PDA

View Full Version : Mic and amp reccomendation for a sound newbie

Stainless
Feb-08-2018, 4:36pm
I have never used any sound equipment but find a need for a small sound system. There would be two instruments, and one vocal. Would two Shure 57’sfor the for the instruments, and one Shure 58 for vocals, fed into a Roland Streetcube EX be appropriate.

mandroid
Feb-08-2018, 5:22pm
Dynamics like the 57,58 can be spit into , with out problems .. singing will have S's and P's spittle is inevitable..

(Condenser mics this is not true, My Rode had desiccant pouches and zip lock bags included).

there are some internal, battery powered condensers .. increased sensitivity lets you stand back a little further..

you planning on busking? so that's why the street cube?

:whistling:

vince f
Feb-08-2018, 6:34pm
Do yourself a favor, get a Beta 58 for vocal. We tested a number of better audio dynamics (Audix OM5, Sennheiser 935, SM58), and this one won HANDS DOWN, particularly for male vocals. For instruments, I like SM57 for banjo, but not much else. A good small element condenser is the standard here.

Dacraw54
Feb-13-2018, 11:33pm
There’s a Shure Beta 58A in the Classifieds and some interesting pre-amps and mixers.

Mandobart
Feb-15-2018, 5:59am
Pretty sure there are only two combo inputs (mic/instrument) on the Roland Streetcube EX. How will you get two 57's and a 58 plugged in? When I was searching for a portable amplifier for use where there is no AC power, the streetcube EX was the best sounding for instruments and vocals of everything I tried. I ended up building a 200 W inverter system (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?121200-Portable-Amp-PA-Power/page2) for less than half the cost of the Roland. I can power any amp for several hours with it.

pops1
Feb-15-2018, 10:47am
Carvin made a stagemate with 4 channels that is a great small unit. Since they are selling out and revamping I don't know if they have any left, and they are quite pricey. You may find one on the used market, I have had two and still use one. They are very versitile, but only the new ones have phantom, but that is not a problem. They can also be powered by an internal battery.

Willie Poole
Feb-15-2018, 11:57am
If the amp only has two inputs you could use a mic mixer that takes multiple mics and plug that into your amp...I just happen to have a mixer that I will sell...Ahem...a PM will let you know all about it...

Willie