PDA

View Full Version : Grady Jones

b.pat
Jul-11-2005, 3:41pm
Just noticed that the latest addition to the F style Eye candy section is Grady Jones. If you ever get a chance to play one of these , don't pass it up.

He is doing something with "Nodal tone bar bracing" that really has an amazing result. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the volume will shock you.

Here is a link to some pictures of one that I picked up off of Ebay, When it was at Elderly. [Does that make sence ?]

Grady Jones (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/GRADY22.htm)

He kind of flys under the radar [no web site], but he is doing some very interesting work.

B.Pat

pathfinder
Jul-12-2005, 12:42am
I played 2-3 of his koa models at Elderly two years ago. #Beautiful materials and workmanship, and he doesn't seem to believe in truss rods. #One of Elderly's staff said that he's an elderly gentleman located somewhere in Michigan. #

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'nodal' tonebar bracing and why does it improve the sound?

Big Joe
Jul-12-2005, 8:41am
Grady is an incredible person and a joy to be around. He has devised his own bracing system and is trying to get it more diverse coverage. He makes a very good looking mandolin. I once had an F4 of his. Beautiful instrument. His tone is not traditional bluegrass, but he does have a tone of his own with his bracing system.