May-04-2018, 12:13pm
NFI

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Orpheum/A-Style-Mandolin.gc

MikeZito
May-04-2018, 12:18pm
This is a Strad-O-Lin version?

Seter
May-04-2018, 12:27pm
I noticed that one the other day, the stated fair condition gave me pause but it looks pretty good (for a ~70 year old instrument) in the photos and the quality classifications are always arbitrary.

MikeEdgerton
May-04-2018, 12:30pm
This is a Strad-O-Lin version?

Well, yes. And it has the more desirable Waverly Cloud Tailpiece. But, who am I to tell you'all what a good deal is. Why didn't I just buy it? I have way too many instruments right now.

Those appear to be WWII era Kluson tuners on this Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin as well.

MikeZito
May-04-2018, 1:05pm
I have way too many instruments . . .

As the robot used to say in the TV show 'Lost In Space' . . . . "Does not compute, does not compute!"

p.s. - Just to clarify: I never have 'too many instruments' . . . I just have 'not enough money'.

Dave Sheets
May-04-2018, 1:09pm
I have a stradolin which looks pretty much identical to this, except for replaced tuners and the name. Mine was real cheap, more battered than the one in this ad, and is a fun instrument at the price I paid, about $100. NFI.

Eric Platt
May-04-2018, 1:15pm
And - Guitar Center has free shipping on used instruments right now.

Like Mike I have too many mandolins right now. Can't justify this.

MikeEdgerton
May-04-2018, 1:18pm
Not quite right. The free shipping is on used instruments over $499.00 I think.

Yup, $499.00 and up is free.

Darren Bailey
May-04-2018, 1:19pm
If they posted to the UK I'd have bought it.

mrmando
May-04-2018, 2:13pm
Much more intrigued by this one.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Store-Used/Used-R-L-GIVENS-A4-Natural-Mandolin.gc

MikeEdgerton
May-04-2018, 2:15pm
Yeah, but it isn't $250.00. If it was I would have bought that one :cool:

I will note that shipping should be free on the Givens.

jaycat
May-04-2018, 2:17pm
If it were Excellent Minus, I might go for it.

MikeEdgerton
May-04-2018, 2:21pm
Is that a John Hamlett tailpiece on the Givens?

Josh Levine
May-04-2018, 2:55pm
You guys are a bad influence...

Josh Levine
May-04-2018, 3:18pm
Is that a John Hamlett tailpiece on the Givens?
I’ll tell you in a few days...

Josh Levine
May-11-2018, 1:51pm
So, just an update. The mandolin arrived. It is in fine shape. There are some pick scratches on the top, and that work area where the pick guard would be, but other than that it is very clean. Great feeling neck on it. Frets are in great shape. The action was way too low, so it was buzzing, but I adjusted the bridge and now the action is great. great tone. I am excited to get to know this mandolin to see what it is all about. And yup it is a Hamlett tail piece. I may swap it for a James at some point, as it looks kind of challenging to string up the Hamlett. Pretty, though. Thanks MrMando for pointing that out... Sorry if I took from under your fingers. If you are every down in PDX hit me up and you can see what you missed out on...

MikeEdgerton
May-11-2018, 2:48pm
It looks like somebody got the Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin as well.

yankees1
May-11-2018, 3:01pm
This ad should be in the classified section shouldn't it ? :)