PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased Balalaika

grm
Mar-06-2018, 12:51pm
I purchased a Balalaika at an estate sale the other day. I didn't know what it was exactly but thought it looked pretty neat. I'm trying to find out who the maker is and what I have basically. it says 1976 on the inside and has a lot of Russian writing. It also has a emblem kind of like a octagon with 4 points inside of it and the letters CCCP. Any help in identifying what I have would be greatly appreciated. I have been listening to videos of people playing these and I am blown away. love this instrument. Thanks

Seter
Mar-06-2018, 12:56pm
It is probably made at the Lunacharsky factory in St. Petersburg/Leningrad. I have one from the 1960s, they made mandolins and other assorted instruments as well, and luckily usually stamped year of manufacture. Is your strung with all steel or a combo of steel and nylon? I used a Roosebeck string set with the steel/nylon combo, once the steel A string wore out though I bought an equivalent gauge single Elixir string from www.JustStrings.com

grm
Mar-06-2018, 1:00pm
Its a combo 1 steel and 2 nylon. I really didn't know anything about these and now that I have been researching I love the music played with them amazing

Jim Garber
Mar-06-2018, 1:01pm
CCCP = SSSR (Soviet era). Can you post a photo of the label or any other branding. There are some of us here who can at least read the Russian alphabet.

Seter
Mar-06-2018, 1:03pm
Here is a history of the Lunacharsky factory that is interesting reading, scroll down halfway if you don't read Russian: http://www.bostonbalalaika.com/lunacharskaya_istoriya_ru.html Boston Balalaika is a good general resource for balalaika playing as well.

grm
Mar-06-2018, 1:03pm
Let me see what I can do. Its tough because its on the inside of course. Thanks

MikeEdgerton
Mar-06-2018, 1:13pm
Russian built instruments were built in government run factories to government specifications. One of the items on that label will be the specification number for the instrument. I'ts kind of hard for most of us to understand. I work with a young Russian lady that generally translates the labels for me when I run into them.

DavidKOS
Mar-06-2018, 1:46pm
I used a Roosebeck string set with the steel/nylon combo, once the steel A string wore out though I bought an equivalent gauge single Elixir string from www.JustStrings.com

Its a combo 1 steel and 2 nylon. I really didn't know anything about these and now that I have been researching I love the music played with them amazing

You can use a .010 inch plain loop end steel string for the high A, and for the 2 E's, use a classical guitar G.

If you search the net there are a number of good free balalaika method books.

I love the instrument.

OP? does your have the full length fingerboard?

mandroid
Mar-06-2018, 1:59pm
Domra adds that 4th string..

DavidKOS
Mar-06-2018, 2:48pm
Domra adds that 4th string..

And different tunings.

Prima balalaika is tune EEA, a unison and a 4th.

3 string domras are tuned in 4ths

4 string domras are tuned in 5ths

Deb70
Dec-13-2018, 4:51pm

Can you maybe help me?

Jim Garber
Dec-13-2018, 5:37pm
Deb70: what kind of help are you looking for?

BTW juststrings.com (http://www.juststrings.com/balalaika.html) carries two brands of balalaika strings.

Ranald
Dec-13-2018, 7:32pm
CCCP = SSSR (Soviet era). Can you post a photo of the label or any other branding. There are some of us here who can at least read the Russian alphabet.

Typo there. That should be "CCCP means USSR." (Every Canadian of a certain vintage knows that from international hockey tournaments.)

Jim Garber
Dec-13-2018, 8:22pm
Ranald: I think i was just transliterating the letters not the meaning. That is OK.

Charlie Bernstein
Dec-13-2018, 9:25pm
I have one. Bought it for $50, thinking I could tune it up and fool with it.

Wrong. Turns out there are two types of balalaikas: one for musicians, made to be played, and one for tourists, meant to be hung on the wall. The tourist ones look like real instruments but are unplayable. Grr.

And yes, CCCP was the Soviet Union.

Deb70
Dec-14-2018, 12:45am
Can you maybe help me?

I messaged you on Facebook I have photo of an engraved palate I’m hoping you can help me with. Will you check that out or even feel free to email me atbradshawrdkvs@yahoo.com

Deb70
Dec-14-2018, 12:54am
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ui4iPMXIWxBVydvay4yhopLg
I’m new to this feed and not sure how to post a photo

yankees1
Dec-14-2018, 3:57am
Never heard of one until the movie Dr Zhivago came out. Beautiful sound !