PDA

View Full Version : Case suggestions for vintage Gibson A

Eric Platt
Apr-25-2018, 5:41am
Have another vintage oval hole Gibson heading my way. Doesn't have a case. I have some cases. Including a few gig bags and a Road Runner ABS that gets used for my A Jr when it goes out.

Obviously, I can just use one of those for the new one. But what fun is that? Am thinking of either getting a Reunion Blues tenor uke bag or one of the lightweight foam cases out there. Am unsure if a short neck Gibson will fit in the latter. And there are a number of different ones.

So am asking for advice - do folks have a favorite lightweight case for a short neck vintage oval hole Gibson? Don't want to hear about what fits a Collings, Pava, or others please. Unless you're sure it will fit a short neck Gibson.

Thanks in advance.

Ray(T)
Apr-25-2018, 6:39am
This question has been previously discussed to death. The body of an old Gibson A is slightly bigger than that of a modern A so it won't fit some cases. I use an Eastman fibreglass case - perferct fit. Gig bags aren't so critical and the lightweight foam ones may also have sufficient "give" to accommodate one.

fatt-dad
Apr-25-2018, 6:53am
mine fits into a standard TKL a-body case.

f-d

pops1
Apr-25-2018, 8:03am
Have mine in the same as fatt-dad, TKL. I also bought a couple really cheap, $40, cases on fleabay that fit the old Gibson's nicely. I don't remember the name tho, sorry.

Ray(T)
Apr-25-2018, 10:26am
I have a rectangular TKL which fits both A and F styles but it won't fit either of my teens and twenties Gibson As. Caveat emptor.

Jim Garber
Apr-25-2018, 12:02pm
I am with Fatt-Dad and pops1: I go with the TKL A-shaped case, no problem. Good solid case with firm latches.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-25-2018, 12:13pm
I am with Fatt-Dad and pops1: I go with the TKL A-shaped case, no problem. Good solid case with firm latches.

Oh for the days when you could buy that $25.00 Musicians Friend case that was perfect. Then they went and changed the design.

Jim Garber
Apr-25-2018, 1:11pm
I have a few of those MF cases but prefer the TKL for the better ones. It has a nice arch to it that the MF does not.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-25-2018, 1:12pm
Yes, but I'm sure it wasn't $25.00 :cool:

Eric Platt
Apr-25-2018, 2:27pm
Thanks for the advice so far. Am looking specifically for either a foam case or gigbag like the Reunion Blues Continental.

Ray(T)
Apr-26-2018, 3:14am
Those who use them seem to swear by the Travellite but we don't see them in the UK. The only time I can recall seeing one is on an internal flight in New Zealand when I crossed paths with Tim O'Brien. I've never been a fan of gig bags.

If price is an issue for you, bear in mind that a good cae will last for many years. My 42 year old Calton guitar case is still going strong. It's cost me less than £2 a year so far!

MikeEdgerton
Apr-26-2018, 1:58pm
If you're looking for a bag check out tennis racket covers. I don't know if they make them padded or not.

Eric Platt
Apr-26-2018, 7:33pm
Ended up getting the Reunion Blues Continental tenor ukulele bag. A coupon and good price on eBay swayed me. Will still use my Road Runner for shows. The gigbag will make carrying 3 instruments at festivals easier. (Guitar, mandolin, octave mandolin).

Eric Platt
May-01-2018, 2:03pm
And a follow up - bag arrived yesterday. It fits my oval hole Gibson like it was designed for it. Really nice. A good compromise between the foam cases and a regular gigbag. Very happy. Especially for the price.

JeffD
May-01-2018, 2:19pm
You are going to love that Reuinion Blues Continental, my prediction. It is a good strong case that will protect the instrument from everything likely to happen, and they they are so amazingly light.

I might not use one on a mandolin I had to check like airline luggage. It would probably be just fine, but that is the only case i would be nervous with a Continental.

Ray(T)
May-01-2018, 2:44pm
And a follow up - bag arrived yesterday. It fits my oval hole Gibson like it was designed for it. Really nice. A good compromise between the foam cases and a regular gigbag. Very happy. Especially for the price.

Have you tried sitting on it? I remember spending much of the 1976 Cambridge folk fsetival sitting on my then new Calton Guitar case.

mandroid
May-01-2018, 6:03pm
I'm just using the original one, wooden , It came with , I got a DryBag daypach from REI 30 years ago I slip it into, when I go Out

the latest FG Eastman seems versatile A4/F4 & A& F 5 both ought to fit..

but for sitting on it, go to Pegasus, he has a FG A Case, Mold,
and I expect, will move the blocks and cradle around inside to fit your needs..

Eric Platt
May-02-2018, 7:46pm
Thanks for all the advice. First off, am personally against sitting on cases. Unless it's an Anvil. Then that might work. Otherwise, forget it. Seen too many instruments break that way over the years.

Also, I just have a thing against spending more for a case than any instrument that would travel inside is worth.

mandroid
May-04-2018, 3:58pm
Sitting on a heavy Fiber glass Calton or Pegasus, on edge, is like sitting on your Chevy Corvette.

V70416
May-09-2018, 10:48am
RE:triple tennis raquet bags;they make nice case covers. I have one to protect my Pegasus cases.
Usually have good carry straps too.

Yeah,TKL for my old teens Gibsons. Mine are all pretty old;still in good shape.

mandroid
May-12-2018, 11:01am
Classifieds have people selling original cases without the mandolin.., keep an eye on them.