMS' opinion when I bought my first (relatively) pricy mandolins was a good decision, I haven't regretted it and with my work schedule travelling to try many mandolins would require taking vacation to go up to Elderly (the only place within any semblance of reasonable driving distance.) And some people do not work where they have that option (my work last year took away paid vacation, I can take 4 weeks' unpaid vacation - who can afford that!) Livin' the dream!

Mandobar
Jun-02-2018, 3:42pm
I live an hour from TME. It's dangerous living so close, but I feel quite lucky to be able to demo a lot of different instruments in person.

Mark Wilson
Jun-02-2018, 4:18pm
How much money goes down the drain buying new and selling to buy something else later? I think investing in some travel is worth it.It can be a lot if new. Less to a little when reselling used with no issues.

I'm all for playing first, but one store visit may not produce 'the one'. But.. you will be mandolin wiser for the effort.

pheffernan
Jun-02-2018, 5:59pm
I live an hour from TME. It's dangerous living so close, but I feel quite lucky to be able to demo a lot of different instruments in person.

Like this one? :whistling:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125249#125249

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-03-2018, 2:26am
I've made 2 x 518 mile round trips to TAMCO in Brighton by train in the past,& enjoyed every minute of it. IMHO - if you're buying an expensive instrument,it's worthwhile making the effort to ''try before you buy'' - if it's logistically practical of course - just enjoy the journey,that in itself could be very enjoyable,
Ivan

William Smith
Jun-03-2018, 3:12am
When buying a high ticket item if you can for sure get there in person, a few years ago maybe 2 I drove the what close to 5 hour drive to Bernunzio's in Rochester to play a 37 F-5 flowerpot, while it had potential with a neck set and set up. It had pretty good tone and volume but I hated the neck profile. I just didn't want to hassle with it. With what it cost, with some trading and then the neck set, I sure wasn't going to try and haggle to get it just to put more $ into it-and shave the neck down.
A year later I got a 36 F-5 fern unseen in person "mainly because I'm in PA, the fern was in Washington State" and very happy I did, perfect neck profile! Already had an idea of tone and overall voice from a youtube video-Crazy to buy unseen-maybe but can be fun if you have a good idea of what it'll be and have great communication with the owner.

Michael Neverisky
Jun-03-2018, 6:40am
Like this one? :whistling:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125249#125249

I also live within driving distance of TME and pay a visit once every month or two usually leaving with only a pack of strings or some such. I've played this mandolin as well as a torrified MFO they had in stock. My opinion of torrified tops continues to be one of disfavor. Likewise with the Martin guitars. These instruments have a nasal quality to their sound which I find annoying. I had the chance to A/B compare two Martin OM-18 Authentic guitars once, one with VTS (Martin's brand name torrification) and one without and, yes, the process has an effect but which sounds better is, I guess, subjective.

colorado_al
Jun-03-2018, 6:56am
If you're buying with an eye towards resale, buying new is a mistake. There is such a wealth of used instruments in the cafe classifieds, one can buy there and try it for weeks or months in one's own home, or band, or jam, and resell if desired for little to no loss. However, that wouldn't be possible if folks stopped buying new instruments and reselling them used.
One recommendation that I do suggest, is always bring your own mandolin with you when going to test other instruments. Play them side by side so you can hear and feel the differences, instead of trying to compare from memory.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-03-2018, 8:54am

I wish I still had the option of just driving to Mandolin Bros. :(

I'd accept the danger.

LastMohican
Jun-03-2018, 8:58am
In the past 90 days, I've bought two mandolins online (a Loar 590 and a Northfield F5S) just by doing as much research as I could and then pulling the trigger. It has completely worked out on both occaissions I am completely satisfied with both mandolins. BTW...the Loar is for sale in the classifieds at 25% off from new. Just sayin'!

Mandobar
Jun-03-2018, 9:28am
I have not played that particular torrified instrument, but own several, including the all torrified MT2 from NAMM 2018. I actually like the oval hole F, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I am not a big fan of D'Addario phosphor bronze strings, but have used Mangan monels on these and prefer the tone from those.

TME always has a good selection of mandolins (and guitars). While I am not a big fan of contemporary Martins, torrified or otherwise, I think it's every player to himself. Some people like varnish, some like lacquer, etc. I try to stay open to different wood combinations. I bought my Kimble two-point there last summer, several Girouards, a slew of Collings instruments, a Lowden, and sold a lot of instruments there over the past few years. I have had the opportunity to play Gilchrists, Campanellas, a few Nuggets, some vintage Gibsons, etc. there. Always a good selection. While I hate the traffic driving towards Boston, but it's worth the hassle.

