PDA

View Full Version : NS Micro Tuner

Roger Moss
Apr-08-2018, 5:56am
Has anybody here tried out a d'Addario NS Micro clip on tuner. They look pretty slick and don't have to be removed. Are they fairly accurate? Do they get in the eay at all? Opinions please.

Shelagh Moore
Apr-08-2018, 6:02am
I use one and am happy with it on all counts.

Zach Wilson
Apr-08-2018, 6:09am
I keep one on all my Mandolins, guitars, and basses. I like them. Simple, reliable, and small.

John Kelly
Apr-08-2018, 6:10am
I too have this tuner and find it very effective.

Ron McMillan
Apr-08-2018, 7:41am
As with the others who have chimed in, I am a big fan of the Micro. Accurate enough for my needs, and never in the way, so it never needs taking off and putting back on again.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2018, 7:56am
They are a perennial Cafe favorite it seems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NS+Micro+Tuner+site%3Amandolincafe.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Paul Busman
Apr-08-2018, 8:58am
I have three which live pretty much permanently on their instruments. They're darn near invisible from up front if that matters to you. Accurate enough for my ears.

Phil Goodson
Apr-08-2018, 9:15am
They work very well. May cause a little damage to finish if left on. This is true of pretty much every tuner though.

UsuallyPickin
Apr-08-2018, 9:23am
Yes they work well I have one on a guitar. In truth I prefer a slightly larger and adjustable angle readout. R/

Northwest Steve
Apr-08-2018, 9:34am
I have one on two mandolins and would not look to anything else if I need another. Display is plenty big, does not look like a Xmas ornament or flip phone on the end of you instrument, battery seems to last quite a while (turns off automatically) seems accurate. The only thing I don't like is sometimes when you are close to being tuned it switched back and forth and is confusing as to being sharp or flat, but that is minor.

Not sure if they will cause more damage to am instrument by leaving the tuner on or by using one that you put on and take off every time you take it out of the case?

Roger Moss
Apr-08-2018, 1:34pm
Thanks for the opinions. I'm looking for a tuner that has acceptable accuracy and won't get knocked off the headstock easily and I can just leave on and not have to bother with. Sounds like this is worth checking out.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2018, 1:38pm
I don't know if I would leave any tuner on a headstock all the time.

samlyman
Apr-08-2018, 3:16pm
Count me in for 3... I do try to remember to remove them before the mandos go back in the case.

Jesse Kinman
Apr-08-2018, 5:39pm
I have bought at least 6 total, have one on each my mandolin, guitar, and my wife’s banjo, and have given away a few. Pretty good little tuner, works plenty accurate for me, and is very inconspicuous. Here’s where I keep it on my mandolin, as well as the same place on my guitar. That way my hand doesn’t block my view when tuning, and it’s only just a small tab visible from the front.

Jim Garber
Apr-08-2018, 6:38pm
I have one each of the universal (so I can clip it on the scroll headstock of my Lyon & Healy); the violin version that clips on the upper bass bout of the violin; a standard headstock clip-on one; and the guitar-soundhole version that lives inside my Huss & Dalton. The last one is the only one I keep permanently on the instrument. I just don't trust any plastic clip to not mess up the finish of my instruments.

DHopkins
Apr-08-2018, 7:35pm
I've compared them with Intellitouch and Peterson and they're right up there with them.

Dave Greenspoon
Apr-08-2018, 8:14pm
I've had one living on my Rigel for years now.

mandobassman
Apr-08-2018, 8:34pm
Thanks for the opinions. I'm looking for a tuner that has acceptable accuracy and won't get knocked off the headstock easily and I can just leave on and not have to bother with. Sounds like this is worth checking out.

Yes, it's a good one. I have used several different tuners and although the Snark has been a bit of a favorite here, I never liked them at all. I think the Micro is much better. As accurate as the Snark, if not more so. I have one on my mandolin and one on my double bass. They have been on each instrument for a year now using the original batteries. I would have changed batteries in the Snark 3 or 4 times by now.

mandobassman
Apr-08-2018, 8:41pm
Count me in for 3... I do try to remember to remove them before the mandos go back in the case.

