PDA

View Full Version : Oval hole strap mounting

B381
Feb-19-2018, 8:41pm
Just picked up an Eastman oval hole. The sound and playability are amazing.

Trying to get used to the strap on the peghead as there is no elevated fretboard.

Other than installing a pin, what is your method of mounting your strap? Yep, I searched first.

Denman John
Feb-19-2018, 8:48pm
Headstock between the nut and lowest tuners.

pops1
Feb-19-2018, 10:47pm
Headstock but not near the nut, it is always in the way. I string it between the G and D tuners on that side and between the A tuners on the other. To me it is the best support, I don't like it on the heel, and out of the way.

billykatzz
Feb-19-2018, 11:18pm
I tried going online to get a better view of the fretboard of an Eastman A-style oval hole to see if it has a raised fretboard. I was looking at photos of the 504 model, but I couldn't tell.

If it does have a raised fretboard with a gap between it and the top, you can attach a strap between the fretboard and top ahead of the oval soundhole. I have two Collings A style mandolins: an MT and an MTO. Both have straps attached to them as described.

B381
Feb-19-2018, 11:56pm
As I posted, it does not have a raised fret board.

pops1
Feb-20-2018, 12:38am
Mine has a raised fretboard, I prefer to use the headstock. I also have a button on the heel, I took it off. I prefer to use the headstock. To me it is a better balance and easier to get on and off.

Gary Leonard
Feb-20-2018, 12:38am
Install a pin. I know you said other than installing a pin, but I think you will be unhappy with the headstock solution. It's pretty easy, drill a pilot hole and use wax when setting the screw.