PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Tinny E Strings

Em Tee
Feb-10-2018, 12:08pm
I have been playing for about eight months now. I have an eastman 305, which I purchased from the mandolin store about three months ago. It's still strung with whatever strings come stock from TMS (j74, i think?) I use a blue chip CT55 pick. My E strings seem very tinny/whiny sounding, and it's honestly driving me a little crazy. I have been trying to compensate with right hand technique, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to mitigate the whine?

Thanks for the help!

(I tried searching the forum for old threads, but I am probably not using the right verbiage)

fscotte
Feb-10-2018, 2:12pm
Try using a heavier E string first. I've played a few eastman's here and there and most seem to have to E string tone you describe. I also notice that most stores use J74's on their mandos as well.

Em Tee
Feb-10-2018, 2:38pm
Any strings you recommend in particular?

Jim Garber
Feb-10-2018, 3:05pm
I could be wrong about this but if you have never changed the strings you may find the tone much nicer if you put new strings on it. If you basically liked the J74s, then stick with that. If you still hate the tone of the e-strings then replace those. You have top start somewhere.

Eric F.
Feb-10-2018, 3:34pm
Eight months without a string change is a bit extreme. If you haven't changed them out of fear of the unknown, frets.com has a nice tutorial.

Try angling the pick a little on the treble strings instead of hitting them head on. If new 74s sound tinny still, try a different set. Go up to 75s or try a different maker. Juststrings.com has a good variety of strings.

Em Tee
Feb-10-2018, 3:54pm
I have been playing for 8 months. I have only owned this mandolin for about 3. Less actually.

OneChordTrick
Feb-10-2018, 4:05pm
Even if it’s only 3 months I’d still change the strings as a first way to improve things. That was you’ll have a good baseline to make changes from. If you don’t like the tone from the new strings you can then try a heavier gauge.

pheffernan
Feb-10-2018, 4:40pm
While the CT55 is a fine pick, it's not the only option. You might consider a plectrum of another material (like casein) in a more rounded / less pointed shape with less dramatic bevels struck closer to the fretboard.

Kevin Stueve
Feb-10-2018, 4:53pm
part of why I traded my 305 in on a weber. That E was always tinny

Mark Wilson
Feb-10-2018, 8:01pm
While the CT55 is a fine pick, it's not the only option. You might consider a plectrum of another material (like casein) in a more rounded / less pointed shape with less dramatic bevels struck closer to the fretboard. Picks, then strings is where I would start.

I used a goldengate pick on my Kentucky to produce an E string tone I liked better than my fancy picks. It had a more rounded tip which helps as well.

The want to improve E string tone fueled my first mandolin upgrade purchase.

Em Tee
Feb-10-2018, 8:07pm
I used to use golden gates, i will give them a try again. I stopped using them because they dull the volume when i play.

pheffernan
Feb-10-2018, 8:44pm
part of why I traded my 305 in on a weber. That E was always tinny

The want to improve E string tone fueled my first mandolin upgrade purchase.

That's the other possibility, that after eight months of playing and three months with this particular instrument you are hearing its limitations and thinking about an upgrade.

MoreThanQuinn
Feb-10-2018, 11:06pm
As someone else who is relatively new to the instrument myself, I'll pitch in my two cents and say that I have noticed drastic sound differences out of different picks. As was mentioned above, I'm beginning to suspect that this has to do largely with the bevel. I have been switching back and forth between two very similarly shaped, similar gauge (1.2-1.3) picks recently and I have noticed that the rounder the bevel, the easier it is to get a good E course tone, but the sharper the bevel, the easier it is to a good G and D course tone. Just my experience though!

There are, of course, always so many variables at play. It's hard to really narrow it down to any one thing.

Eric F.
Feb-11-2018, 10:53am
I have been playing for 8 months. I have only owned this mandolin for about 3. Less actually.

Sorry, I misread your post. I'd still change strings and also try different picks, and think about your pick angle as you play. Finally, it might just have tinny-sounding e strings.

Em Tee
Feb-11-2018, 11:13am
That's the other possibility, that after eight months of playing and three months with this particular instrument you are hearing its limitations and thinking about an upgrade.

I'd love an upgrade. Unfortunately that's not for a couple years yet. I don't have the funds to get a pava, girouard, or collings. Was hoping to make what I got sound the best it can in the meantime!

Manfred Hacker
Feb-11-2018, 12:39pm
I have been playing for about eight months now. I have an eastman 305, which I purchased from the mandolin store about three months ago. It's still strung with whatever strings come stock from TMS (j74, i think?) I use a blue chip CT55 pick. My E strings seem very tinny/whiny sounding, and it's honestly driving me a little crazy. I have been trying to compensate with right hand technique, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to mitigate the whine?

Thanks for the help!

