PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this fiddle?

s foster
Mar-11-2018, 4:32pm
Someone gave me a fiddle today and i can't find any info about it on line. The tag in it says " made expressly for and professionally shop adjusted by Williams Gengakki violins. Model : bernstein seven eighths " serial number " 9116" model and year are written in ink pen .
I know very little about fiddles and even less about violins. So does anyone know what this is?

allenhopkins
Mar-11-2018, 4:45pm
Well, Williams Gengakki was apparently a company that sold violins in the US and Tokyo, Japan. I assume you went to the website (http://www.williamsgengakki.co.jp/English.htm) and saw the announcement that they were going out of business. Yelp reports (https://www.yelp.com/biz/williams-gengakki-violins-atlantahttps://www.yelp.com/biz/williams-gengakki-violins-atlanta) that their US store was in Atlanta GA. I'm going to guess that the instruments were Asian-made and imported to the Atlanta shop, but you'd need to do a bit more research..

The "7/8" label indicates a slightly smaller than standard-size instrument, probably designed for a younger student. I'd speculate that "Bernstein" might indicate a particular design.

A picture might allow some of the Cafe fiddlers to tell you more. And I'm interested in your saying "I can't find any info about it on line." I found quite a bit about Williams Gengakki in five minutes of Googling. What else did you want to know?

Marty Jacobson
Mar-11-2018, 5:20pm
The Atlanta store is the local violin store my parents took me to when we needed violin stuff or bow rehairs when I was a kid. They had a good reputation with the local pros but also sold some entry-level stuff imported from Eastern Europe and possibly Asia. They also sold some pretty nice instruments, but their private label lines would be basic student instruments with a competent set-up.

s foster
Mar-11-2018, 6:13pm
Thanks for the responses.
What I meant about not being able to find out anything online was that I can't find anything on that particular model.
I am sure it's some kind of student model .the back is not book matched. I'm sure it would be if it were a high end instrument.
Incidentally, the case is made by bobelock with a built in hygrometer and contains a codabow conservatory bow. The bows range from 350 to 400 new , apparently.and you thought a blue-chip pick was pricey.

s foster
Mar-11-2018, 6:21pm
Mainly I was just curious if any body knew anything about their " store brand" instrument. Who made them for w.g. and where. Etc.

Jim Garber
Mar-11-2018, 6:55pm
Someone gave me a fiddle today and i can't find any info about it on line. The tag in it says " made expressly for and professionally shop adjusted by Williams Gengakki violins. Model : bernstein seven eighths " serial number " 9116" model and year are written in ink pen .
I know very little about fiddles and even less about violins. So does anyone know what this is?

Whoever you end up talking or writing to about this, you should at least supply the model and year and some photos. Fiddles and violins are really the same instrument.

Thanks for the responses.
What I meant about not being able to find out anything online was that I can't find anything on that particular model.
I am sure it's some kind of student model .the back is not book matched. I'm sure it would be if it were a high end instrument.
Incidentally, the case is made by bobelock with a built in hygrometer and contains a codabow conservatory bow. The bows range from 350 to 400 new , apparently.and you thought a blue-chip pick was pricey.

7/8 would be most likely either a student model or designed for a small adult. Most fractional violins are not serious quality and given the bow and the size was probably meant for a student. $350-400 is not a lot for a bow but you can't really compare it to a Blue Chip pick. It is a decent quality student setup in any case.

My suggestion is that you take it to a local violin shop and have them look over it. I am assuming you are looking to sell it and perhaps it might be worth it to consign it in that shop.

s foster
Mar-11-2018, 7:21pm
Jim , I will be taking your advice and take it to someone who knows their stuff. Maybe sell it , maybe not. I would provide a pic but the lens on my phone is scratched and produces blurry pics. Thanks for the reply.
The fiddle - violin thing and the blue chip thing were jokes , btw. Guess they fell flat. Thanks for the advice.

Folkmusician.com
Mar-11-2018, 7:29pm
Guess they fell flat.

Something to do with flat picks....

allenhopkins
Mar-11-2018, 9:11pm
Googling around, what I found indicates that Reginald Williams, of Williams Gengakki Ltd., apparently was a violin maker in Atlanta who made instruments and sold imported (Eastern Europe, Asia) student-grade instruments as well. I found a Williams Gengakki viola for sale at a violin shop for $3K, so I'm assuming it was of good quality.

There's a 14-year-old thread on Violinist.com (http://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/5363/) discussing the pros and cons of Wiliams' shop; there are also many references to Atlanta-area violin makers and repairers who worked there. I agree completely with Jim G's analysis that a 7/8 model is most likely a student instrument; however, the "Bernstein" name may ID a violin maker who worked for Williams, or apprenticed there. Alternatively, it may designate a model labeled after a well-known classical musician or composer -- Mozart, Vivaldi, Bernstein et. al. Or whatever.

Violin expertise is needed, none of which I possess.

rcc56
Mar-11-2018, 10:22pm
Williams Gengakki violins are student grade instruments with fancy fittings. They are passable instruments, but nothing to write home about. They were probably overpriced when new.

There is a certain practice among some violin retailers of putting fancy labels and fittings on student grade imports and selling them to proud parents at inflated prices.

Similar instruments without designer labels and fancy fittings can be purchased new in the $500 to $1000 range.

Jeff Hildreth
Mar-12-2018, 12:03am
The price was right.