Just curious, why do you remove them? That's one of the major benefits of the micro is the ability to leave them on all the time.

Mark Wilson
Apr-08-2018, 9:10pm
How is the NS micro display outdoors in sunlight?

Roger Moss
Apr-08-2018, 9:12pm
I have one each of the universal (so I can clip it on the scroll headstock of my Lyon & Healy); the violin version that clips on the upper bass bout of the violin; a standard headstock clip-on one; and the guitar-soundhole version that lives inside my Huss & Dalton. The last one is the only one I keep permanently on the instrument. I just don't trust any plastic clip to not mess up the finish of my instruments.

Did you ever try the violin version on the body of a mandolin? I'm curious whether the clamp is big enough to fit on one.

Bunnyf
Apr-08-2018, 9:15pm
Mandobassman, folks usually remove them because the plastic clip in contact with the intrument over time gives them concern about possible effects on the finish. I have them on six different instruments for years though and have had no finish issues. I have lost a few probably due to the fact that the clip release is on the side of the tuner and can probably loosen a bit if it jostles a little against the inside of the case. Good idea to give the tuner a little squeeze when you first uncase your instrument, so that you know it's on securely. On one instrument my case is a snug fit and placement is a bit of an issue. Generally though, I can leave them on most of my instruments while in their case and they function well.

dhergert
Apr-08-2018, 9:24pm
I have one of these on each of my main playing instruments, including my two F-style mandolins, my 3 main-playing banjos, my Dobro and my upright bass. On my three main playing banjos I've created a mounting system to mount them on the top side of the rim so I can check tuning easily anytime I want. On the other instruments I use the standard peghead mount, which works great.

The tuners are accurate, fast, feature rich and easy to work without changing A440 accidentally. It even works for my low E on my upright bass, for which I mount the tuner on the tailpiece. I really haven't used the metronome feature but it works for those who want to use it.

samlyman
Apr-08-2018, 11:57pm
Just curious, why do you remove them? That's one of the major benefits of the micro is the ability to leave them on all the time.

I remove them because I noticed some marring of the varnish on my Collings where the tuner contacts the headstock.

Drew Egerton
Apr-09-2018, 8:12am
I had one and liked it but it was causing a buzz if left on during playing. I wound up losing it somewhere after switching it to a bass.
I have the soundhole clip on version on my guitar and love it.

Zach Wilson
Apr-09-2018, 9:50am
I had one and liked it but it was causing a buzz if left on during playing. I wound up losing it somewhere after switching it to a bass.
I have the soundhole clip on version on my guitar and love it.

It took me a couple trys to find a spot where the Micro wasn't creating a tiny buzz. I repositioned it and it's been fine ever since. I leave mine attached all the time... no finish issues yet (fingers crossed).

Eric Platt
Apr-09-2018, 10:03am
I switch back and forth on these. They are small and light, but usually can't find a spot I like on the headstock. Plus, I always seem to have a problem seeing it in bright light.

That said, am trying it on my Eastman octave. Will see how it behaves at a jam tonight.

Otherwise really like the cheap D'addario tuner with the big display. Also been using the Polytune and Korg Sledgehammer quite a bit.

Graham Vest
Apr-10-2018, 3:33pm
I like them and use them on mandos, guitars and resonators. They aren't great in sunlight. I did get a polytune for my main mandolin, as it seems better during outdoor, sunny gigs.

Phil Goodson
Apr-10-2018, 3:58pm
I like them and use them on mandos, guitars and resonators. They aren't great in sunlight. I did get a polytune for my main mandolin, as it seems better during outdoor, sunny gigs.

Since you brought it up, I'll just mention that Sweetwater carries a "Unitune" (for $30) which is the same as the Polytune ($50) but without the multiple string function. NFI

I have used a NS Micro Tuner on my upright bass for over 3 years and it works well attached to the bridge also.