Michael Neverisky
Jun-03-2018, 10:49am
... Play them side by side so you can hear and feel the differences, instead of trying to compare from memory.

Excellent advice! More than half the time I've done this I've left the store with the same instrument I brought in as a potential trade. Even if the instrument in the shop sounds good you may realize that you prefer the one you already own.

Michael Neverisky
Jun-03-2018, 11:06am
I have had the opportunity to play Gilchrists, Campanellas, a few Nuggets, some vintage Gibsons, etc. there. Always a good selection. .

Indeed, nothing else like it in New England. The only mandolin that I regret "thinking about" (because it was gone when I returned) was a used Campanella F style. Not the most expensive instrument in the shop, by far, but it had an exquisite sound.

CES
Jun-03-2018, 11:25am
Agree totally with trying before you buy whenever feasible, though I’ll admit most of my instruments were classifieds purchases. I’ve been fortunate in that I’ve had good interactions with sellers and all of the instruments arrived without damage. But, the education from taking the 6 hour drive to Nashville a few years ago helped guide many of those decisions...

Br1ck
Jun-03-2018, 12:38pm
I agree with bringing your instrument to compare. I had a small adjustment done on my Silverangel at Gryphon last month.nplayed it back to back with a Weber, multiple Collings, and some Northfields. It was every bit the equal of the others. Different, yes, but on a subjective not qualitative basis.

Yes. I want a brighter mandolin in addition to, not instead of.

Mark Wilson
Jun-03-2018, 12:46pm
A fun comparison after playing yourself is having someone A/B yours and the potential yours while you listen. A real ear opener

dhergert
Jun-03-2018, 1:12pm
I wish we still had something good down here in Southern CA. Since Buffalo Bros closed the closest top-line brick and mortar mandolin-specialized store is Gryphon. If I lived within 2 hours drive to Gryphon I'd be very likely to "settle" for something from them rather than flying somewhere and risking air travel with a newly purchased instrument.

Or, I keep forgetting that I just retired -- maybe it's time to plan an RV road trip to Nashville and visit some of the special stores there... Hmmmm.

Jill McAuley
Jun-03-2018, 2:30pm
There's a lot to be said for being able to try an instrument out in person - while all of my mandolin purchases have been done online, I recently purchased a wonderful 1969 Martin 00-18 guitar while I was down in Los Angeles visiting an old friend. It's a real "player's instrument" with the wear and tear to prove it, but I couldn't put it down in the shop - played it for over two hours and knew it had to come home with me (wasn't even in there looking for a guitar!). If I'd seen it listed on Reverb etc. I wouldn't really have given it a second look - it was being able to play it that sealed the deal, the neck profile is perfect for me and it sounds fantastic.

Br1ck
Jun-03-2018, 5:54pm
If I were in So. Calif. It would be hard to decide between East and North. A weekend North and you could hit Sylvan in Santa Cruz, a Weber, Pava, Ellis, Giouard, dealer, then a forty minute drive would get you to Gryphon. I've seen one or two new Webers there, but Collings is their main upscale brand but they have two or three Northfields there too. Lots of Eastmans as does Sylvan, but we're talking higher end here.Shoenberg would be a trek but get you to the N bay.

East to The Mandolin Store, but it's 100+ this time of year. Oh, but the temptation in one place is pretty darned good. Retirement will let you visit midweek, a much better experience. Call ahead for TMS, as they don't keep regular hours.

Skip Kelley
Jun-03-2018, 6:22pm
Years ago, a friend and I took a road trip to Nashville, TN. He was looking for a guitar. We had a great time! We ate at Jacks Barbecue a couple of time, went to the Station Inn, and of course went to Gruhns, and several other guitar stores. It was a blast!

Chuck Leyda
Jun-05-2018, 11:03am
I'm in the minority here but I think stretching your dollars can get you a better mandolin. I would rather have a 2k used mando from the classifieds, reverb, or TMS than a $1300 mando and $700 spent on travel.

I think we have enough info to get a great starter mandolin online. I think we have enough info to get a great intro-pro level mandolin online (some where around 2k). Any higher it gets tricky. At that point I would travel.

