PDA

View Full Version : Beginner mandolin purchase. Eastman or the Loar??

Mbdeadhead
May-01-2018, 7:21pm
I am buying my first mandolin this week and would like to know some input. I am either buying the Loar LM310 or the Eastman MD315 for $250 more. Is the Eastman worth it to spend the $250 more? Thanks in advance!

KoalaBear
May-01-2018, 7:37pm
I am buying my first mandolin this week and would like to know some input. I am either buying the Loar LM310 or the Eastman MD315 for $250 more. Is the Eastman worth it to spend the $250 more? Thanks in advance!

Any of the Eastman offer good quality.My current Mando is a Kentucky KM 150 from
www.zenithmusic.com
my next purchase in August will be the Eastman MD 515.I have played the 315 and it is worth the purchase.Loar are good but for design and sound my suggestion is Eastman.

Tan,GeoMus.

www.reverbnation.com/gaetanobevilacqua

CES
May-01-2018, 8:21pm
IMO, yes, the Eastman is worth the extra cost. I bought a 315 on clearance at a big box store a couple of years ago to use as a “beater,” but it’s a very good mandolin. I consistently receive compliments on its tone from both musicians and non-musicians alike. Its tone is not as complex as my Silverangel or Skip Kelley, and it isn’t quite as good as a Collings MT I owned for a few months, but it’s in the ballpark, and for substantially less than an MT. It’s tone is in the MT’s modern spectrum. The tuners, tailpiece, and bridge are cost saving measures but are functional, and I haven’t felt compelled to upgrade them yet. Even though it’s my beater, I realize what a good box/neck I’ve got and have taken very good care of it. I would prefer the nut width to be 1 and 1/8 or 1 and 3/16 (it’s a little narrower than 1 and 1/8), but I adjust to it after a few minutes without any real issues. I have large hands but relatively skinny fingers; I can see how someone who wears a size 15 ring could have issues with the narrower string spacing. I also played a LM 310 just last week at Guitar Center that was surprisingly well set up, but the tone couldn’t touch my Eastman’s. The Eastman is all hand carved solid spruce and maple, and the talent of the luthiers in mine and superior quality are evident. The finish is also superior to The Loar’s.

If a Honey Creek is all you can truly afford, buy it from a Cafe sponsor who will deliver it set up to sound and play its best. If you can afford the Eastman, it’s no contest, IMHO.

As referenced above, Kentucky’s KM 150 is also an exceptionally well made entry level mando. No scroll, but hand carved all solid spruce/maple. If I were just starting out I’d go with an Eastman 305 or Kentucky KM 150, with the Eastman 315 winning if I just had to have the scroll...

Mbdeadhead
May-01-2018, 8:40pm
Thanks for the input! I think I’m certainly going to spend the extra money on the Eastman this weekend!

Alex Orr
May-01-2018, 9:42pm
Eastman. I've never played a The Loar that I thought sounded very good.

Jill McAuley
May-01-2018, 11:41pm
Eastman all the way - there have been some threads here regarding how the recent Loars are not as good as they used to be due to the company changing it's focus. I've played lots of Eastmans - a lot of bang for the buck, you won't be disappointed and it will have decent resale value and interest from buyers if and when you decide to move up the mandolin food chain.

Em Tee
May-02-2018, 9:17am
+1 eastman

Br1ck
May-02-2018, 12:49pm
I'll have to add. +1 for Eastman too. The thing is, for a beginner, there is no way for you to truly evaluate a mandolin, so buying a safe choice is the way to go. Buy from a sponsor and assure you get a nice setup. Setup is even more important than the mandolin for someone new to this game.

lflngpicker
May-02-2018, 2:45pm
Yes, indeed. I agree with all above. The Loar LM400 would be all solid, as would the 520, but the Eastman MD315 gets really strong reviews on this forum. All solid, hand carved and consistent quality. The Loar you speak of will not have the tone due to the veneer though it is well constructed. If you go Loar, go all solid spruce and maple.

Em Tee
May-02-2018, 3:05pm
I'd get an eastman 305. You get more bang for your buck with an A style. If you decide you like playing mandolin, it'll give you a head start on saving up for your upgrade in a year or two. Mandolin Acquiry Syndrome is real.

Mbdeadhead
May-02-2018, 3:42pm
I am able to get the Eastman md315 for $550 in mint condition which I think is a great deal. I can get a brand new Loar lm310 from guitar center for $300. My main question is if I might as well get the Eastman which I’m almost certain will be my decision as long as everything is good when I go to check it out

mee
May-02-2018, 4:24pm
Eastman :mandosmiley:

Em Tee
May-02-2018, 4:42pm
I am able to get the Eastman md315 for $550 in mint condition which I think is a great deal. I can get a brand new Loar lm310 from guitar center for $300. My main question is if I might as well get the Eastman which I’m almost certain will be my decision as long as everything is good when I go to check it out

Post up photos when you pick up the 315!

Charles E.
May-02-2018, 6:35pm
Eastman all the way, have fun.

Jmal
May-02-2018, 11:21pm
I recently bought an Eastman MD305, and it is pretty good for the money. I'm new to mandolin, but I have played guitar for over 30 years, so I know what a decent instrument feels and sounds like. The Eastman is the first budget level mandolin I have tried that I think actually plays and sounds good for the money. It's much better than the "The Loar" that I played.

Mbdeadhead
May-03-2018, 4:59am
Post up photos when you pick up the 315! Will do!

Eric Platt
May-03-2018, 5:12am
Late to the party, but, yup, Eastman. Had a the Loar (LM-220). Gave it away. It's good, but I prefer the sound and playability of Eastman.

You'll be happy with your choice.

lflngpicker
May-03-2018, 6:42am
Late to the party, but, yup, Eastman. Had a the Loar (LM-220). Gave it away. It's good, but I prefer the sound and playability of Eastman.

You'll be happy with your choice.

Eric, Didn't you recently ad the 1910 Gibson A? How do you like it? Or am I mixed up? If not, congrats. :mandosmiley: