PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Dallas...

Urban_Monk
Apr-29-2018, 7:33pm
Hey all. Didn't see a new members area so, just wanted to jump in and say hi. I'm new to Mandolins... messed around with guitar for a while but was too busy back then.
Was watching a movie, ( Hostiles ) and heard a haunting mandolin tune ( How shall a sparrow fly )... youtubed the song and got sucked into the allure of this instrument.

I bought one to get started on... The Loar 310F. I know, not the best but to me feels solid and sounds great. Anyway... I look forward to learning from you all.

FredK
Apr-29-2018, 8:05pm
Welcome to the Café, Urban Monk. Your thread header caught my attention since I live in the DFW area. This is a great place to learn and get advice. Everyone is cordial and helpful. I have the cousin to your 310F, The Loar 520 which I dearly love. It's not a matter of being the best but, rather, that it's the one you enjoy playing. Check out the different Groups here in the Café. I'm sure you'll find one that suits your taste. I recommend the Newbies since you have just started. Happy Mandolining!

MikeZito
Apr-29-2018, 8:29pm
Welcome aboard!

FYI - there is a Newbies group here at the Cafe - just go to the 'Group Tools' drop-down menu near the upper right side of the page, scroll to the bottom and hit 'Subscribe To This Group'.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=76

Sherry Cadenhead
Apr-29-2018, 10:03pm
I live in the Dallas area also. Ditto as to the Newbies group. Oh, and welcome to the Cafe!

Caleb
Apr-29-2018, 11:04pm
Greetings from HEB (Hurst/Euless/Bedford for you non-DFW folk).

lflngpicker
Apr-29-2018, 11:07pm
Urban_Monk, Welcome to the Cafe! Thanks for introducing yourself. Let us know what we can do.

mee
Apr-30-2018, 6:18am
Welcome! And happy pickin! :mandosmiley:

William Smith
Apr-30-2018, 8:07am
Welcome to the MADNESS!

LastMohican
Apr-30-2018, 8:45am
Lived in DFW for 18 years, the last 8 in Flower Mound. Still miss it. I just recently purchased a Loar 590 and I'm really pleased with it. Trying to put the time in! Welcome!

HonketyHank
Apr-30-2018, 9:05am
Welcome to the cafe. My first real (non-banjo) mandolin was a The Loar. A good choice.

Denny Gies
Apr-30-2018, 9:17am
Welcome to our wild, wacky world. You are in for more joy. fun, sore fingers and frustration than you thought you signed up for. The best thing is that, with practice, this crazy instrument can be mastered. Good luck.

Willie Poole
Apr-30-2018, 10:05am
Welcome aboard....I lived in Texas for a few years and only met one Texan that I didn`t like, he was my boss...

Watch out for MAS...

Willie

Randi Gormley
May-01-2018, 6:00pm
welcome to the cafe!