PDA

View Full Version : Best Book/CD Mandolin Package for Old Time Music.

KoalaBear
Mar-27-2018, 5:06pm
Hi all, any suggestion for a good book/CD combination that covers the basics and beyond in this style of music. Thank you all and appreciate your wisdom.

KoalaBear Tan

Jim Garber
Mar-27-2018, 9:26pm
Book? for Old time? There are books and videos etc but the best way is to use your ears.

Find yourself a local jam and sit in the back and listen to what is going on. Write down tune names and keys of ones you don't know. Talk to folks and get used to how things go.

Then listen to players on youtube or elsewhere.

Where are you at musically on the mandolin? Do you play other genres? Are you a beginner on mandolin or just playing old time?

KoalaBear
Mar-27-2018, 10:06pm
Book? for Old time? There are books and videos etc but the best way is to use your ears.

Find yourself a local jam and sit in the back and listen to what is going on. Write down tune names and keys of ones you don't know. Talk to folks and get used to how things go.

Then listen to players on youtube or elsewhere.

Where are you at musically on the mandolin? Do you play other genres? Are you a beginner on mandolin or just playing old time?

Hi Jim, am over in Oz in New South Wales and have been playing guitar for a long time as well as, the banjo for about eight months, while the mandolin for about six months.Here is a link to my tunes and current recordings that will give you an idea on my playing styles with the band and my songs.Would like to have a better understanding of playing the mandolin for recording purposes, as well as, the banjo and ukelele.What books and videos do you have in mind.Here is my link to my music tracks:

www.reverbnation.com/gaetanobevilacqua

a.k.a Tan D KoalaBear.

Jim Garber
Mar-28-2018, 9:19pm
Here (https://www.slippery-hill.com/) is one very good resource for recordings. I will think of other resources that you can access and get back here.

Mike Seeger's Old-Time Country Mandolin (https://www.homespun.com/shop/product/old-time-country-mandolin/) might be a good starter. And you can download it from their site.