PDA

View Full Version : Some days before she must be definitively closed

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 5:59am
Hello all,
Here are some pictures ( not very good quality) of the #5 , I'm building.
The top and back will exceed from the rim like a fiddle and I've made a wood binding also like a fiddle. (ebony ,pear tree, ebony) . Never more pear tree , cause too much hard and breaking .
F holes are also like (not finished) fiddle holes , or also like stradolin.
European spruce from France for the top .

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 6:02am
The peghead,
burr walnut for the most part , ebony veined in the center

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 6:03am
one more

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 6:05am
one again
I've tryed to find a wood with large grain to the edge and more tightened in the middle , not very visible here .

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 6:06am
one another

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 6:07am
again

french guy
Mar-11-2004, 6:08am
The last

8ch(pl)
Mar-11-2004, 7:25am
Ca sera une mandoline formidable. Felicitations. J'aim beaucoup les details comme violin.

layers5
Mar-11-2004, 7:45am
French guy, that is a nice-looking mandolin! I've often thought of using violin-style edges on a mandolin and it's nice to see an example. Binding stringed instruments is a factory technique it seems to me; the violin-family edge treatment comes from the era of small shop production.

Larry

JDARTGOD
Mar-11-2004, 12:19pm
Can't wait to see the finished product. Really looks sweet.

mandoryan
Mar-11-2004, 1:45pm
Very cool French Guy. I really like the violin like sides and the purfling around the edge. It's very cool to see people experimenting with designs. Refreshing I should say. Great job...

Bluemando
Mar-12-2004, 5:17am
looks great french guy, how long have you been working on this one?

french guy
Mar-12-2004, 5:49am
Thanks all for kind words ,
Bluemando , I not know exactly the time passed on , cause I work sometime a evening on , sometime just 1 hour , or an entire rainy day , & soo on , maybe less than 100 hours .

levin4now
Mar-12-2004, 10:16pm
Tres bien french guy. Je pense que ca mandolin est formidable!

Very nice mandolin. I like that tight grain - wider grain transition. The picture shows it nicely. Everything quite unique and wonderful (the fretboard inlays, peghead, shape, etc..I really like the inlay on the 'face' of the mandolin.

(sorry for the French - only took it through high school in Canada)

french guy
Mar-13-2004, 8:01am
Thanks Alan
Don't worry for your french language , mandolincafe is an US site , english language is the most appropriate , and easy for
every body , but I appreciate your effort .
Yesterday evening I 've finish the back ticknessing and glued
the label to the back .
Today I will trying to regularize the size of F holes to each other . Maybe in the middle of next week , the body will be closed. Rest for me to make the tailpiece with a piece of brass, make the bridge with a piece of ebony and after be
very exited to string up in the white. Always a pure emotion.

John Zimm
Mar-16-2004, 9:36am
Tres bien monsieur homme de francais. Elle est tres belle. J'espere que vous nous donnerez beaucoup de photos quand vous est fini avec ca mandolin.

I hope I said that right. Good job, that is really beautiful.

-John.

phynie
Apr-04-2004, 1:22pm
Hey french guy, I noticed your last name and had a question. Are you related to the luthier Rene Francois Lacote who built guitars for Sor? He was based in paris in the early 1800's. He was also the top choice builder for Sor, one of the finest guitarists to ever live. Just curious to see if this beautiful work is in your blood.

Kbone
Apr-04-2004, 6:58pm
Nice work..

french guy
Apr-05-2004, 1:38am
Hey phynie , I don't think Mr Rene Lacote , this great luhier in a past century is in my family. Someone have ever ask me the same question and , one time ,when I show several of my mandos to a music shop in my city ,the music seller ask me to come back again the day after because he have a little surprise for me. So the next day I went to the music shop and he show and let me play to a Lacote Guitar . This lucky man have a old and beautiful guitar made by this luthier from Paris.
My family was farmers in Burgundy from a very long time , nobody from Paris.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jan-29-2005, 5:01pm
hey all, i was trooling through past pages and found this one. are there any finished pictures? i love the shape and the binding idea. that headstock just made my day as well, great designs.

baron

Bill Snyder
Jan-29-2005, 8:21pm
Look here. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=17346;hl=french+and+gu y)

french guy
Jan-30-2005, 7:09am
PhishPhan , curious
I'm happy to see this topic " coming back to the surface "
Just to say you can also go on my website , she is pictured
and specially in the instrument for sale section.
http://www.mandoline.fr.st

mando bandage
Jan-30-2005, 7:35am
I hope I said that right.

Reminds me of a line from a John Prine song about overcoming a language barrier.

R

Skip Kelley
Jan-30-2005, 10:11am
Nice job!! Excellent neck joint, real tight!!