PDA

View Full Version : Waltersdorf Mandolin?

Willie Poole
May-09-2018, 8:57am
I have a 1967 F style mandolin made by David Waltersdorf in Hanover Pa. I bought it used from a friend, it has a nice tone but not as loud as I would like it to be, the previous owner did have it refinished but Lord only knows what was put on it, I can`t tell what it is, I have been slowly taking some of the top finish off by using some fine steel wool and each time it seems to improve the loudness and the tone but I don`t want to take too much off...I did have a new finger board installed because the fret spacing on it originally was as exact, the finger board came from Gibson already slotted and now the intonation is as perfect as can be...

I did get an e mail from his son and he has #1 that his dad built...Mine is #11....I`m just wondering if anyone else also has a Waltersdorf mandolin, he also built some very fine fiddles....I had thought about selling it but with such an unknown builder I don`t believe it would bring as much as I paid for it 30 years ago which was $900...It will make a good wall hanger if I can`t sell it...:))

Willie

MikeEdgerton
May-09-2018, 9:51am
Here (https://www.google.com/search?q=Waltersdorf+site%3Amandolincafe.com&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS709US709&oq=Waltersdorf+site%3Amandolincafe.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.8822j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) is every thread on the Cafe with the word Waltersdorf in it. Unless they were posted by you there seem to be a few. Post a picture, I'd like to see it.