PDA

View Full Version : It Occurred to Me...

MoreThanQuinn
Feb-14-2018, 10:20pm
I've had my mandolin about six weeks now, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I play it constantly, often 2+ hours a day. I practice diligently, I mess around and have fun, I watch videos to get inspired, I fall asleep excited to play tomorrow, I look up techniques... You get the point.

And it occurred to me today that the amount of time and effort (and love) I've been putting into the mandolin is exactly what my violin teacher has always wished I would put into the violin...

I guess sometimes an instrument just clicks with you, you know?

Zach Wilson
Feb-14-2018, 10:24pm
Way to go!

I'm sure my piano teacher, Miss Feldman would be thrilled to hear I'm still playing music... just not piano.

UsuallyPickin
Feb-14-2018, 10:33pm
Play that mandolin for a few years and you might find yourself picking up that violin and calling it a fiddle .. .. .. .. I did .R/

MoreThanQuinn
Feb-14-2018, 11:17pm
Funny you say that. I've already bought a book of fiddle tunes to learn on violin.

Bertram Henze
Feb-15-2018, 2:55am
And it occurred to me today that the amount of time and effort (and love) I've been putting into the mandolin is exactly what my violin teacher has always wished I would put into the violin...

I guess sometimes an instrument just clicks with you, you know?

I know EXACTLY what you mean. :cool:

Funny you say that. I've already bought a book of fiddle tunes to learn on violin.

That's where we differ. I can never go back to the violin, no-no-no.

MikeZito
Feb-15-2018, 7:22am
You have definitely found a love for your instrument, and if you have enough natural talent and/or ability, you will progress quickly.

When I hear people say that they have to push their kids to practice, my first thought is: "If they don't love it, chances are that they will never really be good at it; they may get the technical parts down, but they may never play with the heart that it takes to make the music come alive.' On the other hand, some of us absolutely love our music, but we just don't have the natural talent or ability to ever really be good at it . . . we are lifetime intermediates.

Keep following your love for the mandolin, work hard and enjoy.

Bertram Henze
Feb-15-2018, 7:40am
When I hear people say that they have to push their kids to practice, my first thought is: "[I]If they don't love it, chances are that they will never really be good at it;

Love?? Boy, you don't play that menuet without a fault now you'll sleep in the cellar tonight, again!

https://s.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/rSlBRwjvzjjvctUHtFxNRQ--~D/cm90YXRlPWF1dG87dz05NjA7YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVv/https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/170601/592f793b647ed_trunchbull_1_592f78ed58666.jpg

Phil Goodson
Feb-16-2018, 10:10am
Yep. Happened to me in my mid fifties!:) A while back....:( ........:)

JEStanek
Feb-16-2018, 10:47am
The wand chooses the wizard. I'm glad the two of you connected!

Jamie

farmerjones
Feb-16-2018, 11:26am
Emersion isn't the only way, but it works for me too. :mandosmiley:
Enjoy your ride!

Willie Poole
Feb-16-2018, 11:39am
If you have the ability learn as much as you can on the fiddle, fiddle players are in demand a lot more than mandolin players and if you plan on making a career out of playing music a fiddle would be the way to go, most fiddle players can also play mandolin so you can still do both...I never could master the handling of the bow to ever get to where I sounded decent on a fiddle...Lots of screeching, the cat would go into hiding every time I took it out of the case...It now hangs on the wall...the fiddle, not the cat...:))

Willie