PDA

View Full Version : MIKE COMPTON, A GREAT PERSON, Old Devils Dream

peterleyenaar
Feb-09-2018, 2:53pm
Mike Compton is one of my favourite Musician/mandolin players, especialy his work with
John Hartford and his outstanding playing with The Nashville Bluegrass Band.

Mike is also a kind and gracious person:
I was looking for for sheet music for a song that I long have wanted to play,
"Old Devils Dream" , not to be confused with Devils Dream,
https://youtu.be/Es2dJODDJbk

I emailed Mike to see if he had in tab for this song, he came right back to me
saying that he hadn't tought about this song for a long time and didn't have any
material for it.
He said , he would tab it out for me, ask me the key I wanted in, the NBB did it in F
because that was the key they wanted to sing it in , so I asked him for G , being
easier than F.

About 3 days later , I received an email from Mike with "Old Devils Dream" in G
Both in Notation and Tab, very proffesional .

Thank you so much again Mike, you're the best.

Northwest Steve
Feb-09-2018, 3:31pm
Nice. I am amazed every time I watch him play. He is about the most efficient player, especially the right hand. No wasted motion.

Bob Visentin
Feb-09-2018, 6:11pm
Will you share the sheet music with the rest of us?

peterleyenaar
Feb-09-2018, 6:31pm
Hi Bob, I certainly will, however I have to get Mike's permission ,before I put it on this thread.

peterleyenaar
Feb-09-2018, 11:19pm
A bit of a messed up post , just ignore the attached thumbnails
Old Devils Dream164795

MoreThanQuinn
Feb-09-2018, 11:32pm
Awesome. I just bought on of their albums yesterday. I have been truly enjoying Stuart Duncan on the fiddle recently. Guess I should delve further into the direction of Mike Compton too.

Peter Coronado
Feb-10-2018, 12:27am
I had the pleasure of seeing Mike perform a solo house concert a couple of years ago. Watching his pick grip up close completely changed my approach. I will be forever grateful for that lesson that I got just by watching him.

farmerjones
Feb-10-2018, 10:07am
Salt of the Earth. Mike Compton's out there playing mandolin every day.
If you go to mikecompton.net and get a CD or three, you can own some great Music.
Not just Mandolin-centric Music, but great Music.
No, I'm not on his pay-roll. But as you can see, it's easy to be a taterbug fan!

peterleyenaar
Feb-10-2018, 11:10am
toyonpete,please tell us how you changed your grip on the pick.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-10-2018, 1:13pm
I've been listening to his Rotten Taters CD on a loop this past couple weeks, and am constantly amazed how good of a player he is. And he's a great singer to boot. I hope he comes back out West on tour again soon.

Ken
Feb-10-2018, 9:08pm
I've had a couple of workshops with Mike and agree that he is truly one of the Good Guys, and of course, a heck of a good mandolin player.