PDA

View Full Version : AKG C411 Preamp Suggestions

Miked
Mar-26-2018, 1:59pm
I recently got an AKG C411 PP and have been really pleased with it. Prior to that, I had been trying to mic my instrument and was constantly battling feedback issues. The C411 seems to be a good compromise and sounds good enough for the types of the places we typically play.

The one thing I need to look into is some local control for muting and phantom power since we have some gigs coming up where we will be using the house PA. I've read through some of the previous threads, and the no frills solution appears to be an ART Tube MP. On the other hand, it looks like the Headway EDB-2 would give you total control for dialing in your sound. It's a little pricey, so I'm wondering what other options might be out there. Thanks!

Bruce Clausen
Mar-26-2018, 2:09pm
I used the 411 for a few years long ago with good results. I just plugged it through a 4-channel mini-mixer that had phantom power and basic EQ for each channel. Cost of the mixer was well under $100. Separate outputs for house system and monitors, and you've got the extra channels if you ever need them. Something like that might work for you too.

Toni Schula
Mar-26-2018, 3:02pm
I recently got an AKG C411 PP and have been really pleased with it. Prior to that, I had been trying to mic my instrument and was constantly battling feedback issues. The C411 seems to be a good compromise and sounds good enough for the types of the places we typically play.

The one thing I need to look into is some local control for muting and phantom power since we have some gigs coming up where we will be using the house PA. I've read through some of the previous threads, and the no frills solution appears to be an ART Tube MP. On the other hand, it looks like the Headway EDB-2 would give you total control for dialing in your sound. It's a little pricey, so I'm wondering what other options might be out there. Thanks!

You can go directly to any desk with phantom power. Or directly to any preamp for condensor mics. The C411 in fact is an electret mic, which picks up sound via contact to the top.

almeriastrings
Mar-27-2018, 1:12am
Unless you need 'local' control of the C411, with gain and EQ controls close at hand, you really don't need a separate preamp - just run it straight into the main desk via a mic XLR.... works perfectly, as others have pointed out.

If you do need 'local' control. the Headway EDB-2 is very good, or any mini-mixer with suitable EQ....

mandroid
Mar-27-2018, 2:07pm
+1, any small sub mixer will work , its phantom power meets the power regulator in the plug of the cord..

[I assume you got the PP, & did not get the one with the battery power-pack-supply -blender.. the L version ]

Sub mixer with an EFX loop out and in, and you can add a multiband EQ, in that loop ,
if you find the mic channels 3 bands are inadequate.

FWIW, Looks like just 9v is the minimum Phantom power requirement

https://www.akg.com/Microphones/Condenser%20Microphones/2571Z00040.html