View Full Version : My new A style

Jul-07-2005, 9:04am
Well, here it is. I used tortoise binding, Corian nut, dyed the headstock veneer and fretboard black with leather dye and installed some gold tuners and tailpiece that I had lying around. I also got my name done in MOP from Bryan England, but accidentally put one of the letters on backwards. The finish is two coats amber shellac with about five coats of Truoil. I like a satin finish, so I didn't buff it out. I am awaiting a new bridge. This one is maxed out in height.

BTW, I think someone needs to give a tutorial on how to take good pictures of a mandolin.

Jul-07-2005, 9:05am
The back

Jul-07-2005, 9:10am
And finally a headstock.

Jul-07-2005, 9:31am
Wow, nice-looking back on that kit mando!
(Your headstock makes me think "Only a Jerman is good enough")

Darren Kern
Jul-07-2005, 11:00am
Dood, fantastic job. How does it sound?

Bill Snyder
Jul-07-2005, 2:56pm
Beautiful color. I hope you happy with it.

Jul-07-2005, 3:40pm
Thanks everyone. #The pictures don't do it justice. #It looks much worse in person. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
I get a bad rattle on the G string, so I am going to make a new nut and replace the bridge and spread the strings apart. #Basically, it needs a good setup. #I am going to take it to a local repair guy and he is going to teach me how to do a proper setup. #The bridge supplied was poorly done. #You can see, in the picture, how much I had to shift it to get it to intonate. #

The tone is good. #It definetely has volume and sustain. #I am hoping it will improve, especially the bass end, #with the setup.

Jul-08-2005, 7:13am
Did you stain the white binding on the neck with leather dye too? Did it work well?

It looks really nice, especially that backside! Wooo!

Jul-08-2005, 9:28am
Looks great. I'm still working on mine--I've gotten bogged down in finishing issues, but I'm rounding the last corner, I hope. I hope when the time comes, the camera will be kind to my work! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Jul-08-2005, 10:14pm
Jonas, I removed the binding that came on the fretboard and replaced it with .060 Tortoise binding. It came off very easily. Probably too easily. After I dyed the fretboard I scraped the binding. Incidentally, I dyed right over the frets and fret dots also and it wiped right off without a problem.

Stephanie Reiser
Jul-09-2005, 4:46am
Thistle, you did a really good job. It looks very nice.
The only thing I would do is I would take a hammer and kick the bass side of the bridge forward a little. Other wise it is a very nice mandolin, and you did really well.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jul-17-2005, 12:42am
You did a very good job with your kit. I like the finish that you went with and I really like the back.

Jul-17-2005, 8:07am
Hey, that's nice!