PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Hull plays a Duff octave mandolin

Charles E.
Mar-16-2018, 10:12am
Wow, what a beast of an instrument........

:grin:

JeffD
Mar-16-2018, 11:13am
Ferocious playing with such a calm and serene expression. Just wonderful.

I had not heard a Duff Octave. A lot to recommend it. Wow.

DougC
Mar-16-2018, 12:36pm
That is a BIG instrument. She knew just what to do with those wide frets. And what a great tone!

vanguard
Mar-16-2018, 3:51pm
I can never break the "honey I shrunk the kids" illusion when watching folks play those things.

Jstring
Mar-16-2018, 3:58pm
Amazing how she just continues to get better. Some artists seem to plateau after a time, but not her.

I’ve heard her play Old Dangerfield many times on different YouTube videos, and it sounds like there’s a new lick or variation every time. She’s really dedicated to her craft.

Charles E.
Mar-16-2018, 5:11pm
I think that instrument is a Mandocello rather then an octave mandolin. Sierra is petite but that thing is huge.

JL277z
Mar-17-2018, 4:00am
I think that instrument is a Mandocello rather then an octave mandolin. Sierra is petite but that thing is huge.

It is a mandocello body, according to one of the comments by Carter Vintage Guitars a year ago at that same YouTube page:

"We got this instrument directly from Duff. This is a octave mandolin with a mandocello sized body."

jesserules
Mar-17-2018, 5:35am
It is a mandocello body, according to one of the comments by Carter Vintage Guitars a year ago at that same YouTube page:

"We got this instrument directly from Duff. This is a octave mandolin with a mandocello sized body."

Okay, then it's a mandocello tuned like an octave mandolin.

John Gardinsky
Mar-17-2018, 6:34am
Okay, then it's a mandocello tuned like an octave mandolin.
I was under the impression that scale length defined the instrument more than the body.

willkamm
Mar-17-2018, 10:44am
I was under the impression that scale length defined the instrument more than the body.

I know now I'm more confused than I was. That is what I thought though.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like Sierra at 8-10 years old with her mandolin.

JL277z
Mar-17-2018, 11:34pm
... It looks like Sierra at 8-10 years old with her mandolin.

:)) One of the YouTube commenters (below the video at the actual YouTube page) apparently thought she actually was in that age range, because they wrote:

"blows me away how many talented kids there are in the 10-14 year age range anymore"

To which someone else replied:

"She's 25"

Lol. Sometimes the YouTube comments are almost as entertaining as the videos themselves. :)) And of course, as with any competent female musician who dares to show even her face on YouTube, there's also the predictable "I love you" comment from some probably-infatuated fan; difficult to avoid unless one takes preemptive measures to stave off those types of comments. Surprised there aren't the usual "marry me" and "how do i get to know u" comments. :whistling: