PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting a mandolin

rimn
Jul-12-2005, 10:17am
I going to purchase a bluegrass mandolin in the $3,500 range. I have narrowed it down to a Collins MF-F, Gibson F-9,and a Stiver F. Can someone who has played these mandolins give me some advise. They all seem to be good instruments.

Frank Russell
Jul-12-2005, 10:59am
Rim - I've only played a few Stivers, and there are some big Stiver fans here, so I'll let them chime in on those. I have owned a Collings MF and a Gibson F9, and of the two, I wish I hadn't sold that Collings. They are outstandingly consistent, with playability that I've seen in few other mandolins. A bit plain looking, but big volume and tone right out of the box. Frank

fatt-dad
Jul-12-2005, 11:33am
I've played a Stiver F and I own a Stiver A. Love them! Also, Lou Stiver is a real man, who does great work and has done several repairs for me (on some of my other mandolins).

f-d

tiltman
Jul-12-2005, 11:48am
I had an F-9 for 2 years and absolutely loved it. Great bluegrass mandolin.
People will talk about finish issues - it's not well done under the scroll or under the fingerboard extension - to tell you the truth I hadn't even noticed those things until I heard about it here! To me it's all about the tone.
Play as many of these mandos as you can and buy the one that sounds best to you.
Kirk

swampstomper
Jul-12-2005, 12:02pm
Don't forget to look at Lebeda F's in this price range. They are of the highest-quality craftsmanship and represent tremendous value for money. But, I second the advice to try out mandos for yourself. You don't say where you are located.

Doug Edwards
Jul-12-2005, 3:42pm
All three are good choices. I've played all three and lean toward the Stiver. Each to his own. I liked the V neck on the Stiver I played, they all sounded good.

mandoman15
Jul-14-2005, 1:20pm
at that price, you could look into having someone build for you. check out the buildes section, theres some very talented luthiers that arent charging tooo much for alot...

jim simpson
Jul-14-2005, 5:00pm
"..going to purchase a bluegrass mandolin in the $3,500 range"

At this price point, I implore you to consider the standard Daley F model. His website still lists it at $3500. I was really taken with a Collings MF but it was a little over my budget meaning I didn't have enough bread to buy it - then this Daley became available and I haven't looked back. I haven't played an F-9 yet that did it for me yet, I do own an A-9 that does. I also have a F5-G that is close, I think sounds great but not as good as the Daley. I have only played a Stiver A model and it was "all that".
Good luck in your choosing.