Of course if you're not on a strict budget and enjoy the experience, there's value there too.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-06-2018, 2:06am
From Chuck - " At that point I would travel. " Wise man - however,for some folk,$1,300 US is a fair amount of cash & they need to get it right,so a journey might be in order for them. Sometimes it's a matter of ''can i afford not to try before i buy'',
Ivan

John Uhrig
Jun-06-2018, 12:29pm
It would be great to always try before you buy, but living in the middle of nowhere can put a damper on that, and I agree...more money that can be spent on the instrument instead of travel.
My last 3 mandolins I have bought online and always from reputable dealers with a trial period.
I have never sent one back either!
Expecting my newest acquisition tomorrow...I'm sure I'll be keeping it too :))

Br1ck
Jun-06-2018, 1:02pm
In the interest of full disclosure, I've bought all three mandolins sight unseen and it's worked out, but the most money spent was $1200. I still have never seen a Silverangel in a store.

Apart from buying though, is the education. I've had my hands on many Collings, Weber, and Northfield mandolins, one Pava, only when I was in Phoenix for spring training was I able to play a Gibson. I limited myself to F 9s. They had two,nand the new one was better than the 04 they had. This is where I proved to myself I would never be quite satisfied with a master Kentucky. If I had ordered one, no doubt I'd have been thrilled, and if my Arches kit build turners out as good I'll be happy. In the end I'd have to spend extra for a Northfield knowing what I know.

These educational experiences have been invaluable in shaping my ability to evaluate a mandolin, and one should certainly take advantage of any opportunity to lay one's hand on a mandolin. I also agree that as you go up the ladder it's more important. I also hav no doubt you would be thrilled with a Collings sight unseen, but might be happier with a Gibson. As a retired person, I think I have one major (+2.5k) mandolin perchase left in me. Depending on the outcome of my build, that will likely be a Flatiron Festival or an ivory top A3. And I've yet to play a Festival.

Chuck Leyda
Jun-06-2018, 3:17pm
From Chuck - " At that point I would travel. " Wise man - however,for some folk,$1,300 US is a fair amount of cash & they need to get it right,so a journey might be in order for them. Sometimes it's a matter of ''can i afford not to try before i buy'',
Ivan

I guess that's the crux isn't it..can you get more mando for X or X-cost +knowledge that travel brings. Who knows? Fun to speculate :)

colorado_al
Jun-07-2018, 5:04pm
I don't travel for mandolins, but I do travel frequently, and I always try to find a mandolin shop or builder in or near, or on the way to where I'm staying. It is a great way to get some experience with different shops and different builders so that when a great deal on a mandolin pops up in the Cafe Classifieds, it is easy to pull the trigger and buy it.

DougC
Jun-07-2018, 5:28pm
For what it is worth. I'm 65 years old, and I've been playing guitar, fiddle, and mandolin most of my life. I give the best advice I can think of. So I suppose that you can assume others are doing the same. My point is that recommendations are, from me at least, well thought out and are based on lots of experience.

Nowadays, there are few places where you can go and compare various instruments. It was not the case 20 years ago. Now you can cruze the internet and have almost anything delivered to your door.

Would I recommend a "shopping holiday'? Yes, but not for myself and others like me. I know what I want, and I know where to find it.

However, I am going to Michigan in a few weeks and I'd certainly like to drive over to Elderly for some serious 'shopping'. And if I were 'younger' and looking for a better instrument, I'd be there for sure.

I think you can rely on Mandolin Cafe for good advice. And shop in this 'internet based' world with some confidence.

Al Trujillo
Jun-08-2018, 9:14am
My brother-in-law lives in Phoenix, which is about a 12-13 hour drive. Ever since I bought my mandolin I've really, really wanted to go see him. Oh, and TMS along the way. ;)

Jeff Mando
Jun-08-2018, 9:42am
Good point about combining visiting relatives, travel, and shopping for mandolins, guitars, etc. Mom lives about 800 miles away and I usually go by car and on the way I hit some of my favorite "old time" music stores off the beaten path. More often than not, I manage to find something that I didn't know I was in the market for........:grin:

A tip that I will share.....actually a friend suggested years ago and it works.....you need to choose a route that is at least an hour from the interstate if you want a chance to find an "old time" music or pawn shop. State routes or smaller. Places that might have been more active 50-100 years ago, but have suffered due to changes in the economy or traffic patterns. Sure, it takes longer to travel that way, but I have found many of these places DO NOT show up on google searches and most do not advertise in the Yellow Pages -- in other words, you just have to luck upon them. Some of them are in an isolated area and they serve that area and have for years. The stores near the interstate usually get all the vintage dealers stopping by on a regular basis and their prices reflect that. Some of these places I'm talking about price still used instruments as "trade-ins" rather than vintage instruments! :cool:

That being said, I haven't found anywhere with hundreds and hundreds of great mandolins, BUT, many times I have found a good mandolin amongst a wall of guitars, FWIW. ;)