(I tried searching the forum for old threads, but I am probably not using the right verbiage)

In my experience, the CT55 produces a much brighter (tinnier?) tone than other (BlueChip) picks with more rounded edges.
When I had an Eastman years ago, my tone improved considerably with a 1.5 Wegen pick (rounded points). YMMV

Br1ck
Feb-11-2018, 1:10pm
A Wegen Dipper has three slightly different tips, and you can get them in 1.4 or 1.8.

It's also time to hone in on the sweet spot right up by the fretboard. I always crept back toward the bridge before I got an arm rest.

It's time to lighten up on your grip too. This was counter intuitive for me, but the more relaxed my right hand and wrist are, the better the tone.

Yes, it may also be time to think upgrade. I never had an issue with the E strings, but never liked the Gs. Alas, money solves these issues.

Time to play scales if you don't now. Go slow with a metronome and work on the right hand, relaxing your grip and striving for even tone on both up and down strokes. Like they say, when you start dropping the pick, you are cLose to optimum grip for tone.

foldedpath
Feb-11-2018, 1:18pm
Along with the other good suggestions here, I'd suggest making sure your action is set high enough on the E strings. When the action is just a little too low, or there is a high fret, you'll get a subtle buzz in the background as the string barely touches a fret somewhere that you're not actually fretting. Your description of a "whiny" sound made me think of this.

Since you bought the Eastman from the Mandolin Store I'm sure it had a good setup, but 3 months adjusting to your home environment might be causing the wood to shift a little. especially with a new instrument.

Even without an actual fret buzz problem, you'll probably get a stronger E string response with a slightly higher action, if you can handle it. I have the action just slightly higher than I would ideally like it on my Lebeda mandolin, because that's where I get the strongest response on the A and E strings. And this is with a very good setup. It's just the nature of the beast.

Pick&Grin
Feb-11-2018, 1:43pm
Welcome to the world of mandolin, Em Tee!
I just changed my strings, yesterday, after the E went tinny. Folks above are right. Sometimes my strings last longer, but 3months is pretty good and the time I usually change them. Enjoy!

roysboy
Feb-11-2018, 2:59pm
I don't think I've ever played an eastman that didn't have a ' tinny E string '. oops ...I'm lying ...I played a 605 once that was really lovely tone-wise with a nice warm , defined bottom end . I've always loved the feel of those mandos but that tinny sound was always an issue with me . I ended up using heavier strings and that helped on my old 305 but ended up parting with it . Playing style is a factor , of course ....but I've never noticed as thin a sound on other 'name' brands .

hucklebilly
Feb-11-2018, 3:11pm

I've got to second this. I realize the OP is not in the market for a new instrument, but in my experience, this is the real difference between budget mandos and the higher quality stuff. On a really good mandolin, no matter how hard you hit that E string, it just gets fatter and louder.

UsuallyPickin
Feb-11-2018, 3:19pm
OK ..... picks and strings .... a set of D'Addario EJ-75 strings with a .115 E string will help a bit. A softer pic will also help a Primetone or Dawg pick would be two choices. Plucking the strings further away from the bridge toward the fingerboard will also help. Between those three you will access the mellowest tone from your mandolin. The Eastman mandolin is a well built student grade instrument. Be patient and let it teach you all the different things technique wise that it can.... R/

Em Tee
Feb-11-2018, 3:55pm
OK ..... picks and strings .... a set of D'Addario EJ-75 strings with a .115 E string will help a bit. A softer pic will also help a Primetone or Dawg pick would be two choices. Plucking the strings further away from the bridge toward the fingerboard will also help. Between those three you will access the mellowest tone from your mandolin. The Eastman mandolin is a well built student grade instrument. Be patient and let it teach you all the different things technique wise that it can.... R/

This is tremendous advice. Thank you very much.

gspiess
Feb-12-2018, 8:22am
Two suggestions for the 305 that I have found helpful.

First, try a little bit of duct tape tucked inside the treble side f hole. Try it on the outside first to see how you like it. Any membrane will vibrate at the higher frequencies near the edges. The tape dampens those higher frequencies.

Second, order some Mapes coated phosphor bronze strings. They are less expensive, easy company to deal with, and the E strings are much "calmer" than the J74s.

Willie Poole
Feb-12-2018, 11:30am
If you order from Mapes you can name the gauges of each string you want and they will make you up custom sets at no extra charge, I am going to get some made with .016 A strings and .011.5 E strings because one mandolin that I have also sounds shrill on the E strings...I do use a Prime Tone rounded pick and also a Dawg pic but with those you do lose a little of the loudness, can`t have every thing I guess...Most of the gigs that my band plays is through a sound system so I can crank up the mic to be heard with the softer picks but when jamming I go to a harder pick just so I can be heard...

Willie

George R. Lane
Feb-12-2018, 1:48pm
Here is a link to the Mapes website; https://www.mapesstrings.com/product/mandolin-strings/

I use them on my Weber Yellowstone and use the custom feature for .115 - 0.16 - 0.26 - 040 in Phosphor Bronze.

I love them.