PDA

View Full Version : Well, my 48 hrs are up

Frost
Mar-18-2018, 9:26pm
Please forgive my excessive exhuberance for a Sunday night :)

Took delivery of a new mandolin on Friday, it was Girouard A5 Emsemble # 170 dated February 2018. I’ve played most of the weekend, the 48 hour trial period was up a few hours ago and I’ve still got the mandolin so I guess it’s staying.

After hours spent in a futile search for nearby mandolins that I was interested in and could afford, I contacted TME in hopes of a recommendation based on one of their demo videos and my best description of what I was hearing and looking for. The gentleman recommended a Girouard A5 Ensemble they had in stock as one that covers some of the same ground.

My crappy cell pics below will have to do. But you can find better ones online showing it in all it’s glory, if so inclined to go searching. I believe there was a photo on Girouard facebook page as well. Needless to say it is a gorgeous mandolin.

Sound clip - https://soundcloud.com/a-frost/new-toys

Unfortunately you might be hearing as much of the old broken mic & the basement as the mandolin, sorry. It’s just me fooling around getting to know the thing. Apologies for playing errors, I haven't been at this that long yet :). .

Pics:

Specs
• Big Leaf Maple back and sides
• Red Maple neck
• European Spruce top
• 13.875" SL
• 1.125" nut width
• Compound fretboard radius (12" - 7.25")
• Fretboard & peghead overlay: Macassar
• Bone nut
• Nickel steel frets
• Fret Size 043 x 080
• Fret Dots: MOP
• Tortoise binding
• Adjustable truss rod
• Soft V neck shape
• Allen tailpiece
• Rubner tuners
• Girouard bridge
• Inlay: Girouard script and Fleur-de-lis
• Strings: Curt Mangan
• Action Height: low (0.6060 bass & 0.055 trebble)
• Travelite case
• Stain Color: Hand rubbed dark burst
• Varnish finish

Very happy! Now I need to figure out a way not to need to work anymore so I can play it as much as I want.

DataNick
Mar-18-2018, 9:29pm
Congrats! and enjoy!

MoreThanQuinn
Mar-18-2018, 9:31pm
Awesome! As I mentioned in the other thread, congrats and enjoy.

No matter the mic quality, that is one sweet sounding mandolin. I really like the sound of it.

Jill McAuley
Mar-18-2018, 10:00pm
Congratulations! Your Girouard sounds great, and looks wonderful! I've got Max building me an A (Concert model with oval hole), and can't wait til I can get my hands on it! He and Lauri are making fantastic instruments!

ccravens
Mar-18-2018, 10:42pm
Congrats to you!

I've got two Girouard instruments, and count myself fortunate.

Play and enjoy in good health!

Louise NM
Mar-18-2018, 10:57pm
Oops, that 48 hours just slid past, huh? Congratulations.

bigskygirl
Mar-18-2018, 11:25pm
Wow, it looks great! Congrats!

HonketyHank
Mar-18-2018, 11:36pm
Sounds great! Thanks for posting the sound clip. Take good care of that thing.

zedmando
Mar-19-2018, 1:01am
Cool
Enjoy!

Gelsenbury
Mar-19-2018, 3:57am
The mandolin looks and sounds great, and you play it so well! Enjoy this new acquisition.

Mark Wilson
Mar-19-2018, 6:06am
Congratulations! It looks and sounds like a keeper. Enjoy

Now I need to figure out a way not to need to work anymore so I can play it as much as I want.

Since I retired last year, playing mandolin all morning has become a routine.
I can say with certainty that "it doesn't suck" :mandosmiley:

Bunnyf
Mar-19-2018, 6:11am
Looks great and you sounds great. Gee, I feel bad though when you say you haven't been "at it long". I must be doing something wrong. I hope that "not long" is actually fairly long or I'm gonna get depressed. Anyway, enjoy your lovely mandolin!

MissingString
Mar-19-2018, 8:16am
That's a real beauty, congratulations!

jab
Mar-19-2018, 10:26am
Apologies for playing errors, I haven't been at this that long yet :).

I wish I sucked that good :)

V70416
Mar-19-2018, 10:43am
The last part of your original post reminded me of what David Grier said when asked how to get better at playing an instrument when only 30 minutes a day is doable. He said you can't do it in 30 minutes a day;so,quit your job. Or something like that.

Easier said than done.

Charlie Bernstein
Mar-19-2018, 11:45am
That ain't kindling, man! Congrats!

Denman John
Mar-19-2018, 11:46am
Very attractive looking mandolin and sounds great to boot!

Enjoy it in good health!

Joh

LadysSolo
Mar-19-2018, 6:59pm
The last part of your original post reminded me of what David Grier said when asked how to get better at playing an instrument when only 30 minutes a day is doable. He said you can't do it in 30 minutes a day;so,quit your job. Or something like that.

Easier said than done.
Yeah, if you quit your job you can't buy more mandolins! However, I will say that I make progress on an average of about 30 min/day (some days an hour, some days I have to miss) - it's slow progress, but it's progress!

Don Grieser
Mar-19-2018, 7:38pm
You made a wise choice. Enjoy!!

seankeegan
Mar-20-2018, 5:13am
Congratulations on the new mandolin. Sounds and looks great.

Well wear!