PDA

View Full Version : Shipping these days?

ferrousgeek
May-18-2018, 5:07pm
What carrier are most of you using these days. I haven't had to ship a mando in a few years. I know rates have changed quite a bit. I'm more concerned with reliability than cost, but I don't mind saving a few bucks either.

MikeZito
May-18-2018, 6:53pm
FedEx, UPS and USPS are all reliable, and all are reasonably close in price.

From my personal experience, I have every reason to believe that (despite their bad reputation) the USPS does an excellent job at moving packages quickly and safely. To the contrary, people I have known who worked at UPS have told me horror stories about how packages are handled. I have had significantly less dealing with FedEx, but have not heard anything too negative about them. I would simply go with what is most convenient for you.

Roger Moss
May-18-2018, 8:11pm
Just on a personal level, I prefer USPS, but mainly because they deliver to my door whether I'm here or not. Both UPS and FedEx are rather poor around here. UPS can beat a box up pretty bad, and half the time the driver won't ring my doorbell (I'm in a security building) and I have to check the tracking literally every 15 minutes all day to catch him skipping me. I then call their 800 number and raise cain untill they call the driver and make him come back. I've already had to do that three times this year.

Mandobar
May-18-2018, 8:42pm
If USPS loses a package the claims process is long and frustrating. Their tracking system leaves much to be desired.

darrylicshon
May-18-2018, 9:14pm
I've sold and bought so many instruments I can't count, started way before eBay but didn't ship much. But since the age of Internet I have used USPS , FedEx , ups , I have at least received or package thru all three that had damage the instrument. Almost Everytime the box isn't damage bad , but the reason the instrument I received was damaged was due to bad packing. I still use all three

LadysSolo
May-18-2018, 9:19pm
I prefer USPS and FedEx based on recent experience (delivery) I shipped a guitar USPS about a year ago without a problem. I recently (last month) purchased a guitar, the seller shipped UPS, and my UPS driver dumped the guitar in the middle of my driveway(!?!?) Also did the same with a shipment of garden plants about a week later. On the other hand, FedEx and USPS walk the few extra steps to my front porch and leave items by the door. I will say this is a recent development by the UPS driver, never used to be such a jerk.

Northwest Steve
May-18-2018, 9:51pm
Fedex. USPS does not really seem to want that large of a package and UPS is more expensive.

Roger Adams
May-18-2018, 10:34pm
I always ship via USPS. Price is as good or better in most cases than FedEx or UPS, and there seems to be less drama involved! ;)

ajh
May-18-2018, 10:53pm
Have come to use USPS all the time. Best prices, good tracking and never an issue with handling. At least twenty transactions coming and going. Just pack well. Double box and make sure the entire neck is supported securely. I reuse old popcorn and medium packed newspapers in between. Maybe I have been lucky.

Folkmusician.com
May-19-2018, 9:22am
USPS: by far the least damage to packages. Worst tracking and most lost packages.

UPS and FedEx are about equal. Most issues seem to be on a regional basis, so any given area, one or the other could have an advantage. It is a little easier to deal with insurance claims through UPS.

J-45er
May-20-2018, 1:48pm
My experiences with USPS and FedEx Ground within the last two weeks.

Received a rather expensive 20-year-old guitar via USPS. It was shipped from east coast to west coast. Not a mark or dent on the box. Pretty impressive. And I am sure it was shipped the cheapest way you could ship. Only drawbacks are that the amount of insurance USPS allows is limited and that the tracking detail during trip was sketchy (showed only where it was dropped off and where it will be delivered).

Shipped an electric guitar via FedEx Ground/Home Delivery about 300 miles. Delivered the next day. More tracking detail. Same as usual. Always liked FedEx's consistency. Easy drop off.

I did notice that Ebay seems to encourage shipping by USPS. I had to do some clicking to get my Ebay listing to use/show FedEx Ground/Home Delivery. (I like using FedEx Ground because I don't have to stand in a long post office line.)

Never tried to ship something valuable via UPS. Probably never will.

Jack Roberts
May-20-2018, 2:11pm
Fedex for convenience. USPS requires waiting in a line. UPS is OK. If you are in the US, stay away from DHL: there is no support if anything goes wrong.

dan in va
May-20-2018, 3:12pm
USPS has become the better luck of the draw shipper for me.

jesserules
May-20-2018, 3:35pm
I used to support USPS, but I recently bought a quite expensive (for me anyhow) instrument and paid for Priority shipping. Priority took five days from California to Chicago, and no tracking information at all except five days of "In transit to next destination".

Roger Moss
May-20-2018, 4:57pm
Fedex for convenience. USPS requires waiting in a line. UPS is OK. If you are in the US, stay away from DHL: there is no support if anything goes wrong.

All my experiences with DHL is that they are complete dreck. Shipping times measured in weeks not days. They often partner with USPS which delays delivery more days. Usually quicker to go pick it up in person.

Jeff Mando
May-20-2018, 8:52pm
Honestly, they are all about the same with their own various annoying quirks. Shipping is a necessary evil, if you are doing business online. Great service and cheap from FedEx Ground or USPS Priority IF you are in the same state or an adjoining state. Many times USPS Priority is only a dollar or so more than USPS Ground Service. USPS has a weird "balloon charge" which means your box is "too light" for the size of the box, so they measure the dimensions of the box and calculate an upcharge, sometimes $20 bucks or more -- this often happens when sending an acoustic instrument that does not have a hardshell case. IT SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING that good packing is your best insurance -- double boxing, peanuts, bubble, etc -- seem expensive to purchase, but make packing easier and safer. Another option if you are sending a $20K instrument to a location that is less than an 8 hour drive is just to drive it yourself. The shipping will cost as much as the gas -- probably more with insurance -- and you can hand deliver it. I understand this wouldn't be an option for people with "real" jobs, of course. I also add the packing time into the equation. It takes me at least an hour to pack an instrument properly, if I have all the materials around, sometimes longer. An amp or odd-shaped instrument might take me 2 hours or more.

Dacraw54
May-20-2018, 9:00pm
If USPS loses a package the claims process is long and frustrating. Their tracking system leaves much to be desired.

USPS are abysmal when it comes to tracking and a total disaster with claims. I am currently awaiting a USPS delivery that’s not only overdue but the tracking info is non-existent. I wouldn’t like to be in the Sellers shoes trying to get them to honor his insurance. In my experience they deny claims out of hand and then threaten the sender with fraud if they try to appeal - even on an expensive 2day Air when the instrument arrived in a damaged box with a broken neck.

I only use FedEx these days, UPS boxes arrive wiith too many marks and tears on them.

BrianWilliam
May-23-2018, 12:37am
FedEx is my fav but their "let us pack it for you" service has two strikes from me due to minimal packing effort, contents sliding around, and boxes smashed. I've had good luck so far, but I won't give them another chance.

colorado_al
May-23-2018, 1:06am
I usually do FedEx ground. Pricing is better than UPS and they are more careful with packages.
USPS claims is a pain.